The Student Room Group

Step Up to Social Work 2020

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Laurajbeau
Hi

I have been accepted south west 2, Somerset LA 😊

Do you know any more about the course schedule? When uni is/placement etc? I’ve tried to find info but haven’t found anything! They said we will find out more in October on the KIT
Original post by LMC268
Do you know any more about the course schedule? When uni is/placement etc? I’ve tried to find info but haven’t found anything! They said we will find out more in October on the KIT

Sorry, no I don’t have any information, only the dates/times of KIT days at Exeter 😊😬
I have been accepted for Plymouth 2020 and I knew a previous graduate of Step up to Social Work.
Original post by SG1986
I have been accepted for Plymouth 2020 and I knew a previous graduate of Step up to Social Work.

Congrats! Do you know any more about the course schedule? When uni is/placement etc? I’ve tried to find info but haven’t found anything!
Original post by 37spb
Hello all. Congratulations to everyone who embarked on the journey of applying.

I wanted to spread some hopefulness out there to those who weren’t successful. Please don’t give up, I know many think the uni route isn’t suitable for them but look into it in detail.

The pg dip is about 14 months
The MA is two years.
Depending on the uni you can exit at PGdip and qualify. Saving you time and money.

They do offer bursaries (I myself have been awarded one and will start September next month)
The maximum tution covered is £4052 so depending on your uni, you’ll pay the remaining. Outside London universities are cheaper. You’ll then get a grant for living cost.

The number of bursaries are capped but if you do well on your interview ect you have a very good chance.

Most are worried about the finance side of things as i was. However if you do the math it’s not far off from fast track routes if awarded the bursary and you work 2/3 days a week part time.

Up until placement your timetable is about 3 days a week.

At uni you have quite long breaks, this gives you the opportunity to work as much as you like free from tax implications unlike the fast track routes. This may work out better for you especially in the summer with the long gap.

Also you won’t pay council tax now your a student.

There are an abundance of agency jobs you can sign up to that offer ad hoc work and pay very well. (Message me for details)

I’m not sure if many know too much about this yet but social work apprenticeships are due to be rolled out more from September. Hillingdon council (in London) not long finished recruiting for this. The programme is 3 years but it’s a degree in social work. You get a salary of around 18k. Schemes like this are due to be rolled out more nationally soon. This might be suitable for someone who absolutely can’t do the uni route.

I would also advise everyone to save save save. Save as much as you can. I was due to embark on this journey last year but couldn’t afford to. This year I’m much more prepared.

If you would like info on work ect and have or are thinking of doing the uni route please message me. I wish everyone the best of luck xxx

Hi,
I've recently come across Step Up. I have been reading through as much of this thread as I can and everyone seems to have alot of work or volunteer experience than I do. I have time to get that, but I have also been looking at the masters. I'm currently making enquiries with the Open Uni about transferring my credits as my degree is just a bachelor, so I need to top up to a Bachelor's with honours. With regards to the masters, I didn't realise there was a bursery available, that's hopeful. What experience do you have if you don't mind me asking. I'm trying to decide what I should try to get into whilst topping up my degree. Thanks
I’ve not heard anything since the offer letter. I’m guessing we will get these details at the Keeping in Touch day on the 9th of October. I’m going to meet up with a Step up Graduate. I’ll let you know what they say!

Original post by LMC268
Congrats! Do you know any more about the course schedule? When uni is/placement etc? I’ve tried to find info but haven’t found anything!
Reply 1606
Original post by AJ4515
Hi,
I've recently come across Step Up. I have been reading through as much of this thread as I can and everyone seems to have alot of work or volunteer experience than I do. I have time to get that, but I have also been looking at the masters. I'm currently making enquiries with the Open Uni about transferring my credits as my degree is just a bachelor, so I need to top up to a Bachelor's with honours. With regards to the masters, I didn't realise there was a bursery available, that's hopeful. What experience do you have if you don't mind me asking. I'm trying to decide what I should try to get into whilst topping up my degree. Thanks

That sounds really positive and exciting!
The bursary is still available but places are capped so not everyone that enrols gets one. Universities make nominations based on prior academic performance and how well you interview on the day.

My previous experience includes Support worker, substance misuse practitioner, offender case manger and liaison and diversion practitioner.

Everyone’s experience is different so don’t worry. There’s people with loads of experience who haven’t got a place and people with little who have. It’s about how well you prepare and how you hit those competencies. London and north west are heavily oversubscribed so it’s tougher. I was 1 point away from being offered a place on the step up course lol !

Best of luck x
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 1607
Original post by AdeH
Hi! YAY!! Congratulations :smile: see you then

Hi AdeH and RA2000 just wondering whether you know anything about the lewisham LA as I’ve had a call asking if I’m interested - I applied for south west but might be able to move but looking for more info before making a decision!
Original post by AJ4515
Hi,

Hi, my previous experience is actor, BA honours degree at drama school, 2 years teaching assistant and 2 years as a behaviour mentor working with children with social, emotional and behavioural needs in a primary school setting. No as much as others, and my experience is varied as you can see! So if you are the right person for it and can give examples of ‘a time when I showed leadership was...etc’ then you’ve got as good a chance as any. I got it so 🤷🏻*♀️ X
Original post by 37s*
That sounds really positive and exciting!
The bursary is still available but places are capped so not everyone that enrols gets one. Universities make nominations based on prior academic performance and how well you interview on the day.

My previous experience includes Support worker, substance misuse practitioner, offender case manger and liaison and diversion practitioner.

Everyone’s experience is different so don’t worry. There’s people with loads of experience who haven’t got a place and people with little who have. It’s about how well you prepare and how you hit those competencies. London and north west are heavily oversubscribed so it’s tougher. I was 1 point away from being offered a place on the step up course lol !

Best of luck x

Thank you, sorry I've only just seen your reply. I'll keep going with the study and trying to get as much exposure as possible and keep my options open. It sounds tough, I'm based in North Yorkshire. Have you any recommendations on good places to try and volunteer? Thank you and best of luck with your masters.
Reply 1610
Original post by AJ4515
Hi,

Hi, a great thing to do would be to contact an organisation called NYAS about being an independent volunteer i still do it and it at was useful experience for my step up application. :smile: Hopefully you find this useful. I have a BSc in Biomedical science and i'm currently working for Lewisham council as a debt recovery team leader. so you can imagine how limited my experience is and i still got a place in the south eat London partnership
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 1611
Original post by kmm13
Hi AdeH and RA2000 just wondering whether you know anything about the lewisham LA as I’ve had a call asking if I’m interested - I applied for south west but might be able to move but looking for more info before making a decision!

Hey, i have an offer with Greenwich but i actually work for Lewisham council atm in a different capacity. What information are you looking for?
Original post by AdeH
Hi, a great thing to do would be to contact an organisation called NYAS about being an independent volunteer i still do it and it at was useful experience for my step up application. :smile: Hopefully you find this useful. I have a BSc in Biomedical science and i'm currently working for Lewisham council as a debt recovery team leader. so you can imagine how limited my experience is and i still got a place in the south eat London partnership

Hi, that's very helpful, thank you. I'll look into it. Good luck with your new adventure with Step Up!
Does anyone know on average how much a newly qualified social worker earns... I have tried to research online but it seems to differ massively county to county.... Also some say that during the first year after you qualify you earn less.
Reply 1614
Original post by mdhayter
Does anyone know on average how much a newly qualified social worker earns... I have tried to research online but it seems to differ massively county to county.... Also some say that during the first year after you qualify you earn less.

It really does depend on the borough you apply to. Likely more in London and even more in boroughs who are failing terribly or struggling to retain SW. In London’s it’s usually £29-34~.

I’ve been told starting salary is high in Croydon because they’ve been in special measures for years and their SW retention is poor
Original post by mdhayter

I’ve been looking into this too. I think in my area it’s starting at about 24-26k?
It is designed for children’s but your first place which is 70 days is in adult social work.
Original post by Lgm84
Hello,

I’m on Step up now, the 2018 Cohort and am just a few weeks off finishing the course!
The course does guide you in the direction of children’s social work - the academic content is mainly around the Children Act (touching on adults and mental health very briefly) and both placements are in children’s (there wasn’t a choice with this) however the qualification is a PGDip in Social Work so it can be used in any of the fields. It’s just difficult to apply for adults and mental really! But you never know your luck! I think people on my course who want to do something different are planning to stick it out in children’s for a while and then move once they’ve “done they’re time”.
It’s been a great course though, it’s absolutely flown by. Feels like yesterday I was at the assessment centre and that was around 18 months ago!
People should definitely go for it!

Hi I am about to start the step up program in January and really worrying about wether I am doing the right thing leaving my job as a youth worker in a school to start the course. Can I ask how have things worked out for you since you finished the course, did you find a job you like in social work?
I think this may have already been asked but I can’t find the answer!In terms of finances, are you “allowed” to earn extra money on top of the bursary? I don’t mean have a regular part time job but for eg. If you did a few hours or a day working in the summer, is this allowed? I guess you wouldn’t pay tax as you’d be under the allowance? Wondered if anyone who has previously done step up or has asked?
So we started at the beginning of January and still have not had the first installment of our bursary... Can students from other authorities advise if you have had a payment yet and when... Thanks.

Quick Reply

Latest