Ben878
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Hi,

Is taking two A levels in 1 year and taking another one a year afterwards a nono if you wish to apply to uni?
Reality Check
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Love for Love)
Hi,

Is taking two A levels in 1 year and taking another one a year afterwards a nono if you wish to apply to uni?
The question is why are you splitting them up like this? Are they the first A levels you've taken, or re-sits/additional ones/

The short answer is 'Yes, it's a nono'. Unis usually want to see three A levels taken together at the same sitting after a two-year course.
gdunne42
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Hi,

If you were applying to a top university or for a very competitive/demanding course like medicine or architecture it would be a problem. There are certainly universities and courses that expect results from 3 A levels taken in the same year. However if there are any good reasons for your plan, exceptions might be made. In many cases and especially for the less competitive universities/courses it won't be an issue.
Ben878
Rep:
?
(Original post by Reality Check)
The question is why are you splitting them up like this? Are they the first A levels you've taken, or re-sits/additional ones/

The short answer is 'Yes, it's a nono'. Unis usually want to see three A levels taken together at the same sitting after a two-year course.
I'm a mature student doing a resit (already done them once at sixth form).

I've had a change of plan since originally I only wanted to bump up two of my grades and I could only afford to sit two, however I would now like to go all the way and bump up all 3 grades for uni...

I guess my only option for this route is not to sit the exams this year and take them all next year with third subject?
Reality Check
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I'm a mature student doing a resit (already done them once at sixth form).

I've had a change of plan since originally I only wanted to bump up two of my grades and I could only afford to sit two, however I would now like to go all the way and bump up all 3 grades for uni...

I guess my only option for this route is not to sit the exams this year and take them all next year with third subject?
Have you spoken to the universities you're interested in to see their position on this? It's highly unlikely they would require you to sit all three again, particularly if you're a mature student. How old are you, and what course/uni are you thinking of applying to, if you don't mind my asking?
Ben878
Rep:
?
(Original post by Reality Check)
Have you spoken to the universities you're interested in to see their position on this? It's highly unlikely they would require you to sit all three again, particularly if you're a mature student. How old are you, and what course/uni are you thinking of applying to, if you don't mind my asking?
I haven't looked at the unis yet, don't have a particular one in mind - just asking on here to get a general confirmation that taking courses seperately seems to be looked down upon, so it seems more I've got to rearrange the way I will sit my exams (if my college will allow that). Unfortunately I'm interested in doing Chemistry, so just seems sense that I just need all 3 (good) grades due to competition, difficulty etc.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (57)
65.52%
I don't have everything I need (30)
34.48%

Watched Threads