RedheadAlex
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
I'm due to apply to student a Bachelor of Veterinary Medicine and Surgery within the next week or so. I was going to apply to the University of Liverpool,at my parents and families recommendations,but I don't meet the requirements. I've decided to remove Liverpool out of my choices (my other 3 places to apply to are Edinburgh, Bristol and the Royal Veterinary College) but that only leaves me with a choice of Surrey or Nottingham. I'm in the process of researching both, but I wanted to know what other people's opinion on the universities (of Surrey and Nottingham) were.
stimtothesky
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
All the schools are really good, and reputation wise are very similar. It comes down to your preferences in terms of accommodation, course structure, and university type. Surrey and Nottingham are both campus. I don’t know about Surrey but Nottingham vet school is on a small campus (Sutton Bonington).

Nottingham is best known for the practical nature its course, Surrey for its facilities. Just research, go to open days if you can get into any, and don’t worry about reputation because all of them produce good vets. Thoroughly check course requirements before you apply and make sure you do the RVC work experience questionnaire before the 15th!!
animalmagic
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by RedheadAlex)
I'm due to apply to student a Bachelor of Veterinary Medicine and Surgery within the next week or so. I was going to apply to the University of Liverpool,at my parents and families recommendations,but I don't meet the requirements. I've decided to remove Liverpool out of my choices (my other 3 places to apply to are Edinburgh, Bristol and the Royal Veterinary College) but that only leaves me with a choice of Surrey or Nottingham. I'm in the process of researching both, but I wanted to know what other people's opinion on the universities (of Surrey and Nottingham) were.
When choosing between Surrey and Notingham be aware that Nottingham grads have an excellent reputation within the profession and personally I love the structure of the Nottingham course. Surrey will produce its first set of graduates in 2019 and therefore Surrey is currently not yet accredited by the RCVS and their grads don't have any sort of reputation as there are none out there working at the moment.
VETwannabe
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by RedheadAlex)
I know a lil bit about Surrey. So, the vet school is based in Guildford and is not isolated like the Notts campus, which is good if you feel like you'll be overwhelmed by being constantly surrounded by vets. The course itself is practical based like Notts which is good too. The uni doesn't have it's own teaching hospital though, so clinical rotations take place at partner practices which are a max of 1 hour away. But this shouldn't make a difference really. I don't know about Notts, but Surrey recommend that you don't bring a car because frankly there's nowhere for you to put it, especially in your first year. Once you're out into private accommodation, having a car is fine, but again you might have to walk because there's nowhere near the vet school that you can park. (just a cool lil side point: I know that the university also have a free language program if you fancy learning another language).
Since Surrey is very new, the vet school are always open to feedback and if there are things that don't work well, they often make changes to the course a pretty quickly if needed. So that's a cool bonus. They have a really good peer support scheme that they've implemented as well which has had really good feedback (I think Notts might have this too - it's a brilliant concept tbh).
The best way to see how you feel about them is to go and see them yourself, but since you don't have time, have a look at any virtual campus tours or pictures of the facilities to see what you think of them.
username2703735
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
As already highlighted, Not to say Surrey has a lower standard of teaching that is not true - but their practical facilities are undeniably lacking. Also existing reputation of Nottingham may help with high demand placements and job opportunities.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (293)
55.7%
I don't have everything I need (233)
44.3%

Watched Threads