Lesley4075
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 11 months ago
Hello, my son would like to go to Uni next year to do a Geography course. Does anyone know how all the various field trips are paid for please? Is it part of the student finance loan? Or are they solely funded by the student/parent?
ho2901
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
In Leeds, there is £500 you can claim from the University for cost such as Flight tickets and accommodation for the whole degree. You would probably go on one trip for the whole degree.
University of Derby
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
(Original post by Lesley4075)
Hello, my son would like to go to Uni next year to do a Geography course. Does anyone know how all the various field trips are paid for please? Is it part of the student finance loan? Or are they solely funded by the student/parent?
Hi Lesley4075,

Here at Derby, fieldwork is associated with modules. The policy is, if the module is compulsory to the programme of study, the associated fieldwork is included in the course fee. If the module is optional, then the student has to pay 80% of the cost of the fieldwork.

Compulsory modules do vary between the BSc (Hons) single honours and Joint Honours (combined) study. As part of the latter, it will be whether Geography is studied as a major, minor or 50/50 subject choice that determines which modules are compulsory. We do have a programme structure diagram for September 2019 entry I could send you on DM if you wish.

There is no bursary scheme within the department where a student has to pay for fieldwork, and students are usually expected to make one payment for their trip in advance of going. But if there is financial hardship, it can be arranged for the fieldwork payment to be made in instalments.

I hope that helps explain how it works for our Geography course - and do tag me in again if you need more help.

Ryan
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Durham University
    Pre-Application Open Days Undergraduate
    Sat, 21 Sep '19
  • University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Day - Penryn Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 21 Sep '19
  • Loughborough University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 21 Sep '19

What's your favourite genre?