The Student Room Group

Depressed living at university

I really need some advice. I’m at Birmingham City University and I’m feeling so depressed like I’ve come to a new city and I’m finding it so hard to make friends. I’m not really a party person so I guess that’s why it’s so difficult but I’m in my room all day everyday I cry, I want to study but not here I am so sad here, what should I do? I having horrible thoughts in my head aswell.
Original post by kiarahenry05
I really need some advice. I’m at Birmingham City University and I’m feeling so depressed like I’ve come to a new city and I’m finding it so hard to make friends. I’m not really a party person so I guess that’s why it’s so difficult but I’m in my room all day everyday I cry, I want to study but not here I am so sad here, what should I do? I having horrible thoughts in my head aswell.

Are you speaking to anyone at the University's health service? I know it can be difficult to reach out for help but this should totally be your first point of call. I've been in a similar situation as you before and there are people there that are no doubt lovely and will help you in any way they can.

In terms of making friends, have you tried joining any societies? First year can be difficult if you're not big on drinking but most Universities have societies for literally every interest. What do you enjoy doing?
(edited 5 years ago)
Yeah I’ve tried joining one society but all they do is go clubbing, how do I find different societies? I haven’t reached out to the health service but I probably will. I like things like going restaurants, cinema, shisha or just Chillin really
Original post by Elastichedgehog
Alright first of all, are you speaking to anyone at the University's health service? I know it can be difficult to reach out for help but this should totally be your first point of call. I've been in a similar situation as you before and there are people there that are no doubt lovely and will help you in any way they can.

In terms of making friends, have you tried joining any societies? First year can be difficult if you're not big on drinking but most Universities have societies for literally every interest. What do you enjoy doing?

Yeah I’ve tried joining one society but all they do is go clubbing, how do I find different societies? I haven’t reached out to the health service but I probably will. I like things like going restaurants, cinema, shisha or just Chillin really

Try reaching out to the health service asap :h:
I'm not sure about your university but where I'm at there's a page on the SU website where you can search through all of the societies. There's usually film and food related societies in most universities.

EDIT: Just had a look on the BCUSU website and there's a list of societies here. Might be worth having a look: https://www.bcusu.com/get-involved/student-groups/
Original post by Elastichedgehog
Try reaching out to the health service asap :h:
I'm not sure about your university but where I'm at there's a page on the SU website where you can search through all of the societies. There's usually film and food related societies in most universities.

EDIT: Just had a look on the BCUSU website and there's a list of societies here. Might be worth having a look: https://www.bcusu.com/get-involved/student-groups/

You are so lovely! You’ve literally made me feel better already thank you
You are so lovely! You’ve literally made me feel better already thank you

No problem, hope things work out for you :h:
(edited 5 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest