Higher French 2018-19 Watch

Jess2222
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
How do I change my phone into french? I have an I phone. I have a french key board but not my whole phone
(Original post by Jess2222)
I have literally done every past paper and specimen paper there is. I am going in on Monday (yep a day b4 the exam) to get last minute help. Do you have any advice on how to conquer the writing? Should I learn one and manipulate it to what comes up or? I am in a class of 4, 2 advance highers and 2 highers. The other girl sitting higher with me speaks 5 languages fluently, feel like an underdog
Hopeislife
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I think your doing amazing way better than me! Try learning different sentences and phrases that can kind of fit over all of them, like what you did at the weekend or how you got on with people.
I have literally done every past paper and specimen paper there is. I am going in on Monday (yep a day b4 the exam) to get last minute help. Do you have any advice on how to conquer the writing? Should I learn one and manipulate it to what comes up or? I am in a class of 4, 2 advance highers and 2 highers. The other girl sitting higher with me speaks 5 languages fluently, feel like an underdog
sbneelu
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
Omg yeah ik what you mean, my parents are both trilingual and I feel so inadequate haha.

For the directed writing I think a good way to prepare beforehand is to make a list of really good sentences (with as many tenses and verb types as possible) that are versatile enough to use in different scenarios and learn them. For example, I think there's guaranteed to be one about a visit to France for a school exchange or a work placement or for whatever reason, so a good sentence for that could be something like "I found it difficult to fit in at the beginning but it soon became a lot easier to communicate in French, and the trip really helped me improve my level of the language." because you could put that in to any directed writing about going to France or a French-speaking country.

Verbs are a really good way to gain a lot of marks in directed writing so try to include as many of the following as possible in your prepared sentences and also make a checklist of them during the exam and cross each one off as you use it so you use as many as possible:

- Present tense
- Perfect tense with avoir
- Perfect tense with être
- Imperfect tense
- Conditional mood
- Simple future tense
- Near future tense
- Near past tense (venir de...)
- Reflexive verbs
- Modal verbs with infinitive (pouvoir, vouloir, devoir)
- Impersonal verbs

You obviously don't need to use all of these but using as many as you can while sounding natural is really good because verbs are a really good way to get a lot of marks. Some of these are good in combination with others, like the imperfect with the conditional. If you use a reflexive verb in the perfect tense then you've got both a reflexive verb and a perfect tense with être in there.

You can also use the subjunctive but it doesn't get covered in the actual course until AH I think so you're not expected to know it, but you may have seen it used before.

On top of that, just do as many directed writings as you can and if you run out of prompts then try to come up with your own scenarios of trips to France and things like that and write about those.

Good luck!
sbneelu
Rep:
?
Go into Settings -> General -> Language and Region -> iPhone Language and then pick French.
How do I change my phone into french? I have an I phone. I have a french key board but not my whole phone
Jess2222
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Amazing thank you so much
(Original post by sbneelu)
Go into Settings -> General -> Language and Region -> iPhone Language and then pick French.
Jess2222
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
This has been brilliant help, thanks so much. As I am going in on Monday I may try to do a couple of ‘broad writings’ 😊
(Original post by sbneelu)
Omg yeah ik what you mean, my parents are both trilingual and I feel so inadequate haha.

For the directed writing I think a good way to prepare beforehand is to make a list of really good sentences (with as many tenses and verb types as possible) that are versatile enough to use in different scenarios and learn them. For example, I think there's guaranteed to be one about a visit to France for a school exchange or a work placement or for whatever reason, so a good sentence for that could be something like "I found it difficult to fit in at the beginning but it soon became a lot easier to communicate in French, and the trip really helped me improve my level of the language." because you could put that in to any directed writing about going to France or a French-speaking country.

Verbs are a really good way to gain a lot of marks in directed writing so try to include as many of the following as possible in your prepared sentences and also make a checklist of them during the exam and cross each one off as you use it so you use as many as possible:

- Present tense
- Perfect tense with avoir
- Perfect tense with être
- Imperfect tense
- Conditional mood
- Simple future tense
- Near future tense
- Near past tense (venir de...)
- Reflexive verbs
- Modal verbs with infinitive (pouvoir, vouloir, devoir)
- Impersonal verbs

You obviously don't need to use all of these but using as many as you can while sounding natural is really good because verbs are a really good way to get a lot of marks. Some of these are good in combination with others, like the imperfect with the conditional. If you use a reflexive verb in the perfect tense then you've got both a reflexive verb and a perfect tense with être in there.

You can also use the subjunctive but it doesn't get covered in the actual course until AH I think so you're not expected to know it, but you may have seen it used before.

On top of that, just do as many directed writings as you can and if you run out of prompts then try to come up with your own scenarios of trips to France and things like that and write about those.

Good luck!
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Turning my phone to French before the French exam has literally been so good, recognising more vocab instantly now rather than not being too sure/confident.
Stardom33
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Don't worry about it, I am awful at French too. 😊 This kid sits next to me in class and can literally speak fluently and the teacher and her are constantly talkinģ in French, so that's awkward.... 😣
To make things worse, the teacher picks on me a lot because I am weak in French, which is just great!
Anyway, good luck! 😄 (Bonne chance)
Awh man am so bad at french. Literally gonna fail😩😩
Jess2222
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Good luck, that’s awful the teacher treats you like that. Prove them all wrong and good luck too x
(Original post by Stardom33)
Don't worry about it, I am awful at French too. 😊 This kid sits next to me in class and can literally speak fluently and the teacher and her are constantly talkinģ in French, so that's awkward.... 😣
To make things worse, the teacher picks on me a lot because I am weak in French, which is just great!
Anyway, good luck! 😄 (Bonne chance)
Stardom33
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Thanks.
The teacher just yells at me in French all the time and keeps me back lol. No wonder I am failing...
I'll try my best to prove them wrong.
Hope you do really well. X
Quick-use
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Hey guys,

I made a thread a few years ago regarding Nat 5/Higher/AH language exams (with specific reference to French and Spanish). Please make sure to check it out if you need any help. Also, feel free to recommend it to your friends or teachers:

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2320896
Last edited by Quick-use; 1 week ago
Stardom33
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Merci, gracias!
Will do!
(Original post by Quick-use)
Hey guys,

I made a thread a few years ago regarding Nat 5/Higher/AH language exams (with specific reference to French and Spanish). Please make sure to check it out if you need any help. Also, feel free to recommend it to your friends or teachers: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho....php?t=2320896
Hopeislife
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Hi, anyone got tips for listening, can't seem to get more than half marks.
Jess2222
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Highly recommend listening to french songs that you know in English. sara’h does covers on YouTube if you search her up. Also there is an app which is called ‘lyrics training’ it makes you listen to songs and fill in missing words. Seems a bit cheesy but it works for me. Also get some YouTubers who speak french, also slow the volume down if it’s easier. Hope it helps
(Original post by Hopeislife)
Hi, anyone got tips for listening, can't seem to get more than half marks.
Hopeislife
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Thank you!! I really appreciate it
Highly recommend listening to french songs that you know in English. sara’h does covers on YouTube if you search her up. Also there is an app which is called ‘lyrics training’ it makes you listen to songs and fill in missing words. Seems a bit cheesy but it works for me. Also get some YouTubers who speak french, also slow the volume down if it’s easier. Hope it helps
Labrador99
  • Volunteer Team
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
How are you all feeling about the exam tomorrow?
Stardom33
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Stressed, scared, tired, nervous- but ready to prove a point and try my best. :dontknow:

I really want to do well to show my French teacher and the-girl-who-speaks-fluent-French that hard-work perhaps does pay off? :dumbells:

If I get a grade 8/9 in French, it's going straight in their faces lol. :hello:

Bonne chance tout le monde. 😊😊
Labrador99
  • Volunteer Team
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Stardom33)
Stressed, scared, tired, nervous- but ready to prove a point and try my best. :dontknow:

I really want to do well to show my French teacher and the-girl-who-speaks-fluent-French that hard-work perhaps does pay off? :dumbells:

If I get a grade 8/9 in French, it's going straight in their faces lol. :hello:

Bonne chance tout le monde. 😊😊
Hope that the exam goes well for you, and make sure you get a decent rest!

Grade 8/9? Guessing you are doing GCSE? If so, the threads here might have more relevant post exam discussion, as this one will be based on tomorrow's SQA Higher French exam
Stardom33
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Ok thank you! 😄
sbneelu
Rep:
?
Bonne chance à tout le monde pour demain !

Spoiler:
Show
Translation to avoid breaking community guidelines: Good luck to everyone for tomorrow!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Arts University Bournemouth
    Art and Design Foundation Diploma Further education
    Sat, 25 May '19
  • SOAS University of London
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 29 May '19
  • University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Day - Penryn Campus Undergraduate
    Thu, 30 May '19

How did your AQA GCSE Physics Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (401)
30.63%
The paper was reasonable (514)
39.27%
Not feeling great about that exam... (225)
17.19%
It was TERRIBLE (169)
12.91%

Watched Threads