The Student Room Group

AQA AS bio Question about DNA

. Describe how the structure of DNA enables it to replicate semi-conservatively.(3 marks)
i know the answer is to do with the strands and the complementary bases, but i dont know how to write it and link it together.
Original post by vianash
. Describe how the structure of DNA enables it to replicate semi-conservatively.(3 marks)
i know the answer is to do with the strands and the complementary bases, but i dont know how to write it and link it together.

Try...

There's no point writing you an answer, because you'll just copy it. You need to be able to express yourself for the examination, so you might as well practice here, and someone can then correct it, or suggest improvements to it. But you need to have a go first :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by Reality Check
Try...

There's no point writing you an answer, because you'll just copy it. You need to be able to express yourself for the examination, so you might as well practice here, and someone can then correct it, or suggest improvements to it. But you need to have a go first :smile:

thanks for your advice. i did write an answer. but it was wrong. hence why i asked for help.
Its been a while so i could be wrong. Weak H bonds between the complementary base pairs allow them to be broken sperating the double helix into two single DNA strands, one running 5'-3' and the other running 3'to5'. Each strand now acts as a template for the construction of the complementary strand so you now have two double helixes with each consisting of a new strand and a parent strand. There is some more stuff about directionality of the strands and different enzyemes involed in the replication which off the top of my head were DNA ligase, DNA polymerase and DNA helicase but i dont remember the speicifc actions executed by them. Check a revision guide or text book for a real answer.

Quick Reply

Latest