The Student Room Group

Gay flatmate makes me feel VERY uncomfortable! What to do?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Do you like him in a special way?

Seriously just because he's gay doesn't mean he'll fancy every guy he meets, and normally gay guys make the best friends to go out on the town with (from a girls point of view anyhow).
Original post by SpringPug
It's impossible to control our feelings

not true, when the way of thinking is changed or rather broadened then you see a change in the way someone feels. they need to know they are thinking in a small-minded way and need to find ways to empathise. once upon a time people would have said they didn't want to sit next to a black person on a bus or live next to them as they felt threatened/disgusted etc. I guess it was just impossible for them to control their feelings?
Original post by Anonymous
I can't stop thinking about his sexuality

via Imgflip Meme Generator
Original post by Peonyy
Do you like him in a special way?

Seriously just because he's gay doesn't mean he'll fancy every guy he meets, and normally gay guys make the best friends to go out on the town with (from a girls point of view anyhow).

I do like going out on the town with him, he's a great dancer and real funny when drunk. Plus he won't be looking for random girls to shag :wink:

This is quite funny but no, I don't like him like that. I'm straight!

@ the others
I know this seems homophobic and I feel so bad about my behaviour! Which is why I'm trying to change it! I do think we should be able to change our feelings via our thoughts so that's what I'm trying to do.
First things first: I don't think there's anything wrong with being gay!

I started university last month and live with five other guys. One of them told us he's gay on the first day of freshers.

I was fine with it at first. He's a nice person and not stereotypically gay (if he hadn't said it I probably wouldn't of known). Me and him spend time together, cooking, watching netflix, going out, etc (just flatmate activities really). But I've been increasingly uncomfortable with his sexuality!! Which I KNOW is bad, it makes me a CRAP friend/flatmate. Because there's no signs he likes me or anything so there's no reason for me to feel uncomfortable!

Yet when we are together I can't stop thinking about his sexuality. We were having a movie night last friday and I kept thinking about how he might come two feet closer and kiss me, which is weird because he wouldn't. He knows i'm straight! He also told me about a guy he shagged during freshers (not in a detailed way, he just needed some advice) but I couldn't help him because the thought of him and another dude in bed made me feel so grossed out!

Now I've noticed I've started avoiding him cos I feel so uncomfortable when he is around... And I normally don't feel this way around gay people, but then again I've never been this close to one before so maybe that makes a difference. So please help me!! How can I be more comfortable around him?

Does it really matter if the guy attempted to kiss you anyway? You just simply reject it, launch the dude across the room and set some clear boundaries.

Its not like you are gonna melt if this guy did attempt to come onto you.
Original post by WaffleApple
Does it really matter if the guy attempted to kiss you anyway? You just simply reject it, launch the dude across the room and set some clear boundaries.

Its not like you are gonna melt if this guy did attempt to come onto you.

If he were a girl I wouldn't mind kissing him. But since he's a guy (and my flatmate) I'll have to reject him. That's not a problem in itself but it will make things SO awkward between us!
Reply 26

I started university last month and live with five other guys. One of them told us he's gay on the first day of freshers.

I was fine with it at first. He's a nice person and not stereotypically gay (if he hadn't said it I probably wouldn't of known). Me and him spend time together, cooking, watching netflix, going out, etc (just flatmate activities really). But I've been increasingly uncomfortable with his sexuality!! Which I KNOW is bad, it makes me a CRAP friend/flatmate. Because there's no signs he likes me or anything so there's no reason for me to feel uncomfortable!

Yet when we are together I can't stop thinking about his sexuality. We were having a movie night last friday and I kept thinking about how he might come two feet closer and kiss me, which is weird because he wouldn't. He knows i'm straight! He also told me about a guy he shagged during freshers (not in a detailed way, he just needed some advice) but I couldn't help him because the thought of him and another dude in bed made me feel so grossed out!

Now I've noticed I've started avoiding him cos I feel so uncomfortable when he is around... And I normally don't feel this way around gay people, but then again I've never been this close to one before so maybe that makes a difference. So please help me!! How can I be more comfortable around him?

Bro, not every gay guy wants to **** you lool, I have a lot of gay friends and I honestly never feel uncomfortable around them at all, unless they do start making advances , then I would just punch them in the throat .
If he were a girl I wouldn't mind kissing him. But since he's a guy (and my flatmate) I'll have to reject him. That's not a problem in itself but it will make things SO awkward between us!

"If he were a girl I wouldn't mind kissing him" lol

But seriously, since he knows you're straight it's unlikely he'll do anything, unless you're giving off signals you might like him (which I presume you aren't; but maybe you should). Also, it'll only make things awkward between yous if you want it to be awkward - if you handle the rejection in a mature way it'll be fine.
Ok so I was trying to follow your advice to just get over it. So I asked him (on snapchat) to hang out sometime. He replied suggesting we could go for pizza then cinema tomorrow. Which sounds good to me but it also sounds alot like a date! He knows I'm straight so it's probably not but the idea of going makes me feel nervous. Should I say no?
I think if a guy was talking a bit about how he had sex with a woman to other women in the flat they might feel a bit uncomfortable, I don't blame you.

Just leave him be and hope he leaves you be, or just tell him you dont want to hear about his sex life
That’s cos u gay too
Sad how abusive and insulting some of the replies are on this thread when OP is aware of what he is doing wrong and is simply looking for help. Yet another example of PC extremism I guess.

You have every right to feel uncomfortable if you think he's crossing boundaries the same way a straight woman might feel uncomfortable around a male housemate. This is why people don't like to have unisex flats, because of the troubling thought or sexually crossing borders. But suddenly it's "wrong" when gays are involved. If you think someone gay or straight is coming onto you then you should discuss it or look for a new place.
Not wanting to hear about other people’s sex lives does not make you a bad person.
(edited 5 years ago)
It only sounds like a date because that's what you think it is.
I said yes. We're going out later today. I feel so nervous but don't know why. If he tries anything (which he probably won't) I can just reject it, it's not like I haven't done that before with girls. Thanks everyone for the advice!
Original post by snugglebear
not true, when the way of thinking is changed or rather broadened then you see a change in the way someone feels. they need to know they are thinking in a small-minded way and need to find ways to empathise. once upon a time people would have said they didn't want to sit next to a black person on a bus or live next to them as they felt threatened/disgusted etc. I guess it was just impossible for them to control their feelings?

Whether a person's feelings can change throughout their life (which of course they can) or not, that does not disprove that a person's initial feelings towards a subject are uncontrollable. Once upon a time, people were raised to believe that a black life mattered less than that of someone who was white. While it was completely wrong that people had this view, it would have been very difficult for people to just drop their views after having been taught to feel that way for many years of their life by their parents/guardians. As such, their initial feelings towards the matter would have been almost inevitable, however, this is not to say their views cannot change in the future.

The instance is the same here. His first thoughts do not mean that they cannot change - which he is obviously trying to do by asking for help. It's not his fault for feeling a little uncomfortable under a new situation and we should respect that he is seeking advice, which is a lot more than most people do.
Just be open and honest and tell him you have feelings for him. Soon enough you'll be a couple.
you think about kissing him and obsess over his sexuality? idk mate sounds pretty gay to me
hm

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending