The Student Room Group

2 jobs and IDK which to pick...

Okay so I do agency work every now and again and also look for work independently outside of that.
The other week, the agency sent me to the local football stadium (not naming names in case I start an argument lol) to do some bar work. It was alright. Half time nearly killed me, but I got through it to the other side. It was 5 hours work with a 15 minute break and just above minimum wage because agency money. Total pay was about £20 after taxes. The agency rang and said they'd asked for me specifically, for another match this Saturday.
Literally an hour before that, I got a call from another agency. I had applied for the local version of Oktoberfest, not thinking I'd get it. I apparently did because they wanted me to work Friday and Saturday. The guy on the phone asked about my work at the football stadium and I told him and he said "right well it's going to be like half time all the time." This is minimum wage and after hanging up I found out that it would be 20 hours over the 2 days, 8 hours Friday and 12 hours Saturday, with a 20 minute break every 6 hours. I would finish at 11 both nights, and then, as I can't drive, I would have to take a bus back to the station and a train from there and then it's a half hour walk from the station to my house. At what will be well after midnight.
Honestly, it sounds like hell. But it's more money. But the football stadium asked for me specifically and I know they're looking to fill a permanent position so maybe going there on Saturday will make them more likely to hire me?
I just honestly don't know what to do. If Oktoberfest ended even an hour earlier I wouldn't be so hesitant. It is like £118 against £18. I'm not in dire need of money but £118 would be nice. But I'm still not sure...
Thoughts?
Original post by Anonymous
Okay so I do agency work every now and again and also look for work independently outside of that.
The other week, the agency sent me to the local football stadium (not naming names in case I start an argument lol) to do some bar work. It was alright. Half time nearly killed me, but I got through it to the other side. It was 5 hours work with a 15 minute break and just above minimum wage because agency money. Total pay was about £20 after taxes. The agency rang and said they'd asked for me specifically, for another match this Saturday.
Literally an hour before that, I got a call from another agency. I had applied for the local version of Oktoberfest, not thinking I'd get it. I apparently did because they wanted me to work Friday and Saturday. The guy on the phone asked about my work at the football stadium and I told him and he said "right well it's going to be like half time all the time." This is minimum wage and after hanging up I found out that it would be 20 hours over the 2 days, 8 hours Friday and 12 hours Saturday, with a 20 minute break every 6 hours. I would finish at 11 both nights, and then, as I can't drive, I would have to take a bus back to the station and a train from there and then it's a half hour walk from the station to my house. At what will be well after midnight.
Honestly, it sounds like hell. But it's more money. But the football stadium asked for me specifically and I know they're looking to fill a permanent position so maybe going there on Saturday will make them more likely to hire me?
I just honestly don't know what to do. If Oktoberfest ended even an hour earlier I wouldn't be so hesitant. It is like £118 against £18. I'm not in dire need of money but £118 would be nice. But I'm still not sure...
Thoughts?

It depends how much you think you can take and whether you would be interested in a more permanent job going forward. You’ve weighed up the /-‘s pretty well for both sides.

Having worked behind bars a few times they are definitely stressful at peak times but the customers know you can only work as fast as you can. I think I would choose based on how much experience I have so far and how comfortable I feel in such a fast-paced setting. I would choose the Oktoberfest job now because I know I could cope, but two years ago I would have gone for the football club because I was inexperienced and made more mistakes, so a slower pace would be beneficial.

Sorry if that didn’t help much, but at the end of the day, you know your limits and only you know whether you can cope or if you would like a job going forward.

Edit: also bear in mind that if you are trying to gain experience, more time spent at one place will look much better on your CV than jumping between events, and you may be able to get references from the football club even a couple of years later when you’re looking for full time work.
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by carrotstar
It depends how much you think you can take and whether you would be interested in a more permanent job going forward. You’ve weighed up the /-‘s pretty well for both sides.

Having worked behind bars a few times they are definitely stressful at peak times but the customers know you can only work as fast as you can. I think I would choose based on how much experience I have so far and how comfortable I feel in such a fast-paced setting. I would choose the Oktoberfest job now because I know I could cope, but two years ago I would have gone for the football club because I was inexperienced and made more mistakes, so a slower pace would be beneficial.

Sorry if that didn’t help much, but at the end of the day, you know your limits and only you know whether you can cope or if you would like a job going forward.

Edit: also bear in mind that if you are trying to gain experience, more time spent at one place will look much better on your CV than jumping between events, and you may be able to get references from the football club even a couple of years later when you’re looking for full time work.

I'm still not sure but I accidentally left out of the first one that I get migraines that are triggered by a lot of light and noise and I've never been before. I have no idea if/how the live band and lighting will affect me...
Original post by Anonymous
I'm still not sure but I accidentally left out of the first one that I get migraines that are triggered by a lot of light and noise and I've never been before. I have no idea if/how the live band and lighting will affect me...

Then contact them and be honest, tell them you forgot and just want to check out what the venue will be like before you accept. Then at least you’re informed, and it may make the decision for you.
I think football club as they asked specifically for you so might lead to full time job if thats what you want.
Reply 5
I think you should go with the football stadium. It's another 5 hour shift, correct? If you barely got through that shift, the oktoberfest gig is going to be worse. If there is going to be loud music playing and you only get a 20 minute break after 6 hours (?!) how are you going to manage if you get a migraine? Then the Saturday shift is going to be even worse. You might not even be well enough to return the next day. I agree with everyone else, stay at the stadium and this could lead to a full time position. If it doesn't, at least you will have some references from them.
Agree with thinking about your experience. I'd stick with the stadium job for now, maybe after a few months you'll feel more confident to work in busier environments for longer periods.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending