The Student Room Group

Applying jointly?? Help???

I have a place confirmed for Warwick 2019. This is where I want to go. But... my partner and father of my baby didn't manage to get a place. We are desperate to go to the same uni and parent together, but how can we make sure of this?

He is retaking A levels and may get a place at Warwick, in which case, there's no problem. But, if he doesn't, then we won't know until next August, too late then to apply elsewhere.

I was thinking of having a new application and having an insurance choice, but I don't think I can do this since I have got my grades already so any offers would be unconditional.

Basically how do I keep/ get a new offer at Warwick while being able to go elsewhere if my partner doesn't get in?

UCAS helpline have been absolutely useless, there is no leniancy in the system for people applying together.

This is all really uncertain and stressful, any help or ideas will be massively appreciated! I'm kind of stuck.
Original post by stolenblue
I have a place confirmed for Warwick 2019. This is where I want to go. But... my partner and father of my baby didn't manage to get a place. We are desperate to go to the same uni and parent together, but how can we make sure of this?

He is retaking A levels and may get a place at Warwick, in which case, there's no problem. But, if he doesn't, then we won't know until next August, too late then to apply elsewhere.

I was thinking of having a new application and having an insurance choice, but I don't think I can do this since I have got my grades already so any offers would be unconditional.

Basically how do I keep/ get a new offer at Warwick while being able to go elsewhere if my partner doesn't get in?

UCAS helpline have been absolutely useless, there is no leniancy in the system for people applying together.

This is all really uncertain and stressful, any help or ideas will be massively appreciated! I'm kind of stuck.

If he doesn't get in you ask Warwick to defer your place by a year, or make a fresh application the following in line with his.

There is no mechanism for making joint applications.
Reply 2
Original post by stolenblue

If your partner is applying to Warwick again, you will know by April/May (and probably sooner) whether he has been made an offer, and any conditions attached to that offer. There isn't really anything it would be sensible to do until you've at least got that far.

If he doesn't get an offer, then you will have to consider whether you want to withdraw from your Warwick place and reapply elsewhere, in line with your partner's choices. If you are facing this decision in/by December, you will have time to complete the withdrawal process and submit a new application before 15 January. If you can't meet the 15 January deadline, you will be looking at making a late application - which can be done, but is likely to mean you have limited choices and they may not coincide with those your partner will have already made.

If he does get a conditional offer, then presumably you will want to wait and see whether he meets it. If it comes to it that he doesn't and Warwick won't take him anyway, these will be your choices:

hold on to your place at Warwick while your partner tries for a suitable alternative through Clearing - he may have to consider changing his course choice

ask Warwick if they will let you defer for a year while he has another go (which, to be honest, is unlikely to succeed if he's already tried twice)

withdraw from Warwick and start again with you both making a fresh application for 2020 start, but to other unis

withdraw from Warwick because you both decide to get jobs for the time being and postpone higher education for now

UCAS isn't designed to deal with couples applying, and nor should it be. Your applications have to be considered independently and separately from each other, in order to be fair to everyone else. The position you are in is, unfortunately, a challenge that faces many couples whose careers may take them in different directions geographically; it's just happening to you earlier.
(edited 5 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest