The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 120
Original post by AperfectBalance
Morals are irrelevant
Spoken like a true 'progressive' Your argument is invalid since I am not citing law, I am saying that it is morally bad to refuse to educate someone due to beliefs.

Spoken like a true charlatan and a fool. You've taken what I originally said completely out of context. The post I was originally replying to was about freedom of expression, not morals. You've deliberately shoehorned the concept in and now you're whinging because I called you out on said shoehorning. Quit wasting my time with this diversionary crap.
Original post by Dez
Spoken like a true charlatan and a fool. You've taken what I originally said completely out of context. The post I was originally replying to was about freedom of expression, not morals. You've deliberately shoehorned the concept in and now you're whinging because I called you out on said shoehorning. Quit wasting my time with this diversionary crap.

I really dont think you understand this pretty simple idea at all, what matters is not "rights" but what is right, this is to do with morals.
Reply 122
I really dont think you understand this pretty simple idea at all, what matters is not "rights" but what is right, this is to do with morals.

You're raising objections to my post that have absolutely no context. Morals have no relevance when talking about freedom of expression. If you want a debate about what is morally right or wrong find someone who actually cares, because I don't. As far as I'm concerned an employer is perfectly within their rights to hold themselves to a polticial ideal, just as employees and other businessess are within their rights to tell said employer to stick it up their jumper, if they don't agree with their standpoint.
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by Dez
You're raising objections to my post that have absolutely no context. Morals have no relevance when talking about freedom of expression. If you want a debate about what is morally right or wrong find someone who actually cares, because I don't. As far as I'm concerned an employer is perfectly within their rights to hold themselves to a polticial ideal, just as employees and other businessess are within their rights to tell said employer to stick it up their jumper, if they don't agree with their standpoint.

I am not talking about freedom of expression that has been very clear I am saying that it is morally wrong that has been very very clear.
Reply 124
I am not talking about freedom of expression that has been very clear I am saying that it is morally wrong that has been very very clear.

Then why on earth did you reply to my post, which was about freedom of expression? :facepalm:
Reply 125
Original post by AngeryPenguin
You can look at it like this - people with far-right views are dangerous, and should be kept away from children.

Thus far-right people should be kept away from schools to prevent them being a danger to children.
Can you please elaborate how supporting free speech makes you far right if you please? Just trying to help you, can you please follow the logic of such a conclusion to show us how did you reach this conclusion logically? like point by point following each other logically, would help. Thank you.
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by Dez
Then why on earth did you reply to my post, which was about freedom of expression? :facepalm:

Because I was saying that legality is not that important because this is morally bad.
Reply 127
Because I was saying that legality is not that important because this is morally bad.

I will repeat my appeal - how did you decide that wise educated people who created the British legislation failed to take into account the morality side of the story? please elaborate point by point and logically follow every point as a conclusion based on certain logic. PLEASE ELABORATE IT IN LOGICAL MANNER, EMOTIONALISM CANNOT JUSTIFY CRIME COMMITTED. !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! DO YOU RESPECT THE BRITISH LAW, YES OR NO?
(edited 5 years ago)

In their original post, Dez was talking about the legality surrounding freedom of expression and not whether it is moral or not. Morality doesn't make a difference if you're talking solely about what is currently allowed under the law. Discussions on morality are totally separate to that.

Not sure how you didn't understand that from their post?
Original post by SHallowvale
In their original post, Dez was talking about the legality surrounding freedom of expression and not whether it is moral or not. Morality doesn't make a difference if you're talking solely about what is currently allowed under the law. Discussions on morality are totally separate to that.

Not sure how you didn't understand that from their post?

that is the whole point, I said that you should not be coming from a legal side, It is wrong and I was trying to get them to say that it was wrong or justify their views
Original post by Aaleie
I will repeat my appeal - how did you decide that wise educated people who created the British legislation failed to take into account the morality side of the story? please elaborate point by point and logically follow every point as a conclusion based on certain logic. PLEASE ELABORATE IT IN LOGICAL MANNER, EMOTIONALISM CANNOT JUSTIFY CRIME COMMITTED. !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! DO YOU RESPECT THE BRITISH LAW, YES OR NO?

Firstly (as far as we know) she committed no crime I never stated that there was any crime going on, I stated that kicking someone out of a school was wrong.
that is the whole point, I said that you should not be coming from a legal side, It is wrong and I was trying to get them to say that it was wrong or justify their views

You don't seem to understand. Again, they weren't talking about morality. They were talking soleley about what the law actually says. They never said it was a good thing or bad thing (from what I remember reading, at least) and nor should they need to. Why? Because they were making a factual statement (or correcting one, for that matter). Morality is irrelevant to this.

You can debate morality all you want but it's not what the conversation was about.

What do you not understand about that?
In reality her paper thin ideologies were probably dismantled effortlessly in debate, and after being laughed out the room, she made up this fanfic to paint herself as a martyr lol.
Original post by Truths
In reality her paper thin ideologies were probably dismantled effortlessly in debate, and after being laughed out the room, she made up this fanfic to paint herself as a martyr lol.

I just reread the article and realised this is a case of college/sixthform not a university. So I take this back. I doubt they debated her. The likelihood is that she was espousing racist an borderline hate speech in her views, seeing as she identifies as a white nationalist party/nazi party... There's no place for that in lower education.
I am afraid I feel uncomfortable about this in two respects.

The basis on which this commercial training provider operates is still not clear but I suspect they are receiving public money for providing training and so should be publicly accountable. Several days have passed since the incident and yet apart from putting out a platitudinous statement, they have neither justified their actions nor disputed her account of events. Effectively they have ignored what she has said and carried on regardless.

Secondly the incident supposedly happened in a forum where trainees were asked to give their political opinions. Whilst that doesn’t give licence to make statements that are illegal, asking for political opinions and then giving a warning when you don’t like those opinions is not right.
The fire rises.

Latest

Trending

Trending