username2244141
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
So I've just started first year and one of the modules I chose is absolutely awful! It's very poorly organised and I just don't feel like I'm taking any information in from the lectures. Unfortunately, it's too late to switch because all other modules have filled up, so I'm stuck with this.

The problem is that I have an assignment (worth 20%) due soon, and I really feel like I don't understand what I'm doing at all. I have a meeting with my tutor tomorrow, so I'm going to see if they can provide some light (although I'm not holding out too much hope), and I just feel like this is not going to be my best assignment. My main fear is that if I get a 2.2, will it massively prevent me from getting a 2.1 in this module overall? My next assignment will be an essay, and I think I've found a question I could do a good answer for, and then the exam is worth 50% (I'm not super great at exams, but I can work harder to revise for this module).

I know I sound very silly worrying like this, I just have a lot of issues at home right now as well and I feel like the universe is sending me a message that I shouldn't be at uni.
username4094562
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by MartinisSkip)
So I've just started first year and one of the modules I chose is absolutely awful! It's very poorly organised and I just don't feel like I'm taking any information in from the lectures. Unfortunately, it's too late to switch because all other modules have filled up, so I'm stuck with this.

The problem is that I have an assignment (worth 20%) due soon, and I really feel like I don't understand what I'm doing at all. I have a meeting with my tutor tomorrow, so I'm going to see if they can provide some light (although I'm not holding out too much hope), and I just feel like this is not going to be my best assignment. My main fear is that if I get a 2.2, will it massively prevent me from getting a 2.1 in this module overall? My next assignment will be an essay, and I think I've found a question I could do a good answer for, and then the exam is worth 50% (I'm not super great at exams, but I can work harder to revise for this module).

I know I sound very silly worrying like this, I just have a lot of issues at home right now as well and I feel like the universe is sending me a message that I shouldn't be at uni.
20% is not that much. As long as you get a mid 2:1 in the exam, this assignment won’t matter that much.
random_matt
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
A 2:1 is still not guarenteed on the modules, you have exams too. I got firsts on mostly every written piece of work, but exams brought back down to a 2:1.
username2244141
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
(Original post by random_matt)
A 2:1 is still not guarenteed on the modules, you have exams too. I got firsts on mostly every written piece of work, but exams brought back down to a 2:1.
My question was if I got a 2.2 in one assignment would it prevent me a lot from getting a 2.1, not if a 2.1 was guaranteed
random_matt
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by MartinisSkip)
My question was if I got a 2.2 in one assignment would it prevent me a lot from getting a 2.1, not if a 2.1 was guaranteed
You know your grade boundries, work it out.
username2393237
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Yes it's very possible, but don't give up just yet. Think about what you're going to say tomorrow. You might surprise yourself.
Elastichedgehog
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I'm in my final year, and having spoken to my tutor apparently the way grades are calculated, roughly, is by what grade you got in the majority of modules. It's not based on a numeric/percentile calculation. Just make sure you do well in your other modules, one 2:2 isn't the end of the world.
s817
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Depends on what percentage the module was. If it was high then it could affect your overall grade
DrawTheLine
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Nope, I barely passed one of my assignments for a model and ended up with a solid 2:1 overall. It isn't the end of the world!
Andrew97
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I failed a 10% midterm last year. Did well on the exam and for a first for it.

This may sound like showing off, but it’s encoragement. Good luck
nksupremeleader
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
It's simple percentages, you can work this out. If you get a mid 2.2 55% on the 20% assignment and get a mid 2.1 65% on the other 80% of assignments then you walk out with a 2.1 63% overall. So sure, of course you can still get a 2.1.

But if you haven't even submitted the assignment yet let alone had it marked then there's no point worrying about it yet is there!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (145)
14.4%
I'm not sure (42)
4.17%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (302)
29.99%
I have already dropped out (26)
2.58%
I'm not a current university student (492)
48.86%

Watched Threads