spacewalkr
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
I'm currently in y11 studying for my GCSEs and also doing Japanese at home with family and a tutor. I want to do some sort of qualification to prove my capabilities in the language but I don't know which sort of exam I should take. So far the pros of GCSEs are they are widely recognised in the UK and sort of "go with" the rest of the exams I'm going to take, and the pros of JLPT are that it is more internationally recognised and has many levels, however, I hardly know anything about it and which level would suit me best. Any advice would be appreciated!
TheCapstan
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Japanese GCSE lmao what? JLPT is the exam that is "recognised" by the Japanese government, so take that.
TheBakedBean
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Japanese GCSE is more straightforward. You do the reading, speaking etc. on the set days and then eagerly wait for your results. JLPT takes more time since you have to decide what level you’re at, it generally expects more from you and honestly a qualification below N2 isn’t worth the money. It depends what you want the qualification for. If you’re planning on studying/working in Japan, spending a little longer for the JLPT is more rewarding. If it’s to put on your university application in the UK, go for the GCSE.

But, you can always do both?
spacewalkr
Rep:
?
(Original post by TheBakedBean)
Japanese GCSE is more straightforward. You do the reading, speaking etc. on the set days and then eagerly wait for your results. JLPT takes more time since you have to decide what level you’re at, it generally expects more from you and honestly a qualification below N2 isn’t worth the money. It depends what you want the qualification for. If you’re planning on studying/working in Japan, spending a little longer for the JLPT is more rewarding. If it’s to put on your university application in the UK, go for the GCSE.

But, you can always do both?
I just found out I'm going to be able to do Japanese (s/hl) at IB next year so I won't be needing either, but thanks so much for the advice!
Ryanzmw
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by spacewalkr)
I just found out I'm going to be able to do Japanese (s/hl) at IB next year so I won't be needing either, but thanks so much for the advice!
Japanese at GCSE and A-level is ridiculous if you want to actually work with the language, you'll need to pass N2 at least eventually. There is, however, an argument for taking A-level Japanese and that's for entry into a Japanese course at university, if not then bear in mind that N4 is like A-level and N5 is GCSE and in my experience the progression through the levels is not linear so you can except N3 and N2 to take way longer
spacewalkr
Rep:
?
(Original post by Ryanzmw)
Japanese at GCSE and A-level is ridiculous if you want to actually work with the language, you'll need to pass N2 at least eventually. There is, however, an argument for taking A-level Japanese and that's for entry into a Japanese course at university, if not then bear in mind that N4 is like A-level and N5 is GCSE and in my experience the progression through the levels is not linear so you can except N3 and N2 to take way longer
Thanks for the help, but I'm going to be doing Japanese at IB whilst actually studying in Japan now, so I won't need either for now..
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (14)
6.64%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (34)
16.11%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (34)
16.11%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (31)
14.69%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (57)
27.01%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (41)
19.43%

Watched Threads