The Student Room Group

Mental health problem

Hi, I am a year 13 student who has the ambition to apply to Cambridge. I want to study mathematics and is predicted A*A*A which satisfy the entry requirements of Cambridge.

However, my mental health is very weak and is always being made fun of for trying very hard in my academic subjects. They keep on laughing at me even If I reach the top of the year. What is worse is that If I get a question wrong, I will be told I am **** and Cambridge isnt right for me by the posh kids.
Pls help, I dont want to have a bad mindset in such a crucial time.
See your GP regarding your mental health issue which they may refer you to a therapist or may prescribe you medication.

As for others, it is not your problem. They are ones who don't appear to have a life, got anything interesting to. You could say "why are so obsessed with me for" or "don't you have a life".

Work hard now and the hard work pays off in the future.
Reply 2
I agree with @Analyst89. Focus on improving your MH by seeking help, it's important for your current wellbeing and your future. Book a double appointment with your GP (preferably one you either trust/get along with or one who has a special interest in MH issues). Outline your current problems and triggers, then explain what sort of support you'd like to try accessing (e.g. therapy, counselling, medication, etc.).

Good luck, OP.
Reply 3
ty all
If you're working hard to get 3 x A*'s to study maths at Cambridge - then I would say that that's an indication that your mental health is in a good state.

That type of dedication for worthwhile ambition is to be commended.

The comments from your peers are just childish jealousy from those unwilling to put the effort in to get to Cambridge, or unable to, due to a lack of academic ability, even if they worked twice as hard as you. Take their jibes as a massive compliment that you are doing the right thing with your time now. And also that you are significantly more mature than they are.

I bet your teachers don't knock you for your attitude to getting into the joint best university in the world. They have far more sense and wisdom than the kids in your year.

Getting questions wrong is a great way to learn. Never have any fear in giving an answer in school or uni. It's not about whether your answer in class is right or wrong. It's whether your answer in the exam is right or wrong that counts. And then once you've graduated, it's your ability to do whatever job that you decide to do that counts. Having the confidence to speak up, even though what you say might be wrong, is a good asset for most jobs.

Analyst89 has given sound advice on seeing your GP and taking things from there. I'd recommend you follow Analyst89's advice.

Studying for A levels - especially to Cambridge standards - is the most demanding academic thing you will ever do. Get past this hurdle and studying for exams gets easier and more enjoyable once you're at uni.
Hey, I was in exactly the same situation last year (I’m now in year 13 too). You’ve probably already decided whether to send off your application by now, but you need to just try and ignore all the negative things around you and focus on your own goals. I found that this year people are too busy to make these type of comments unlike in year 12, and later in the year you’ll probably find this too. When you finish school you won’t see these people again so don’t let them stop you from following your dreams :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending