Will Ireland Benefit The Most From Brexit? Watch

Other_Owl
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 11 months ago
As the UK and Ireland are part of their Freedom of Movement and Ireland also part of the EU which means is part of the EU Freedom of Movement.

The UK will be piggy backing off Ireland just to get the "benefits", from the EU. The EU will use Ireland as a back door to work, trade, etc, with/in the UK.
hello_shawn
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
No Deal will hit Ireland harder than the rest of the EU. It means a border on the island which they don't want, the loss of the Felixstowe to north Wales railway line which they rely on to get goods in from the rest of the EU, whether those goods will detour through France to reach Ireland is up to the businesses...
ByEeek
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
(Original post by Other_Owl)
The UK will be piggy backing off Ireland just to get the "benefits", from the EU. The EU will use Ireland as a back door to work, trade, etc, with/in the UK.
I think that is perhaps what the UK would like. However that would be a red line for the EU. The EU are not going to allow the UK to have our cake and eat it and rightly so.
JMR2019.
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
It will probably hurt Ireland more than any other EU country, if anything.
L i b
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
Agree with the above. Ireland's economy is closely tied to that of the UK. Barriers to trading with the UK will have a very considerable effect on Ireland.
Alfissti
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
Far from it, the countries that would gain the most from Brexit are France, Germany and most likely Holland.

Ireland on the other hand has an economy that relies far more on the UK than the rest of EU therefore it will be in their interest to avoid a no-deal Brexit. Doubt there would be much that can be done for the UK to harness Ireland economically as the EU would most likely see it as a back door or loophole to access the single market and I suppose it is rightly so that they would quickly close it.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you attending a Global Climate Strike?

Yes, I'm striking (40)
7.72%
No, but I wanted to/I support the cause (301)
58.11%
No (177)
34.17%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise