The Student Room Group

Uni at 23?

I'm planning on going to college in the 2019/2020 term to get an Access to HE in Teaching.I have been to college before when I was 16 but didn't pursue Uni after. While at college I was a volunteer teacher at local primary schools for 2 years and loved it. I'm currently 21 and decided I'd like to become a Primary teacher, Id be 22 when I attend college then 23 in my first year of Uni.I'd be leaving a decent job £19,000 and above a year and only 3 days a week for this. Am I crazy? I like my job but don't want to be here forever. I'd like to do something I want to do.Also worried that the savings I have will be blown at Uni and I'll still be living at home with my Mum when i'm 27.

I guess I'm just getting nervous about it all
Reply 1
If you are doing your access course in 2019, you've still got a long time to think about whether this is the right decision for you before you enrol on it. Going to university is a big decision to make, and a huge lifestyle change for mature students. You need to find out whether you think you'll be able to cope with studying full time again, and living on a lot less money. You've said that you like your job but don't want to be there forever, which makes me think you want some kind of change. You should look at all your options available to progressing towards a primary teacher, maybe there are other routes?

Deciding to go back to uni is definitely a huge, scary decision so its no wonder you are apprehensive! Just take the time to think about all your options and I'm sure you'll be able to figure out what will work best for you :smile:
Original post by Haddaway97
I'm planning on going to college in the 2019/2020 term to get an Access to HE in Teaching.I have been to college before when I was 16 but didn't pursue Uni after. While at college I was a volunteer teacher at local primary schools for 2 years and loved it. I'm currently 21 and decided I'd like to become a Primary teacher, Id be 22 when I attend college then 23 in my first year of Uni.I'd be leaving a decent job £19,000 and above a year and only 3 days a week for this. Am I crazy? I like my job but don't want to be here forever. I'd like to do something I want to do.Also worried that the savings I have will be blown at Uni and I'll still be living at home with my Mum when i'm 27.

I did my Access course when I was 50. I graduated this year at 70. I lived on my State Pension throughout my degree whils supporting a grandchild through college. It all depends how much you want it.
You are still too young to think that it's become too late for a degree. But now it's the best time to act.

You think a £19k job is decent? I left a £36k job in (Server/Networks Management) for education. Why? My colleague used to earn 8k more than me because he got a degree in computing, and in reality, I got more experience years than him!
You're not crazy.

I decided at 24 that I wanted to study science. I had to give up my freelance work (film & journalism-related), flat, and independence to do. My parents luckily were in full support of me going back to uni and invited me back to live with them (I moved out at 18) so that I could make the dream a reality. I'm 26 now and in third year, and definitely won't be able to afford to move out before I'm at least 28. I've no regrets. :smile:
Original post by Haddaway97

It is a bold decision. In fact, you get better career opportunities after Uni. Consider all your financial conditions before you take a decision. All the best!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending