Report writing help/advice please!!

Watch
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Hi,

Ive just started university and have been asked to write a report on ways in which people can be encouraged to go for hearing tests. And I need to Include statistics and reasons why people should attend.

Can someone give me some advice/ideas on ways in which people can be encouraged to go for hearing tests please?

Also if I talked mainly about hearing loss throughout my report as the reason why hearing tests should he attended that is right isn't it?

Also, can I still add "we" and "I" in a report or does it all have to be in third person?

Any advice would be appreciated.
It's just my first essay I'm having to do at university and it's a bit daunting!

Thank you!!
Parker Tracy
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
Hi,

Ive just started university and have been asked to write a report on ways in which people can be encouraged to go for hearing tests. And I need to Include statistics and reasons why people should attend.

Can someone give me some advice/ideas on ways in which people can be encouraged to go for hearing tests please?

Also if I talked mainly about hearing loss throughout my report as the reason why hearing tests should he attended that is right isn't it?

Also, can I still add "we" and "I" in a report or does it all have to be in third person?

Any advice would be appreciated.
It's just my first essay I'm having to do at university and it's a bit daunting!

Thank you!!
Ok - first of all, let me post the caveat that I do not know anything about this subject and come to it as a lay person. Here are some thoughts though:

(1) if the question is "ways in which a person can be encouraged to go for hearing tests" then it seems to me that this is not simply about providing rationale on why hearing tests are, of themselves, a good thing. Ways in which you might encourage a person to go for a hearing test may be - a national advertising campaign raising awareness of the importance of hearing tests; training GPs so they carry out more tests as part of their day-to-day business; adding this to the national curriculum in schools, sending older patients/those more vulnerable to hearing loss regular reminders through the post etc.

(2) "I" and "we" are personal pronouns which, I would recommend, you do not focus on in your essay. It is fine to state, in the introduction or conclusion to your report: "I intend to examine this issue by showing X and Y, and will conclude my thesis by critiquing z" but you should approach the essay in the third person throughout. i.e: "It is clear from Brown's examination of hearing loss that..." "It can be discerned from this evidence that" "A further persuasive argument is Smith's thesis..." etc

(3) Make sure that each point you make is backed up with evidence. If you are stating ways in which people can be encouraged to go for hearing tests, then set out the facts to show these ways work. "Statistics show that national advertising campaigns have a meaningful impact on the number of elderly patients seeking hearing tests. The graph below shows that 30% more OAPs sought help with their hearing from their GP after the Saatchi campaign in 1980" (or whatever)

I hope this helps. Remember - answer the question they ask, and provide the evidence. And make sure that the evidence is footnoted properly! Good luck.
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
AMAZING!!!
Thank you!!!!!!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (65)
66.33%
I don't have everything I need (33)
33.67%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed