The Student Room Group
University of Sussex
University of Sussex
Brighton

2nd week at Uni; feeling lonely

It’s week 2 of me being at Sussex uni and feeling so incredibly lonely to the point I’m even making this forum.. I get on with my flatmates but we’re not so close and it feels like I’ve missed the window barrier of opportunity to make friends. I try so hard in lecture and seminars but to no avail... I can’t picture spending the whole year like this, not having that one close person
What honestly Can I do ?!?!?!
Reply 1
Original post by laurynbirdy
It’s week 2 of me being at Sussex uni and feeling so incredibly lonely to the point I’m even making this forum.. I get on with my flatmates but we’re not so close and it feels like I’ve missed the window barrier of opportunity to make friends. I try so hard in lecture and seminars but to no avail... I can’t picture spending the whole year like this, not having that one close person
What honestly Can I do ?!?!?!

Hey I had a similar story last year. What are you studying?
(edited 5 years ago)
University of Sussex
University of Sussex
Brighton
Original post by 408655
Hey I had a similar story last year. What are you studying?

Doing a foundation year - Bussiness management and economics
Reply 3
Doing a foundation year - Bussiness management and economics

It's only the beginning tbh and you're still settling in. Not to mention that your first 2 or 3 weeks of lectures/seminars will be fairly straight forward/easy to the point that revising now might bore you a lot after a few hours. And I think some people will settle in quickly and find their social groups, start going out with them a lot, while others will take longer. So maybe just give it a chance and see what happens? This is just what I would say generally
(edited 5 years ago)
I wish it were that easy... everywhere I look on campus everyone has their groups and meeting people in lectures and seminars is doing nothing since they have the personalities of dry paint and never want to progresss outside like after the lecture and semnair is done and over their gone ...:/ even if I ask what’s your plans for today , anything for the weekend
Join university international society..
Join different student unions. ...
Sorry to hear it, Lauryn. I've been in the situation before, and am kinda in it again now! But it's only been two weeks - that window of opportunity isn't really that narrow. Someone else proposed joining societies, and I agree, that can be a good way of meeting people. I definitely suggest you give it a chance, it's helped me at previous unis, and hope it will help here in Sussex as well. It may take some time to find them, but there are almost certainly people out there who you'll like and get along with. Also, while you may feel like the loneliest person in uni, I promise you, there's loads of people in the same situation. Please don't feel like you're a weirdo or a failure or that you're not meant for the uni experience. This is completely normal, and for most people, it eventually gets better.
Reply 7
I know someone really nice on here who also goes there, want me to link you up? She’s a great person :smile: She’s won’t be awkward at all.

And Trust me all your good friends are made during term time not the first few weeks. During the first few weeeks everyone is forcing themselves to make friends so they don’t feel lonely and eventually you find people/groups you actually really like and get involved with them. Also join societies, don’t let it get to you. I did at first but then I just thought it’s me missing out if I don’t push myself, people aren’t hostile at all especially during the first term
(edited 5 years ago)
Yeah - the answer here is: JOIN UNION SOCIETIES, at least three - one physical, 1 intellectual, 1 daft - that should mix it up a bit...

A
In the beginning it feels like everyone has found their person, but really everyone just panics and latches onto someone. Just keep trying and you'll find your people. Try out societies and the like where you already have something in common. I didn't find my close friend straight away either, we actually chatted a few times in class but nothing really clicked and then later in the year when we were more settled in it just did and I couldn't imagine being at uni without her
Original post by BlackSails
Sorry to hear it, Lauryn. I've been in the situation before, and am kinda in it again now! But it's only been two weeks - that window of opportunity isn't really that narrow. Someone else proposed joining societies, and I agree, that can be a good way of meeting people. I definitely suggest you give it a chance, it's helped me at previous unis, and hope it will help here in Sussex as well. It may take some time to find them, but there are almost certainly people out there who you'll like and get along with. Also, while you may feel like the loneliest person in uni, I promise you, there's loads of people in the same situation. Please don't feel like you're a weirdo or a failure or that you're not meant for the uni experience. This is completely normal, and for most people, it eventually gets better.

Aww thanks this really made me feel so much better and yes I agree I’ve already been looking for societies to join- never late than ever right :} :tongue:
Original post by 3121
I know someone really nice on here who also goes there, want me to link you up? She’s a great person :smile: She’s won’t be awkward at all.

And Trust me all your good friends are made during term time not the first few weeks. During the first few weeeks everyone is forcing themselves to make friends so they don’t feel lonely and eventually you find people/groups you actually really like and get involved with them. Also join societies, don’t let it get to you. I did at first but then I just thought it’s me missing out if I don’t push myself, people aren’t hostile at all especially during the first term

That would be nice :smile:
Original post by chelseadagg3r
In the beginning it feels like everyone has found their person, but really everyone just panics and latches onto someone. Just keep trying and you'll find your people. Try out societies and the like where you already have something in common. I didn't find my close friend straight away either, we actually chatted a few times in class but nothing really clicked and then later in the year when we were more settled in it just did and I couldn't imagine being at uni without her

I think you perfectly explained the whole dellimma I was feeling , sometimes I feel like I need time to really feel someone’s energy before I can really b close to them and let loose
Joining a club or society is a great start. It’d a chance for you to meet people. Go to as many events as possible. Engage and intersect with people. It’s only been 2 weeks so chances are you will eventually make some friends. It’s about sticking to it and engaging and getting involved.
omg I feel exactly the same (I just started at Sussex) wanna be friends??
I think you perfectly explained the whole dellimma I was feeling , sometimes I feel like I need time to really feel someone’s energy before I can really b close to them and let loose

I'm the same. I found societies really helpful because we'd all hang out in a group and there was no pressure, and eventually I just found people I got on with really well there. I didn't join my favourite society until the last term of my first year (last year), so it's never too late!
Original post by Stresspot262
omg I feel exactly the same (I just started at Sussex) wanna be friends??

Hey I just sent you a private message :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending