The Student Room Group

Japanese GCSE or JLPT ?

I'm currently in y11 studying for my GCSEs and also doing Japanese at home with family and a tutor. I want to do some sort of qualification to prove my capabilities in the language but I don't know which sort of exam I should take. So far the pros of GCSEs are they are widely recognised in the UK and sort of "go with" the rest of the exams I'm going to take, and the pros of JLPT are that it is more internationally recognised and has many levels, however, I hardly know anything about it and which level would suit me best. Any advice would be appreciated!
Japanese GCSE lmao what? JLPT is the exam that is "recognised" by the Japanese government, so take that.
Japanese GCSE is more straightforward. You do the reading, speaking etc. on the set days and then eagerly wait for your results. JLPT takes more time since you have to decide what level you’re at, it generally expects more from you and honestly a qualification below N2 isn’t worth the money. It depends what you want the qualification for. If you’re planning on studying/working in Japan, spending a little longer for the JLPT is more rewarding. If it’s to put on your university application in the UK, go for the GCSE.

But, you can always do both?
Reply 3
Original post by TheBakedBean
Japanese GCSE is more straightforward. You do the reading, speaking etc. on the set days and then eagerly wait for your results. JLPT takes more time since you have to decide what level you’re at, it generally expects more from you and honestly a qualification below N2 isn’t worth the money. It depends what you want the qualification for. If you’re planning on studying/working in Japan, spending a little longer for the JLPT is more rewarding. If it’s to put on your university application in the UK, go for the GCSE.

But, you can always do both?

I just found out I'm going to be able to do Japanese (s/hl) at IB next year so I won't be needing either, but thanks so much for the advice!
Reply 4
Original post by spacewalkr
I just found out I'm going to be able to do Japanese (s/hl) at IB next year so I won't be needing either, but thanks so much for the advice!

Japanese at GCSE and A-level is ridiculous if you want to actually work with the language, you'll need to pass N2 at least eventually. There is, however, an argument for taking A-level Japanese and that's for entry into a Japanese course at university, if not then bear in mind that N4 is like A-level and N5 is GCSE and in my experience the progression through the levels is not linear so you can except N3 and N2 to take way longer
Reply 5
Original post by Ryanzmw
Japanese at GCSE and A-level is ridiculous if you want to actually work with the language, you'll need to pass N2 at least eventually. There is, however, an argument for taking A-level Japanese and that's for entry into a Japanese course at university, if not then bear in mind that N4 is like A-level and N5 is GCSE and in my experience the progression through the levels is not linear so you can except N3 and N2 to take way longer

Thanks for the help, but I'm going to be doing Japanese at IB whilst actually studying in Japan now, so I won't need either for now..

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending