chlobo666
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Hey guys,

Just started my biological sciences degree and haven't taken a chemistry A level, it wasn't a required subject. However, there seems to be quite a bit of chem involved!

Was wondering if anyone could recommend some topics to go over as I haven't looked at chemistry for 2 years! :confused:

Thanks
virtualcounselor
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I never took Biology in IGCSE or A Levels (so until grade 7 to 9) however I did take Chemistry throughout my entire school life (grade 7 to 13) so what I'd suggest is to download the CIE AS and A Level coursebook on www.gceguide.com and then you can have the e-book with you whenever you need to go through anything
username1221160
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by chlobo666)
Hey guys,

Just started my biological sciences degree and haven't taken a chemistry A level, it wasn't a required subject. However, there seems to be quite a bit of chem involved!

Was wondering if anyone could recommend some topics to go over as I haven't looked at chemistry for 2 years! :confused:

Thanks
Key concepts you need to understand: ionic bonding, covalent bonding, intermolecular forces, rate of reaction. You will also need to be able to calculate concentrations. I assume you will cover some biochemistry in your first year, this can be supplemented with reading some basic organic chemistry.

Beyond that, teaching yourself the relevant chemistry when you need to is the best approach.
chlobo666
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
(Original post by Sulfolobus)
Key concepts you need to understand: ionic bonding, covalent bonding, intermolecular forces, rate of reaction. You will also need to be able to calculate concentrations. I assume you will cover some biochemistry in your first year, this can be supplemented with reading some basic organic chemistry.

Beyond that, teaching yourself the relevant chemistry when you need to is the best approach.
Thanks, this is really helpful
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What factors affect your mental health the most right now? (select all that apply)

Lack of purpose or routine (75)
15.18%
Uncertainty around my education (82)
16.6%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (45)
9.11%
Isolating with family (32)
6.48%
Lack of support system (eg. Teachers, counsellors) (21)
4.25%
Lack of exercise/ability to be outside (40)
8.1%
Loneliness (48)
9.72%
Financial worries (18)
3.64%
Concern about myself or my loved ones getting ill (49)
9.92%
Exposure to negative news/social media (34)
6.88%
Lack of real life entertainment (eg. cinema, gigs, restaurants) (50)
10.12%

Watched Threads