The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
mobb_theprequel
I suppose I could write them an email so that it's dealt with first thing on Monday.

I forget to ask another thing: I do General Studies A2 and yet there is no mention of it on my teacher reference - am I meant to have a predicted grade for General Studies?

Yes you should have a predicted grade.
Geogger
Possibly, but since most Unis don't use it as part of their offers, its not needed. i assume you put it on your list of exams to be taken?

Correct - I've listed GS under exams to be taken, plus I've listed my AS result for it.

Oh, and the biggest paragraph in my teacher reference (about extra-curriculars, positions of responsibility etc.) looks like a straight lift from various parts of my personal statement! Is this what teachers usually do in the reference?
Reply 22
mobb_theprequel
It makes me wonder whether this whole debacle is down to pure incompetence - or worse - somebody trying to **** me over!

It just goes to show how ridiculous it is that my school prohibits students from seeing their references. The mistakes are absolutely idiotic, but I've got to love the part where it says "Rob scored an excellent 289/300 in Maths" - that would never happen in a million years, lol.

Incompetance. Trust me. When it's schools, it's usually incompetance. .

I think this is a good reason why referances should be seen by students before they're sent. I'd make you're school pay the £10 that you had to spend (presumably) to get the form.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 23
:eek: Oh my god, that's so out of order! Hope you get it sorted asap sweetie :smile:
Ellie4
:eek: Oh my god, that's so out of order! Hope you get it sorted asap sweetie :smile:

Thanks. :smile:

I can't be too gung-ho about this with the school - or else the small matter of my waning attendance might be raised!
Reply 25
mobb_theprequel
It makes me wonder whether this whole debacle is down to pure incompetence - or worse - somebody trying to **** me over!

It just goes to show how ridiculous it is that my school prohibits students from seeing their references. The mistakes are absolutely idiotic, but I've got to love the part where it says "Rob scored an excellent 289/300 in Maths" - that would never happen in a million years, lol.

It is probably that the school office (or whoever does it) was not accurate in transferring the reference from the disc - chances are that someone else in your school ALSO has a mixed up ref! Who do you know that applied with a Maths score of 289?
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 26
Geogger
It is probably that the school office (or whoever does it) was not accurate in transferring the reference from the disc - chances are that someone else in your school ALSO has a mixed up ref! Who do you know that applied with a Maths score of 289?

That's a good point! If you know who the wrong bit could belong to, then you should tell them as they may have the rest of yours! Or at least make sure your teacher tries to track down who it could belong to.
Geogger

I don't know of anybody with 289 in Maths; but then I haven't really asked many Maths ppl for their module scores.

My Economics teacher is also a Maths teacher though, my Economics mark was 287/300 (so pretty close to that phantom 289) - and my Economics reference is missing!

So maybe it could be a case of somebody typing up the reference from my Econ teacher, and mistakenly thinking that i was a geek :wink: - sorry - Maths person?
Reply 28
mobb_theprequel
I don't know of anybody with 289 in Maths; but then I haven't really asked many Maths ppl for their module scores.

My Economics teacher is also a Maths teacher though, my Economics mark was 287/300 (so pretty close to that phantom 289) - and my Economics reference is missing!

So maybe it could be a case of somebody typing up the reference from my Econ teacher, and mistakenly thinking that i was a geek :wink: - sorry - Maths person?

What does the Maths (Econ supposedly) ref sound like - there ought to be refs to aspects of the course in the ref, so you should be avle to tell whether its a Maths or Econ ref
Reply 29
mobb_theprequel

Lol. The kid who probably worked so hard for that is likely now applying for Horse Studies at Brighton and has been given the reference: TWAT.
(edited 10 years ago)
Geogger
What does the Maths (Econ supposedly) ref sound like - there ought to be refs to aspects of the course in the ref, so you should be avle to tell whether its a Maths or Econ ref

The offending article:

Maths: Predicted Grade A
Rob scored an excellent 289/300 at AS and has proved himself to be academically excellent. He shows a clear ability to assimilate information and is confident when researching topics on his own.
Actually - I've confuzzled my AS grades myself! Apologies.

I got 279 in Econ, not 287 (the 287 was in the subject which is missing entirely from my UCAS - History).

So therefore the UMS in 'my' Maths reference in 10 out as compared to Econ, and two out as compared to History.

I can see next week is going to be fun, fun, fun. :biggrin:
Reply 32
mobb_theprequel
The offending article:

Maths: Predicted Grade A
Rob scored an excellent 289/300 at AS and has proved himself to be academically excellent. He shows a clear ability to assimilate information and is confident when researching topics on his own.

Is that ALL he's written? We are expected to write 5 to 6 lines for each student in a form that can be utilised directly by the form tutor who puts the ref together!
It doesn't sound like a Maths ref... they don't do anything like research and work on their own!
Reply 33
mobb_theprequel
Actually - I've confuzzled my AS grades myself! Apologies.

I got 279 in Econ, not 287 (the 287 was in the subject which is missing entirely from my UCAS - History).

So therefore the UMS in 'my' Maths reference in 10 out as compared to Econ, and two out as compared to History.

I can see next week is going to be fun, fun, fun. :biggrin:

But if they have entirely missed out a History ref and predicted grade, then they are going to need to contact the Uni admissions tutors for you. I suspect
Reply 34
What are you applying for Rob?
Reply 35
Geogger
What are you applying for Rob?

Law!
Reply 36
Ellie4
Law!

mmmmm, well its vital that the right info gets to the admissions tutors asap
Geogger
Is that ALL he's written? We are expected to write 5 to 6 lines for each student in a form that can be utilised directly by the form tutor who puts the ref together!
It doesn't sound like a Maths ref... they don't do anything like research and work on their own!

Yup - that's a word for word copy.

Oh, :redface: that's the other thing. My teacher reference is 26 lines long - and when you consider that a line is taken up just to say: "Subject X, Predicted Grade X" - it seems well short! And there are six line gaps between 'paragraphs' (my subject references are 2-4 lines long, in all cases).

Please may you tell me what the word limit for the teacher reference is? Thankyou.
Reply 38
Geogger

We did! We were left to teach ourself certain topics, and then the teacher went over them afterwards. But we were a Further Maths set.

But I agree it sounds more like economics than maths
Geogger
mmmmm, well its vital that the right info gets to the admissions tutors asap

I've applied to v. competitive places too - I just hope my application isn't on some outer London refuse site at the moment - because I'm sure that LSE wouldn't waste any time in binning erroneous Law applications!

Latest

Trending

Trending