moonstars1973
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
I am stuck on my choice between two programs. This is incredibly long, but if you have the time, please read and give me your opinion. If you're going to be annoyed by the length and my indecisiveness just don't read lol.
The two most important things to me while studying abroad: will I get to have fun on a budget? (nightlife and partying), will I be able to find others to travel around Europe with and will it be easy and affordable to do so?
1. CIEE Open Campus
This program is a third party instead of direct enrollment. I get to design my experience. I am planning on spending 12 weeks in London, but I am not sure what to do with the other 6 weeks! I dont know if I'd stay in London or go to Italy, France, or south Africa. This program is really appealing because it's in London! Also there is more support with this program, I won't have to worry about too much and I am a pretty nervous person. This seems great but I'm afraid I'm not pushing myself. I'm going to list out the pros and cons.
Pros: London!, support, I'm going to be with other Americans who will most likely be more willing to travel, overall program cost would be cheaper, traveling is easy from London, I can complete an internship
Cons: London is expensive!, not pushing myself out of my comfort zone, will only get to befriend Americans, due to the block (6 weeks a block but i'm choosing 2 blocks in London if i do it) set up it won't feel as homey as an exchange, missing out on a uni experience
Will not studying at a university be less appealing in the professional sense?
My biggest pro is it's in London, a city I have always dreamed of living in and I feel there is so much less worry associated with this option
My biggest con is that I might be missing out by not going to a University (can I still get the same authentic student experience (social scene wise?)

2. University of Manchester
My second program choice is spending 4 months at the Uni of Manchester. At first, i was hesitant because I really wanted to live in London, but through research it seems that Manchester is really amazing too. There seems to be so much life and it seems as good as London in most ways. I am going to list the pros and cons
Pros: a true university experience, great city, more affordable cost of living, prestigious school, nightlife is amazing
Cons: I think it will be hard to find people to travel around Europe with since they will mostly be locals who aren't always down for a weekend trip, program cost is more expensive, have to do a lot of things on my own, weather is so different from where i'm from.
My biggest pro is that I would be getting a true university experience
My biggest con is that I think it might be more difficult for me to find others to travel around Europe with

I just want to know your opinion and what you would do in my situation. Thanks in advance!
Arctic Kitten
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I don't think it's hard to find someone up to travel. Most just don't have the budget to do so.
moonstars1973
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
boost
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (506)
33.67%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (622)
41.38%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (306)
20.36%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (69)
4.59%

Watched Threads