The Student Room Group

What benefits do you lose by homeschooling at 17

In terms of the government, financially what benefits do you lose by homeschooling/self teaching A levels at 17? I know you lose child benefit, but I am aware that there are some others. Can someone explain them?
Original post by onequestion805
In terms of the government, financially what benefits do you lose by homeschooling/self teaching A levels at 17? I know you lose child benefit, but I am aware that there are some others. Can someone explain them?

I was homeschooled from 13-16 and my Mam didn’t loose any benefits x
You can get your child benefit and tax credits if you have started home education before you were 16.
Have a look on Ed Yourself page for explanations about CB and CTC.
You will also have to pay for all study materials, exam fees and the cost of sitting exams in an exam centre as an external candidate.
Original post by Seamus123
You can get your child benefit and tax credits if you have started home education before you were 16.
Have a look on Ed Yourself page for explanations about CB and CTC.
You will also have to pay for all study materials, exam fees and the cost of sitting exams in an exam centre as an external candidate.

Yes I've had a look at that. Just to clarify, do you just lose child benefit and child tax credit if you start homeschooling post 16 (which is what I'm doing) or are there any other things you lose/have to pay. I'm aware of the exams fees and stuff and have already looked into that. Thank you :smile:
Original post by Princesspinky
I was homeschooled from 13-16 and my Mam didn’t loose any benefits x

I see. But I believe if you start homeschooling at or post 16 you lose child benefit and ctc. Thanks for the reply

Quick Reply

Latest