durararara
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Hi so I think I've been suffering from depression. I've booked a GP appointment for this. However im 16 and an a-level student wanting to apply to medicine. (I'm serious). If i am diagnosed will it hinder my ability to get into a medical school? I'm really scared about this as the career is already very competative help please urgent;y
Nxfisax
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Doubt it
astroworld
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Nope-it won't hinder ur chances of applying to Medicine don't worry
junior.doctor
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
This thread is a useful one to read

The short version, is no it almost certainly* won't be a problem. Medical schools much prefer applicants and students who have recognised their difficulties, sought appropriate help, and got better, than people who are too scared to get help."Got better" also doesn't have to mean "cured and off medicine / not having talking therapy" - but stable, which for many people will still include regular medicine or therapy.

The ONLY reason I say "almost certainly" rather than "definitely fine" is that obviously for a small number of people - usually with severe and enduring mental illness, occupational health may decide that medicine is not the right thing - either for a short time or in the long term. But these people are few, and it doesn't remotely sound like you'd be one of them if you've not got as far as going to the GP yet.

Admissions tutors will NOT be aware of any disabilities / mental health / physical health problems. It will not be able to affect the way they view for application. The way it works, is that if you are offered a conditional place, you THEN (all applicants) undergo an occupational health questionnaire. Includes all past and current health problems, with the idea not to be punitive but to make sure that they can help and support with anything needed. It's only in very extreme cases that occy health may refuse people or suggests postponing until a health condition is more improved.

Please don't worry. Please go to the GP and get the help you need. There are many, many students and doctors who have sought help for mental health problems, and it will make you a better doctor for having sought that help and looked after yourself.

Best of luck.
SanityGone
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Most mental health issues are not a problem if the appropriate treatment has been accessed. I believe that this might be different if someone has been sectioned at some point though.
08graya
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I’m going to be applying for graduate entry med in a couple of years, but having already spoken to admissions and various university staff, no it won’t be a problem at all! I have been in and out of hospital for a number of years now because of my mental health (diagnosed with BPD and anorexia) and everyone who I have spoken to has said that as long as I am stable and able to complete the work and attend lectures/placements etc (as well as occ health) that there won’t be a problem and that being diagnosed won’t affect me or my application.
blueberry
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
There’s someone I follow on Twitter called DepressedMedStudent. They’ve suffered badly with their mental health. Pretty sure they’ve been an inpatient too and they are still far into their training
Nihal201
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
See buddy, definitely it cannot hinder your chances of going to the med school, but it can sure cause lots of difficulty and whatever I say it is with personal experience. It may cause social phobia, difficulty to memorise certain stuffs and many more. At same the time you have to know that it cannot deny you of your true potential. It sure will be difficult but as long as you keep going, you will come out strong.Always remember when things go wrong, slower your pace but do not stop, just keep going
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Bournemouth University
    Midwifery Open Day at Portsmouth Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 16 Oct '19
  • Teesside University
    All faculties open Undergraduate
    Wed, 16 Oct '19
  • University of the Arts London
    London College of Fashion – Cordwainers Footwear and Bags & Accessories Undergraduate
    Wed, 16 Oct '19

How has the start of this academic year been for you?

Loving it - gonna be a great year (111)
17.62%
It's just nice to be back! (172)
27.3%
Not great so far... (225)
35.71%
I want to drop out! (122)
19.37%

Watched Threads