Higher French 2018-19 Watch

sbneelu
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 months ago
Hey y'all,

Here's a general thread for CfE Higher French 2018-19. It probably won't be very active until exam time but it could be helpful so I've created it early.

Spoiler:
Show

@Labrador99 Could you add this to the SQA exams thread please?
holly.king
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
Hi, does anyone have an easy method to learn tenses? Thanks
Labrador99
  • Volunteer Team
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
How's everyone getting on with Higher French? Is there any particular section of the exam that you're worried about?
vimtovibes
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Hi does anyone know a good dictionary for higher french as I was trying to find one and wasn't sure about what one would be best?
Thanks
Quick-use
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by vimtovibes)
Hi does anyone know a good dictionary for higher french as I was trying to find one and wasn't sure about what one would be best?
Thanks
I'd recommend this: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Collins-Fre...dp_ob_title_bk

Make sure to use your dictionary a lot before the exam so that you're comfortable with it.

As an aside, I used to also have the Oxford dictionaries for French and Spanish but the amount of times that they've failed me was too much. I found them extremely unreliable compared to the Collins dictionaries.

Also, here's a thread I made on language exams if you need any help: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho....php?t=2320896

Bonne chance !
vimtovibes
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
aww thank you so much, that really helped me
(Original post by Quick-use)
I'd recommend this: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Collins-Fre...dp_ob_title_bk

Make sure to use your dictionary a lot before the exam so that you're comfortable with it.

As an aside, I used to also have the Oxford dictionaries for French and Spanish but the amount of times that they've failed me was too much. I found them extremely unreliable compared to the Collins dictionaries.

Also, here's a thread I made on language exams if you need any help: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho....php?t=2320896

Bonne chance !
Quick-use
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by vimtovibes)
aww thank you so much, that really helped me
You're most welcome! Let me know if there's anything else I can help you with.
Rebecca123303
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Does anyone have phrases or that that helps with each topic of directed writing? or questions that are going to come up in the exams of each topic?
Also is there any websites that are really good for the reading in the higher french exam?
Hopeislife
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Hey! Anyone got last minute tips for the exam, feel like I'm consistently studying but nothing going in.
Quick-use
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Hopeislife)
Hey! Anyone got last minute tips for the exam, feel like I'm consistently studying but nothing going in.
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho....php?t=2320896
Hopeislife
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Thank you!!

Hopeislife
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Hi, anyone know the best way to cram for higher French?
Jess2222
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Hope for a bloody miracle
Jess2222
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Any advice on learning the whole french language literally days b4 the exam?
Hopeislife
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Crying? Write out the vocab you'll think your need and write them out until you know them
(Original post by Jess2222)
Hopeislife
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Have you tired scholar? I mainly use the how to pass higher french textbook recommend by sqa
(Original post by Rebecca123303)
Does anyone have phrases or that that helps with each topic of directed writing? or questions that are going to come up in the exams of each topic?
Also is there any websites that are really good for the reading in the higher french exam?
Jess2222
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Awh man am so bad at french. Literally gonna fail😩😩
Crying? Write out the vocab you'll think your need and write them out until you know them
sbneelu
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
Do past papers and stuff but when you're taking a break watch French films and YouTubers with subtitles and put your phone into French because it really helps. It's more effective if you do it over an extended period of time but even a few days of completely immersing yourself in the French language (even if you need subtitles at the start because you're still learning vocab with subtitles) really helps.
(Original post by Jess2222)
Labrador99
  • Volunteer Team
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Rebecca123303)
Have you tired scholar? I mainly use the how to pass higher french textbook recommend by sqa
:wavey: I've just merged your thread with the main one for Higher French- there's a few other people here chatting about the exam
Jess2222
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by sbneelu)
Do past papers and stuff but when you're taking a break watch French films and YouTubers with subtitles and put your phone into French because it really helps. It's more effective if you do it over an extended period of time but even a few days of completely immersing yourself in the French language (even if you need subtitles at the start because you're still learning vocab with subtitles) really helps.
I have literally done every past paper and specimen paper there is. I am going in on Monday (yep a day b4 the exam) to get last minute help. Do you have any advice on how to conquer the writing? Should I learn one and manipulate it to what comes up or? I am in a class of 4, 2 advance highers and 2 highers. The other girl sitting higher with me speaks 5 languages fluently, feel like an underdog
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• SOAS University of London
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 29 May '19
  • University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Day - Penryn Campus Undergraduate
    Thu, 30 May '19
  • Cranfield University
    Cranfield Forensic MSc Programme Open Day Postgraduate
    Fri, 31 May '19

How did your AQA A-level Business Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (202)
22.62%
The paper was reasonable (404)
45.24%
Not feeling great about that exam... (168)
18.81%
It was TERRIBLE (119)
13.33%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise