Tass41
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Hello,

I would like a bit of opinions on the matter of school choice. I am residing overseas and I am changing careers from education to law. I have applied and have since been accepted to study the LLM or GDL at BPP, UOL and LSBU in 2019. I have never been to the UK and know absolutely nothing about these universities other than what their website and google has provided. I would like opinion on these matters:

1. Which is looked on more favourably, the GDL or the LLM. In my own country these two routes are widely unheard of and my friends who are already lawyers in my home country could not offer much advice in this regard. Since I have been living abroad since I completed my undergraduate I will continue to do so and I would like the opinion of individuals already in UK.

2. I know nothing substantial about UK universities other than the obvious top tier ones. Are the universities I listed considered good enough universities to get a good education. Also, are there any other good universities that also offers the GDL/LLM that I could apply to?

Thank you in advance for taking the time to respond to me.
London Met Uni
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Tass41)
Hello,

I would like a bit of opinions on the matter of school choice. I am residing overseas and I am changing careers from education to law. I have applied and have since been accepted to study the LLM or GDL at BPP, UOL and LSBU in 2019. I have never been to the UK and know absolutely nothing about these universities other than what their website and google has provided. I would like opinion on these matters:

1. Which is looked on more favourably, the GDL or the LLM. In my own country these two routes are widely unheard of and my friends who are already lawyers in my home country could not offer much advice in this regard. Since I have been living abroad since I completed my undergraduate I will continue to do so and I would like the opinion of individuals already in UK.

2. I know nothing substantial about UK universities other than the obvious top tier ones. Are the universities I listed considered good enough universities to get a good education. Also, are there any other good universities that also offers the GDL/LLM that I could apply to?

Thank you in advance for taking the time to respond to me.
Hi Tass41,

I'm one of the official London Met reps. We offer a range of Law courses here at the university that you might be interested in.

Here is the link to our Legal Practice LLM course. We have fantastic facilities, including our very own mock courtroom!

London Met is located in the heart of London, which is an amazing city for students to live in.

Take a look at our video to get a sense of what studying here with us would be like:
https://youtu.be/YUQYxZJaTgA

I've tagged in our student rep, who will be able to answer any questions you may have.

Have a great day!
Nonie
London Met Uni students
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Hey Tass41

Hasnai here, the official London Met student rep.

I will try my best to help you out, and you have come to the right place to get different opinions. I am not sure if you come from a Law degree background as maybe you should be looking into the LLB instead of the LLM but here are some pros and cons of each.

1. GDL vs LLM: there are pros and cons to everything, so here’s what I know so far about these courses.

GDL pros
• It’s a bit cheeky to say but the GDL is the quickest way of getting the qualification you will need to progress to the Legal Practice Course (LPC) or the Bar Professional Training Course (BPTC) if you are coming from a non-law degree background
• You can save an extra year of tuition fees and living costs especially if you are an international student.

GDL cons
• As the GDL is only a one-year course, most of your time will be dedicated to studying which means you will have less time to get some legal work experience
• Due to the length of the course you may also have less time to get to grips with each topic

LLM pros
• Most people go for an LLM to specialize in a certain area of law, for example, environmental law or employment law.
• There are opportunities for vocational work activities to give you further experience at London Met.

LLM cons
• The LLM, however, is aimed at those who have already completed their LPC. Its aim is to help you apply academic understanding and research techniques to the analysis of law further.

Ultimately, you should go with the option that’s best for you and caters to your needs.

At London Met we offer both the GDL and LLM. In the most recent Destinations of Leavers from Higher Education (DLHE) survey, 100% of all 2017 graduates from these courses were in work or further study within six months.

Here is what one student had to say about the GDL course at London Met
“Studying law at London Metropolitan University has been one very interesting aspect of my life. I have been able to gain the much-needed commercial awareness in today's world. The support I have received from the tutors have given me the ability to stand and discuss on topical issues within and outside the United Kingdom. I have also been motivated to obtain an advanced degree. I strongly believe that the knowledge I have received from my studies at London Metropolitan University would enable me to face the challenges ahead as well as contribute my quota to the development of society."

I recommend you try to come to the UK for a short stay just to visit the universities and talk to the tutors from the courses to get a better understanding.

Have a look here if you want to attend an Open Day at London Met.

Sorry about the long response, I could go on forever about this topic, but I hope it helps. Let me know how it goes and feel free to ask me anything.

Hasnai
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think receiving Teacher Assessed Grades will impact your future?

I'm worried it will negatively impact me getting into university/college (42)
37.84%
I'm worried that I’m not academically prepared for the next stage in my educational journey (9)
8.11%
I'm worried it will impact my future career (4)
3.6%
I'm worried that my grades will be seen as ‘lesser’ because I didn’t take exams (29)
26.13%
I don’t think that receiving these grades will impact my future (17)
15.32%
I think that receiving these grades will affect me in another way (let us know in the discussion!) (10)
9.01%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise