The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

You can just take STEP if you want :bump:
Wish
...Hence when we are at university, Mathematicians are relaxed at the start of the years as they know the stuff and don't find the leap too hard. :wink:

BTW, What are the London Big 4? :s-smilie:

This is rubbish. Unless, you are being sarcastic. Certainly, I don't remeber truth tables in further maths and I don't remeber set theory in further maths too or normal maths.

johnheyes91
London Big 4 is UCL, KCL, Imperial, LSE..

LSE don't offer maths.

Nebuduck
Maths A-level involves a lot of numerical methods - learning how to solve problems by applying some rule or other - differentiation, for example. Further Maths is a lot more concerned with proofs and the logic behind mathematics (although it's still too simple for my liking), which is what you'll be studying at one of the top Unis. It's really a failing of the A-level system that studying Mathematics doesn't really prepare you for doing maths at Uni, but there's enough slagging off of A-levels already without me chipping in.

Yeah, I remeber the days of further maths it involved lots of proofs. Although, I do agree about the falling standards of A level maths.

johnheyes91
my friend says that further maths is just 1st term uni maths?

That is a big lie. I wish it was but lol I didn't learn anything about truth tables or quantifiers or set notation or proof by contrapostive in FM. That was the first two weeks, well not but lol. In the applied side FP2 was covered in about the first week and then we went on to limits which is pretty fun.

johnheyes91
also, if i work hard, will i find maths at uni okay even though i couldnt didnt do FMaths?

I can only speak from my short experience in being a maths student at manchester. But, it seems that doing work instead of dossing around and maybe doing problems from books or understanding definitions e.t.c. will give you a better advantage over people who do FM. As after the second week its pretty much beyound further maths.
Reply 42
Simplicity
[words]

You do realize that this thread's a year and a half old, right?
BJack

Dammit.

I just got trolled by who ever bumped this up.
Reply 44
BJack

hahahahahahaa!
Reply 45
yh.... Maths is the mother of all sciences.... it has to be toughest..... though you can choose some other option if you really think so.... may be some plan B if you have....

Latest