Question about mathematics modules for Marine Biology students Watch

ThatGuy26
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Hi guys, I'm a first-year marine biology student and for my optional module choices, I had to select one from:

• SOES1010
  • MATH1004
  • MATH1008

depending on my A Level mathematics grade.

SOES1010 is very basic mathematical skills for students who did not do maths at A Levels, or only did AS maths and got a C or below.

MATH1004 is for students with AS maths grades A-B, or A2 maths C and below.

MATH1008 is for students with A2 maths grades A*-B.

Now, I did manage to get a B overall for maths, but just barely. I was only 2 UMS away from a C. On top of that, most of my UMS came from my AS modules. I struggled a lot with A2 content and did terribly in the exams (I got an E in C4).

So, even though I technically met the requirement to take MATH1008, I felt that I was actually at a level much more suited for MATH1004. I emailed the student office of my faculty to ask if I could select MATH1004 as my optional module instead of MATH1008, and they strongly advised me to choose MATH1008, but said that I could request to change modules if it ended up being too difficult for me - so I listened to them and chose MATH1008.

Fast forward to this week. Lectures have started. We received a 'book' of printout notes for the entire syllabus of this module and I've looked through it. Attended a couple of lectures as well. Seems like my initial concerns have been confirmed - this is too difficult for me. I'm strongly considering requesting to switch over to MATH1004, but before I make my decision I would like to know if there will be any drawbacks in doing so?

As far as I can tell, there aren't any. Both modules are worth the same number of credits. The only thing I can think of is that there may be modules in the second/third year that depend on this module as a foundation, perhaps? I don't know. What's the catch?
TajwarC
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by ThatGuy26)
Hi guys, I'm a first-year marine biology student and for my optional module choices, I had to select one from:

[ul]
[li]SOES1010[/li]
[li]MATH1004[/li]
[li]MATH1008[/li]
[/ul]

depending on my A Level mathematics grade.

SOES1010 is very basic mathematical skills for students who did not do maths at A Levels, or only did AS maths and got a C or below.

MATH1004 is for students with AS maths grades A-B, or A2 maths C and below.

MATH1008 is for students with A2 maths grades A*-B.

Now, I did manage to get a B overall for maths, but just barely. I was only 2 UMS away from a C. On top of that, most of my UMS came from my AS modules. I struggled a lot with A2 content and did terribly in the exams (I got an E in C4).

So, even though I technically met the requirement to take MATH1008, I felt that I was actually at a level much more suited for MATH1004. I emailed the student office of my faculty to ask if I could select MATH1004 as my optional module instead of MATH1008, and they strongly advised me to choose MATH1008, but said that I could request to change modules if it ended up being too difficult for me - so I listened to them and chose MATH1008.

Fast forward to this week. Lectures have started. We received a 'book' of printout notes for the entire syllabus of this module and I've looked through it. Attended a couple of lectures as well. Seems like my initial concerns have been confirmed - this is too difficult for me. I'm strongly considering requesting to switch over to MATH1004, but before I make my decision I would like to know if there will be any drawbacks in doing so?

As far as I can tell, there aren't any. Both modules are worth the same number of credits. The only thing I can think of is that there may be modules in the second/third year that depend on this module as a foundation, perhaps? I don't know. What's the catch?
You should look into your second and third year modules and check if there are any math based ones. MATH1008 is a prerequisite for MATH1007, MATH1049, MATH2015 and MATH3072 so check and see if you have to take any of these - my guess is that any maths modules would most likely be optional anyway so I don't see any drawbacks of switching to MATH1004, or to be honest any benefit to doing MATH1008 if maths isn't something you enjoy.

Long story short - check if there are any compulsory maths options later on, and if so find out the prerequisites, and whether MATH1008 is one of these (I highly doubt it). If not, switch to MATH1004
ThatGuy26
Rep:
?
(Original post by TajwarC)
You should look into your second and third year modules and check if there are any math based ones. MATH1008 is a prerequisite for MATH1007, MATH1049, MATH2015 and MATH3072 so check and see if you have to take any of these - my guess is that any maths modules would most likely be optional anyway so I don't see any drawbacks of switching to MATH1004, or to be honest any benefit to doing MATH1008 if maths isn't something you enjoy.

Long story short - check if there are any compulsory maths options later on, and if so find out the prerequisites, and whether MATH1008 is one of these (I highly doubt it). If not, switch to MATH1004
Thanks for the response! I will check, but like you said, I highly doubt that there will be any compulsory maths modules which require MATH1008 in year 2 or 3 of my program - otherwise, it wouldn't make sense for MATH1008 to be optional now instead of compulsory, would it?
TajwarC
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Thanks for the response! I will check, but like you said, I highly doubt that there will be any compulsory maths modules which require MATH1008 in year 2 or 3 of my program - otherwise, it wouldn't make sense for MATH1008 to be optional now instead of compulsory, would it?
Yeah exactly, especially given the fact you were offered a non maths based module also, which implies this will be the case in the future. MATH1008 from what I know is just a generic maths module for people who did alright at A2 maths but it's not really designed for maths or physics students, it's offered to chemistry students and people like yourself.

On a side note, you'd be surprised on what options you can theoretically take. If you have a particular subject area in mind its never a bad idea to talk to your course coordinator and see if you can take an optional module that isn't listed for you - provided you have the prerequisites and its somewhat relevant to your degree
ThatGuy26
Rep:
?
(Original post by TajwarC)
Yeah exactly, especially given the fact you were offered a non maths based module also, which implies this will be the case in the future. MATH1008 from what I know is just a generic maths module for people who did alright at A2 maths but it's not really designed for maths or physics students, it's offered to chemistry students and people like yourself.

On a side note, you'd be surprised on what options you can theoretically take. If you have a particular subject area in mind its never a bad idea to talk to your course coordinator and see if you can take an optional module that isn't listed for you - provided you have the prerequisites and its somewhat relevant to your degree
Quick update: I've gotten it changed. Thanks for the help!
TajwarC
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Quick update: I've gotten it changed. Thanks for the help!
No worries
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Has your university offer been reduced?

Yes (45)
32.85%
No (70)
51.09%
Don't know (22)
16.06%

Watched Threads