The Student Room Group

*MEGATHREAD* Medicine A-Level subjects queries UPDATED for 2022 entry

Scroll to see replies

(Original post by TCL)...... and she doesn't want to go to Cambridge
Not now :frown:
Original post by 5thchild
(Original post by TCL)...... and she doesn't want to go to Cambridge
Not now :frown:

In theory Cambridge does accept applicants with only 2 sciences but it's rare and it would be a disadvantage.

Oxford remains an option though - although they require pretty exemplary GCSEs.
Hi, I’m very torn for choosing my (Scottish) highers and I was wondering what is needed to have a good chance at going to university to study medicine.
I haven’t taken national 5 chemistry because at the time I had no intention of being a doctor. I absolutely love biology and maths I find bearable. I know I’d have to crash higher chemistry but what are the advanced highers needed?
I would like to know what I should take in order to have a really good, fighting chance of getting into universities like Edinburgh for example.

Thanks for the help!!
My school says that we need to submit our sixth-form applications by the start of December. Can anyone give me any advice for wanting to do medicine at university? My targets are only 6s but i'm determined to start revising so I believe I will achieve these. Would I be able to do the following A-levels:
- Biology
- Psychology
- Maths?
as far as im aware you have to do 2 sciences, where maths is counted as a science so i think you will be ok.

as for grades though you usually need a 7 in maths to do it at a level
I'm going to go and have a word with our head of maths and see if he'll let me do the course. I've heard other people have done this but if I can't do maths do you have any suggestions on what I should do?
Original post by toitnups
I'm going to go and have a word with our head of maths and see if he'll let me do the course. I've heard other people have done this but if I can't do maths do you have any suggestions on what I should do?

chemistry or physics
Original post by Gent2324
chemistry or physics

Thank you :smile:
A-level Chemistry is a very common requirement for medicine. There are a few courses that accept only A-level Biology, but you will find the range of courses you can choose to apply to somewhat limited as a result - if you subsequently do poorly on the UKCAT, or if you don't get higher GCSEs, this might restrict your options even more (by having to tactically avoid GCSE heavy medical schools, for example). Something to consider perhaps...
(edited 5 years ago)
definitely do chemistry as it will close a lot of universitoes for you
Would I be better off doing psychology or maths along with chemistry and biology? I've heard that A-level maths is really difficult but i'm not sure about psychology. Would 3 sciences increase my chances of getting into university, or two sciences and maths? :s-smilie:
Would I be better off doing psychology or maths along with chemistry and biology? I've heard that A-level maths is really difficult but i'm not sure about psychology. Would 3 sciences increase my chances of getting into university, or two sciences and maths? :s-smilie:

they'd be seen as equal. neither would be stronger. do what you think you can get AAA in.

maths is seen as a science btw

AFAIK only Cambridge insist on 3 sciences:

https://www.themedicportal.com/application-guide/choosing-a-medical-school/what-a-levels-do-you-need-to-be-a-doctor/
My school says that we need to submit our sixth-form applications by the start of December. Can anyone give me any advice for wanting to do medicine at university? My targets are only 6s but i'm determined to start revising so I believe I will achieve these. Would I be able to do the following A-levels:
- Biology
- Psychology
- Maths?

Chemistry is a much more frequently required A-level for Medicine. Not having it will significantly limit your medschool choices.
Original post by AhmarIT
maths is seen as a science btw

But for Medicine, Biology and Chemistry are better than Biology (or Chemistry) and Maths.
Original post by Doonesbury
But for Medicine, Biology and Chemistry is better than Biology (or Chemistry) and Maths.

it'll help once u start but in terms of admissions it's not
Original post by AhmarIT

Therefore it's not a priority to have it, and shouldn't be recommended to aspiring students in preference to the more usual Chem & Bio.
I’m thinking of taking Biology, Chemistry, Psychology and English Language. Can I get into a good university and then a good medical school? Or do I need to take all three sciences?
Original post by AhmarIT

Biology AND Chemistry should be choices of all potential medicine applicants if it is an option. 18 medical school require biology and there are only 10 that will accept applicants without chemistry. None of them require maths and nothing beyond GCSE maths is needed for a medical degree

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending