Khonsu
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
So I want to do a masters but there’s a few things making me not want to: 1. Freedom 2. Funding commitment

My other option is to work/ start my businesses

It’s an MSc from a very high uni and the course is over subscribed

Is it even worth doing masters? Or should I postpone/ not do one?
Khonsu
Rep:
?
Bump
Herts PG Student Repsdafaf
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
If you wanted to combine the best of both worlds, you could do a part time Masters alongside going into work. It would take a bit longer, but doesn't tie you down to just doing the Masters.

What area of study is the MSc in? Whether it's worth it or not depends on what you want to do. If you plan on starting your own business, a Masters may not be absolutely necessary (that isn't to say it won't be useful - again, depends on the course). On the other hand, if you're entering a fairly competitive job market, a Masters could help you stand out a bit.

If you're unsure you could always work for a bit (perhaps on a graduate scheme) and go from there. It is up to you after all!

Hope that helps.

Theo
Khonsu
Rep:
?
(Original post by Herts PG Student Rep)
If you wanted to combine the best of both worlds, you could do a part time Masters alongside going into work. It would take a bit longer, but doesn't tie you down to just doing the Masters.

What area of study is the MSc in? Whether it's worth it or not depends on what you want to do. If you plan on starting your own business, a Masters may not be absolutely necessary (that isn't to say it won't be useful - again, depends on the course). On the other hand, if you're entering a fairly competitive job market, a Masters could help you stand out a bit.

If you're unsure you could always work for a bit (perhaps on a graduate scheme) and go from there. It is up to you after all!

Hope that helps.

Theo
Thank you for replying! I think that helps since if I’m starting my own idea I’d definitely not need the masters I only wanted it for knowledge gained in general for everything but I feel it’s limiting in that I get no creative design license. It’s an engineering MSc, even when studied part time you have to be in 5 days a week at a time per module. It’s honestly turning me off and I’ve also looked at another double masters that is better but finding it looks like a myth. My only withdrawal is if I don’t do the masters now and postpone it I might never do it and I don’t know if that’s so good
Herts PG Student Repsdafaf
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Ah yes, engineering can be pretty full on! From my experience, a Masters is useful if you can and want to do it but isn't always a substitute for 'real world' experience. It does also take a fair commitment, as you've mentioned, so if you do feel like you're doing it more for the CV cred (for lack of a better phrase) it may not make the Masters the most enjoyable experience anyway. As much as some people go on about it, it isn't the be all and end all 😊

Theo
Khonsu
Rep:
?
I meant funding it* yeah I hear you completely, but I also think it depends on the course
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you experienced financial difficulties as a student due to Covid-19?

Yes, I have really struggled financially (77)
17.99%
I have experienced some financial difficulties (124)
28.97%
I haven't experienced any financial difficulties and things have stayed the same (160)
37.38%
I have had better financial opportunities as a result of the pandemic (54)
12.62%
I've had another experience (let us know in the thread!) (13)
3.04%

Watched Threads