Report 5 months ago
Can someone advise how clearing works? Thank u
JoeTSR
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by TCL)
Now that so many medical schools have sent out all their offers, there are lots of very good applicants with no offers. It appears that there are now 4 options:

1 - Keep trying for 2019 - through UCAS Extra, clearing, waiting lists, listening out for any med schools informally re-opening applications;

2 - Take a year out, work out how to make your application stronger and/or apply more strategically next time;

3 - Do a medical related degree and apply as a graduate or try to transfer at the end of the first year;

4 - Give up on medicine and try something else!

What are people planning to do? Anybody with advice/experience to share for people in this situation?
About to be a graduate from SGUL, will be applying for medicine 2020 entry. Would definitely not recommend option 3. GEP is ridiculously competitive and tough, and the 5 year course is ridiculously expensive. The work schedule of a biomed aiming to transfer is crazy, and is worse than medics, possibly even worse than GEP medics. 90% of your course is trying to get into medicine, so it's super competitive for 3 years, and you're banking everything on being able to get in. If you don't, you're stuck doing a job you probably don't want to do that has massive competition for jobs. Assuming you don't get onto a 4 year course, you're looking at 20-25k out of pocket, plus loans, plus the loans associated with the first degree.

I'd definitely spend a year strengthening your application, doing resits, extra A levels, etc, rather than jump into a course you don't want to do for the vague hope of getting one of a handful of graduate places.
ValentinaDuque
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by TCL)
Now that so many medical schools have sent out all their offers, there are lots of very good applicants with no offers. It appears that there are now 4 options:

1 - Keep trying for 2019 - through UCAS Extra, clearing, waiting lists, listening out for any med schools informally re-opening applications;

2 - Take a year out, work out how to make your application stronger and/or apply more strategically next time;

3 - Do a medical related degree and apply as a graduate or try to transfer at the end of the first year;

4 - Give up on medicine and try something else!

What are people planning to do? Anybody with advice/experience to share for people in this situation?
I’ve been rejected by my 4 choices (3 post-interview, 1 didn’t do interviews). For now I’m just going to keep trying for 2019 entry through clearing, however getting in this way is probably very unlikely. If I meet the normal offer grades I’ll phone up the universities on results day to see if there is any available places on the course. If this also doesn’t work then I will take a gap year and hopefully strengthen my application and most importantly my interview skills!

Good luck to everyone!
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
Last edited by ValentinaDuque; 4 months ago
Untamed-child
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
In the same situation as well

i create a GYG thread just for motivation and stuff

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho...0#post82385870 if you want to look at it

and I defo want to still do medicine so just i guess it just getting the grades now
ShikaMekiFuka
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
What’s your remaining one?
(Original post by SyedHB)
UPDATE:
2 rejections post interview
1 withdrawn choice

1 remaining
Dr..D
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by ValentinaDuque)
I’ve been rejected by my 4 choices (3 post-interview, 1 didn’t do interviews). For now I’m just going to keep trying for 2019 entry through clearing, however getting in this way is probably very unlikely. If I meet the normal offer grades I’ll phone up the universities on results day to see if there is any available places on the course. If this also doesn’t work then I will take a gap year and hopefully strengthen my application and most importantly my interview skills!

Good luck to everyone!
4 rejections too 😶
MrGoreHelp
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
Good luck to anyone facing 4 rejections this cycle. It's the worst thing ever and it will test your resilience to the max.

I just finished my 2nd gap year, got 2 unconditional med offers this year. Pm if you want some advice or anything
SyedHB
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by ShikaMekiFuka)
What’s your remaining one?
Thanks for asking!
It was Liverpool.
And I got an offer!! conditional firm.
ShikaMekiFuka
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
Got 2 rejections ( one of them waiting list )
2 remaining

staying hopeful
LuigiMario
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
So last year (September 2018 entry) for A100 in clearing, for the first time ever (that I am aware of) prestigious University of Exeter overtly offered Medicine in clearing, for Adjustment/Clearing day (16th August 2018)

and covertly, University of Leeds wrote letters to (some of?) the people who they had rejected for A100 inviting them to apply for Clearing.

As the 17-18 year declining demographics are likely to still be in play, plus there's this exit chaos which might be deterring some EU candidates, the Czech and Hungarian and Polish medical schools are ramping up their tuition in English ....I think that Adjustment/Clearing day (Thursday 15th August 2019) could be interesting for you 'rejectees'

you are not actually "rejected", it's partly that the UCAS system is broken, relying too much on predictions. my friends this year have also applied to TEN irish universities through their CAO.ie, whilst the places will be allocated by computer, purely on the basis of what the actual final school results are. (Ireland does have similar pre-tests (HPAT etc) interviews to the UK for medicine, nursing as these are in higher demand than supply also across the Irish Sea)

I have helped friends through the adjustment & clearing days in the last two years, secret is to phone the university where you are interested as soon as you have any results, even as early as July. read their daily updates on their websites, pre-register for their Clearing email newsletters, and on the actual Glorious Fifteenth - have a landline phone, at least two mobile phones with data contracts, iPads etc, Desktop computers, Laptops as you will probably spend FOUR HOURS talking on the 'phone, mini-interviews etc and hours scouring the 'web. You need spare resources, lots of hot water and sandwiches and pizza and towels, and basically a spare everything, with spare batteries & chargers. Consult the media, Daily Telegraph have an iOS App which tries to rank the seeming millions of places, and remember that it is still very competitive on the actual day to get through to these colleges, then for both them and you to assess the best match, and go for it, mutually.

you might all need to read Sun Tzu 'the art of war', OK, that's exaggerating a bit, but at least master 'game theory' to the extent of working out which alternative routes exist into the medical profession, taking Biomed in Dundee or Cornwall, whatever you can find, it might also be in clearing...

An interesting path to becoming a doctor will probably make you a better one. take care, have fun
Dr Gin
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
Med schools are all aiming to shrink X thousand applicants to exactly Y places on results day. Despite clever algorithms it is simply not possible to get it absolutely right and so virtually every med school will 'do' some version of clearing. Some will actually advertise through clearing, some will phone 'near miss' candidates, some are awaiting your phone call...
Many med schools have a batch of MMI interviews planned for August; they can, of course, cancel them but they have them lined up and ready to go...
Med schools all have to decide whether they trust their pre-interview filter (i.e. they are determined that the interviewees they have already experienced will ultimately make up their future doctors and those that fell outside of the filter are unworthy) or that they trust their interview process more (i.e. if they are short on suitable candidates post interview then they need to relax their pre-interview criteria and meet more people). Each med school makes a different decision on this.
Main points for results day are:
Know your interview score post-rejection so that you have an idea whether you were a near miss or miles off
Don't 100% rely on UCAS update on results day as it doesn't work for everyone
Make sure your school forwards your results at or near 6am so that you have enough thinking time before admissions services open at 7am+
Have admissions contact details ready for all your med schools plus any that you meet the baseline criteria for and would like to speak with if things are going pear-shaped
If you get some ridiculous grades like A*A*A* then, if recent years are anything to go by, somewhere like Georges or Liverpool (and maybe some of the new med schools) will invite you to interview within a few days of results day.
If you get AAA + then somewhere that rejected you pre or post interview may consider you again.
If you are insanely nervous on the phone then a parent can phone for you; not 100% ideal but most admissions teams don't mind at all.

I have supported so many unsuccessful medics over the last few years and, so far, they have all made it to medical school the next year. the main thing is to nail the A level grades as your gap year is revolutionised by having those grades in the bag...

My daughter was a triple rejectee post interview first time around and then got AAB. She reapplied, got 3 offers, resat, ended up with A*A*AA and got on with it. She is now a 4th year med student planning a BSc next year at Peninsula (Plymouth) medical school.

Only give up if you want to...
Last edited by Dr Gin; 4 months ago
TCL
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
There are some very interesting FOIs out there. https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/reque...ine_entry_2018 shows that for A100 standard applicants at Newcastle,

841 were interviewed
473 received offers with interview scores over 34
28 more received offers in early May - but these were ALL the candidates with scores between 29 and 33 who were not holding an offer elsewhere.
103 did not get a high enough score to be included in the May batch.

Effectively, for standard Newcastle applicants who got an interview last year, the top 56% got offers, the next 32% got an offer in early May if they were not holding another offer elsewhere, 12% scored 28 or less in their interview and did not get an offer from Newcastle in 2018, but may have had offers elsewhere and hopefully got some useful feedback.
Riches
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
This is excellent advice. My son has just got four rejections through. He is very academically able but quiet and reserved and I think this was his stumbling block in the interviews, although like a lot of you he thought they went well. He is now deciding wether to take up pharmacy or have a gap year. I feel for you all, I have been a nurse for over twenty years and at the present time we are short of all medical professionals! I also think at eighteen my son would not be ready for even the basic medical placements so a gap year maybe a blessing.
(Original post by bibos)
Dude, I am in EXACTLY the same position as you. 9a* gcses, 4A* predicted A-levels and 807.5 UKCAT score, loads of voluntary work etc. I got 4 interviews, and I currently have 2 post-interview rejections, waiting to hear from the other two.

It feels pretty rough to get rejected twice already, and I'm not too hopeful about the other two. What can I say? If I get 4 interviews this year (a pretty good achievement by itself) then I take a gap year, my chances for next year will be great; because I'm certain that I'll be more mature and I'll be able to take the time to get more experience, confidence and become more empathic and understanding towards other people. Don't feel so rushed! Re-applying would show real commitment and enthusiasm.

For now, focus on getting good A level grades. Even if you get a conditional offer, you'll need the grades to get in! If you don't get an offer, your A-level grades will have a big impact on your future applications. Worrying about your interview performance won't do anything but stress you out right now.
Stephanie02
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by Overthinking)
Got 3/4 rejections so far, waiting for the last one. I know it’s going to be bad news. What are other people’s plans?
Mature student -
2 pre interview rejections
2 post interview rejections
So so disheartening but I plan to reapply for 2020!
idek423
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
Been rejected by all 4 of my unis so I would like to know which option do you guys think is better:

1. Do 1st year Medical Biochemistry (firmed unconditional) and try transferring in.
2. Gap year and reapply next cycle

Any feedback is appreciated
ax12
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by idek423)
Been rejected by all 4 of my unis so I would like to know which option do you guys think is better:

1. Do 1st year Medical Biochemistry (firmed unconditional) and try transferring in.

Option 1 restricts you more than option 2, even if you apply through UCAS as well as the transfer scheme.

With option 2 you also have time to work and save some money
ax12
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
For those rejected, when they say in the email 'this is the full extent of the feedback we can offer you' if you ask for more feedback are they unable to give you any?
If they’ve already told you they won’t be giving you more feedback there’s no point asking for more
GANFYD
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago

Gap year and reapply is almost always the best option. All other means of entry are even more ridiculously competitive
idek423
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
Thanks for the feedback GANFYD ax12
JoeTSR
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
Gap year for sure. Rock your A levels, get good experience, maybe chuck in an extra A level if you want to boost your application, job done. Graduate entry is far more competitive and costs an absolute ton if you don't do the 4 year course.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...

All the exam results help you need

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

• University of Dundee
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Mon, 26 Aug '19
  • University of Aberdeen
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Tue, 27 Aug '19
  • Norwich University of the Arts
    Postgraduate (MA) Open Day Postgraduate
    Sat, 31 Aug '19

Do you have grade requirements for your sixth form/college?

At least 5 GCSEs at grade 4 (65)
14.32%
At least 5 GCSEs at grade 5 (70)
15.42%
At least 5 GCSEs at grade 6 (87)
19.16%
Higher than 5 GCSEs at grade 6 (183)
40.31%
Pass in English and Maths GCSE (21)
4.63%
No particular grades needed (28)
6.17%