Nagakami
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
I'm undecisive of what my third A Level option should be, my college doesn't allow to take 4. I'm also doing A Level Biology (AQA) and Chemistry (OCR) and I want to pursue a career in the medical field, exact position is undecided for now.

What are both A Levels like? How do they vary from exam board to exam board? How are they different and/or similar? What do you think when comparing it to my choices?

Or do you suggest I take a completely different third A Level option?

(Note: I did take Psychology at GCSE, long course and achieved a grade B. I just what to know whether A Levels is different, and if it would be better to keep doing it or do something else instead.)
Jasmine528
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Hi,
I've been doing A-level psychology but I didn't do it at GCSE. Since you want to pursue a career in the medical field, I think it would be more valuable as it is a science subject. I'm doing AQA psychology and have found understanding the content fine but the challenging part is the amount you have to remember. There is also some overlap with biology and biopsychology e.g neurones, synapses, reflexes.
Nagakami
Rep:
?
(Original post by Jasmine528)
Hi,
I've been doing A-level psychology but I didn't do it at GCSE. Since you want to pursue a career in the medical field, I think it would be more valuable as it is a science subject. I'm doing AQA psychology and have found understanding the content fine but the challenging part is the amount you have to remember. There is also some overlap with biology and biopsychology e.g neurones, synapses, reflexes.
I've heard that psychology has more of a biological explanation for behaviour. Whilst sociology focuses on a social and environmental explanation.
Jasmine528
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Nagakami)
I've heard that psychology has more of a biological explanation for behaviour. Whilst sociology focuses on a social and environmental explanation.
Psycholocy does biological and environmental causes of behaviour in the approaches section. I think the main difference is that sociology is studying groups of people whereas psychology is the study of individuals' behaviour.
theuncannyshi
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
If you do biology you’ll understand the biopsychology part a lot easier I think bc some topics are similar. I do both sociology(gcse too) and psychology. To me psychology is more interesting tbh I understand it but it’s the content that’s a lot tbh it’s the same for sociology. Everyone thinks sociology is easier, in a way it is bc it’s easy to understand but it’s quite content heavy too.
Nagakami
Rep:
?
(Original post by theuncannyshi)
If you do biology you’ll understand the biopsychology part a lot easier I think bc some topics are similar. I do both sociology(gcse too) and psychology. To me psychology is more interesting tbh I understand it but it’s the content that’s a lot tbh it’s the same for sociology. Everyone thinks sociology is easier, in a way it is bc it’s easy to understand but it’s quite content heavy too.
I understand what you mean, it was the same at GCSE. It felt more like a memory test than anything else
theuncannyshi
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Nagakami)
I understand what you mean, it was the same at GCSE. It felt more like a memory test than anything else
Yeah unfortunately essay based subjects are like memory tests :|
Nagakami
Rep:
?
(Original post by theuncannyshi)
Yeah unfortunately essay based subjects are like memory tests :|
Though I supposed in a way that makes it easier. If you revise enough then you shouldn't really fail.
Nerd465
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I studies both Psychology and Sociology at A level, psychology does fall more on the scientific side. Both are very interesting and look at behaviours. Psychology looks at internal processes, brain structure, theories explaining behaviour, mental health which is particularly good for medicine and lots of other behaviours. on the other hand sociology studies society and behaviour for example you will study crime and why some groups commit more crime that others, you will study education and why some do good and some don't do as well, you will cover the different family tyoes, different beliefs in society and a lot more to do with how society is structured. both are very enjoyable and essay heavy. sociology however is more essay heavy than Psychology. hope this has helped you and goodluck!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you travelling in the Uni student travel window (3-9 Dec) to go home for Christmas?

Yes (43)
32.09%
No - I have already returned home (16)
11.94%
No - I plan on travelling outside these dates (27)
20.15%
No - I'm staying at my term time address over Christmas (11)
8.21%
No - I live at home during term anyway (37)
27.61%

Watched Threads