The Student Room Group

Step Up to Social Work 2020

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Hdotibbz
For South East London Shortlisting will occur in April and Assessment days will take place mid June. I'm sure it's different for other Local Authorities but thought I would share. Could be subject to change but this is what has been shared internally.As a current candidate on Cohort 5 I will say its tough but well worth it. I'm surprised at how much I have learnt in 13months.Good luck.

Thanks for the information. I have applied for BANES and Somerset, anyone else applied for these areas? I have everything crossed to get through to assessment stage, although that brings another set of anxiety! 😂 Good luck to all applying, this forum still seems awfully quiet compared to previous cohorts?!
Reply 81
I literally made sure I referenced every single one 🤷🏻*♀️ Hope it’s ok!
Reply 82
What do we need to reference in our application? I’m confused 😂

Original post by MrsK82
I literally made sure I referenced every single one 🤷🏻*♀️ Hope it’s ok!
Reply 83
Ive applied to greater lancashire. I applied last time and i remember there was like 20+ posts every day !!
Original post by Laurajbeau
Thanks for the information. I have applied for BANES and Somerset, anyone else applied for these areas? I have everything crossed to get through to assessment stage, although that brings another set of anxiety! 😂 Good luck to all applying, this forum still seems awfully quiet compared to previous cohorts?!

I’ve applied for Bristol followed by BANES
Original post by J93-ivy
Ive applied to greater lancashire. I applied last time and i remember there was like 20+ posts every day !!

Maybe we’re on the wrong thread although I can’t see another (not a busy one anyway!)
I have literally no idea whether I’ve got enough experience or if my competency answers or good enough! I read the framework and there is no way to cover even partly everything as the word count is so low!

I’ve done it and have ‘parked’ it in my mind for the moment. I wonder when we’ll hear!
Original post by littleapple
I have literally no idea whether I’ve got enough experience or if my competency answers or good enough! I read the framework and there is no way to cover even partly everything as the word count is so low!

I’ve done it and have ‘parked’ it in my mind for the moment. I wonder when we’ll hear!

Same! I think I have the experience, just not sure if my application/competency questions are enough! Such limited words to get a good flow going!

Trying to forget about it as I can’t change anything now! Although I am constantly checking emails, even though it has even closed yet 😂. I think it will be April time when we hear if successful 🤔
(edited 5 years ago)
Entirely agree- but overwhelmingly I want my application to be read- so I’m hoping that my under word count answers allow them time to read it, in its entirety.
And what will be will be, very good luck to you
Original post by littleapple

Hello, thank you for this, very useful. Are you able to offer any tips for application and interview? thank you in advance
Application I won't comment on it because I can see lots of people have finished and I don't want to make people second guess (that's the worst feeling)

Depending on the local authority they may do an academy style assessment day which is what I had.

It will in include: a role play, written exercise which basically involves a risk assessment of a scenario and an action plan of how you would intervene giving justifications for your decisions; a normal interview like you would expect (make sure you have knowledge of human growth and development theories and can briefly acknowledge children's act even if you haven't used it in your current practice, and how you would work under restructure/organisational change). Lastly there was a group panel which may include young people/service users and a quick fire round of questions ans people chip in to answer. I think it is very important that they get to see your personality. Don't be overbearing and take all the lime light but don't be shy or not assertive and not answer questions. If you don't know something say you don't know yet but you are willing to learn.

Maybe do some reading in anti oppressive anti discriminative practice so it's in your mind as you formulate answer but maybe not nessecarily quoting theory...these kind of things.

The assessment day was so tough but I don't remember doing crazy amounts of preparation before hand outside of thinking up examples of good practice, skills etc to bring to the interview.

Like someone mentioned before there will be a lot of reflection after each activity so if you haven't done reflective writing before maybe just look up the basics so you and critically analyse your performance after each task thinking about how well you did, good and bad and whether you achieved the outcome you wanted.

Also may seem silly but make sure you bring all of your qualification and ID on the the day! They won't even accept you to start the assessment day if you don't have them. If you can't find the certificate then apply to the exam boards for copies once you find out you are accepted.

Good luck

Original post by LoveFromAde
Hello, thank you for this, very useful. Are you able to offer any tips for application and interview? thank you in advance
Reply 91
Thats really helpful about the assessment day. Whats everyones experience? Im a teacher in my 5th year. I applied in 2016 when i had 2 years experience and thought my application was ok but didn't get an interview. I was gutted ! Re did my application questions this time and think they are much better but im not holding out hope for an interview - you just dont know what they are looking for. At least the applications close soon so hopefully will hear by April.
Original post by J93-ivy
Thats really helpful about the assessment day. Whats everyones experience? Im a teacher in my 5th year. I applied in 2016 when i had 2 years experience and thought my application was ok but didn't get an interview. I was gutted ! Re did my application questions this time and think they are much better but im not holding out hope for an interview - you just dont know what they are looking for. At least the applications close soon so hopefully will hear by April.

Good luck! My background is Adult nursing, went on to qualify as a Health visitor about 5 years ago. I feel my experience is there but unsure if I got this across in the application! Who knows what they are looking for.........but with the emphasis on communication and multi professional working I’m sure they are wanting to recruit professionals from all areas. 🤞for everyone
Original post by Hdotibbz
Application I won't comment on it because I can see lots of people have finished and I don't want to make people second guess (that's the worst feeling)

Depending on the local authority they may do an academy style assessment day which is what I had.

It will in include: a role play, written exercise which basically involves a risk assessment of a scenario and an action plan of how you would intervene giving justifications for your decisions; a normal interview like you would expect (make sure you have knowledge of human growth and development theories and can briefly acknowledge children's act even if you haven't used it in your current practice, and how you would work under restructure/organisational change). Lastly there was a group panel which may include young people/service users and a quick fire round of questions ans people chip in to answer. I think it is very important that they get to see your personality. Don't be overbearing and take all the lime light but don't be shy or not assertive and not answer questions. If you don't know something say you don't know yet but you are willing to learn.

Maybe do some reading in anti oppressive anti discriminative practice so it's in your mind as you formulate answer but maybe not nessecarily quoting theory...these kind of things.

The assessment day was so tough but I don't remember doing crazy amounts of preparation before hand outside of thinking up examples of good practice, skills etc to bring to the interview.

Like someone mentioned before there will be a lot of reflection after each activity so if you haven't done reflective writing before maybe just look up the basics so you and critically analyse your performance after each task thinking about how well you did, good and bad and whether you achieved the outcome you wanted.

Also may seem silly but make sure you bring all of your qualification and ID on the the day! They won't even accept you to start the assessment day if you don't have them. If you can't find the certificate then apply to the exam boards for copies once you find out you are accepted.

Good luck

Thank you for the information, really helpful for the assessment day. 😊
Thank-you for the feedback on the assessment day, it’s a great insight of what’s to come (potentially). I’ve applied for East Midlands area if there’s anyone else here for that, would be great to chat! Good luck everyone x
Hi to you all. I have completed most of my application but am mulling over the 5 competency questions as I’m unsure whether personal experience as well as work experience should be used. I have printed off the capabilities framework and have read through the entry level descriptors but am unsure how you are meant to address all points with such a low word count? I’m a qualified teacher with good work experience (ten years - FE, secondary and HE) and also a mother who has been off with my daughter for a few years (she is due to start Nursery in April - aged 3) I’m just wondering whether anyone knows whether being away from work for three years will hinder my application? I’ve done voluntary work in between at PRUs etc but having read this thread I feel I may be wasting my time?? Has anyone any experience or can people advise whether being a stay at home mum I am wasting my time? Thanks in advance.
(edited 5 years ago)
Hi Bettybumble,

I’d say with your experience, no you’ve not wasted your time. I’m sure over the years that you have dealt with many safeguarding issues. As you say, you’ve volunteered to make sure your knowledge is up to date - I’d say that you have ensured that you are current.

I’m in the same situation as you pretty much - FE lecturer and young kids, but I’m sure it’s doable if you have the support. Don’t sell yourself short x
Original post by Bettybumble
Hi to you all. I have completed most of my application but am mulling over the 5 competency questions as I’m unsure whether personal experience as well as work experience should be used. I have printed off the capabilities framework and have read through the entry level descriptors but am unsure how you are meant to address all points with such a low word count? I’m a qualified teacher with good work experience (ten years - FE, secondary and HE) and also a mother who has been off with my daughter for a few years (she is due to start Nursery in April - aged 3) I’m just wondering whether anyone knows whether being away from work for three years will hinder my application? I’ve done voluntary work in between at PRUs etc but having read this thread I feel I may be wasting my time?? Has anyone any experience or can people advise whether being a stay at home mum I am wasting my time? Thanks in advance.
Original post by Bettybumble

What’s the harm in applying, sounds like you have some great experience! You won’t know if you don’t apply. 😊
Original post by J93-ivy

I applied here to, what experience do you have? Really hoping to get an interview but reading these forums make me very nervous.
Reply 99
Im in my 5th year teaching secondary school. How about you?
Original post by question4321
I applied here to, what experience do you have? Really hoping to get an interview but reading these forums make me very nervous.

Quick Reply

Latest