The Student Room Group

Is it possible for a full time student to have 2 jobs?

I recently got a job at Saisnburys, but I got a call today for another job that I applied for and I'm going tomorrow for a trial. If everything goes okay, do you think it will be possible for me to have both jobs while a student?

My shifts are:
Sainsburys (Sat-Sun-Mon 11pm-7am) temporary contract, ends in January
Other job as a sales assistant (Mon-Tue-Thu-Fri-Sat 9am-1pm)

My classes are:
Mon-Tue-Thu-Fri 2pm-6pm
Wed 10am-2pm

Mind you, we don't do exams at my university, only assignments. Which means that during the Christmas holidays I'll have a lot of free time.
Nah just do day shifts forget night shifts and u will be very tired
When will you sleep on Mondays?
Reply 3
Original post by TheYearNiner
Nah just do day shifts forget night shifts and u will be very tired

But that's the job I don't want to let go of. I only work 3 days a week, yet I make 1k a month. I think it's really good money for someone with no epxerience like me.
Reply 4
Original post by Duncan2012
When will you sleep on Mondays?

I guess I wont be sleeping on Mondays...
Original post by sofia.dmtr
But that's the job I don't want to let go of. I only work 3 days a week, yet I make 1k a month. I think it's really good money for someone with no epxerience like me.

Do Sainsbury's just do 1 job because education is more important and it will give you more than 1k a month btw work hard
Reply 6
Mondays and Tuesays are gonna be the hardest but its worth the try no?
Reply 7
Original post by TheYearNiner
Do Sainsbury's just do 1 job because education is more important and it will give you more than 1k a month btw work hard

Yeah, I was thinking of doing only the Saisnburys one. Because if I have both jobs then I will sleep literally 0 hours on Mondays and Tuesdays
Reply 8
I get your point of view but I need the money and uni life is pretty easy for me because it works a bit different compared to other unis. So basically the year is divided in 4 blocks, each block is 6 weeks. We do 1 module for each block only, with two assignments (for example, the first block contains a presentation and a report). After the 6 weeks, we get 1 week break then on to the next block. Then xmas holidays are from 14 dec- 14 jan, which gives me lots of free time. My sister graduated first class with a business degree 3 years ago, yet she cant get a graduate job and is stuck working as a TOPSHOP sales assistant because she had no experience. So, I wanna make sure that I gain as much money, but experience as well, as possible. I will try to ask for less shifts, maybe Tue-Thu-Fri-Sat (or even less) if possible and see if I can do it.
Reply 9
You're sort of setting yourself up for issues. You will struggle with that amount of work and lack of down time and your health will probably also suffer.
Personally I'd think it's a bad idea, but up to you OP. How much do you need the money? The extra experience won't make much difference to your cv. I wouldn't be looking to keep the Sainsbury's job once it finishes in January.
Perhaps you could just work on Saturdays and Sundays in Sainsbury's, and not do Mondays?
(edited 5 years ago)
Definitely don't do both with those hours. You're going to burn yourself out.

Quick Reply