£75 Amazon vouchers up for grabs... Help us test our new tool! Watch

shooks
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
-----
Prize draw update

It's great that some of you have had a chance to try out this new tool. Now, I've managed to blag some free money to hopefully entice a few more of you into having a go...

Test out the TSR Articles tool before 9am Monday 29 October and you'll be in with a chance of winning one of three £75 Amazon vouchers. Full details on using the tool are below, but the short version is simply:

Create a new article

Give us general feedback on the tool

You'll have to both create an article and leave us feedback in order to be eligible for the draw.

-----

We're currently building a new tool for The Student Room: TSR Articles.

Using this tool, anyone can create an article on TSR (or edit an article that has already been created).

But before we launch it, we need to test it - and we'd love to have your help.

If you're up for trying out the tool, you can access a beta version of it here: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/con.../article_basic

From there, you can create and save an article. As this is a beta test, you will not yet be able to publish your article on the live site. However, your article will be saved in the system and when the tool goes fully live, you will be able to publish at that time.

Once you've tried out the tool, we'd love to hear what you thought of it (this is the really important bit!). Please fill it in and let us know how it went. https://www.surveymonkey.co.uk/r/W7JGX9N

Sounds interesting? Here's how to get started...

Using the tool
The tool is intended to be really easy to use. So, you've basically just got two fields to fill in - your title and your article content.

You're free to build your article in any way you like. If your article is really long, consider breaking up the text with images. Full-width works best (620 x 400 pixels).

When you're adding your text, you'll see a button bar appear. You can use this to make formatting changes and add links, images and spoilers to your text.

At the bottom of your article, you'll see a Category drop-down box. Click on this and choose the most relevant category for your article. If another box then appears, you can choose a sub-category, if you wish.

Once you're done, click the Submit button to save your article.

To get back to all of the articles you've created, go here: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/articles

Edit an existing article
You can edit any of the articles you have created; you just need to type /edit at the end of your article's URL. (When the full tool is launched, there will be a button for this).

Thanks for trying out our new tool - and please let us know how you got on. https://www.surveymonkey.co.uk/r/W7JGX9N
winterscoming
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
So, a few comments, not really feedback, maybe devil's advocate?
  • What is the intended goal of this? i.e. what kinds of articles does TSR actually want? Something similar to the kinds of articles which TSR staff produce?
  • Is it supposed to be for anyone to write pretty much any old rubbish, does it matter if they treat it like a blog, etc?
  • Will TSR be in editorial control over the articles being submitted? if not, how will quality and signal-to-noise ratio be kept in-check?
  • Should all articles be factual/objective? If so, what happens if an article is filled with opinions or contentious facts?
  • What about controversial topics? Also, what about trolls?
  • How would articles be handled if they're just almost-duplicates of other existing stuff? e.g. 2 different people (with the best of intentions) both writiing more-or-less the same thing on the same topic?
  • What happens to articles which need more work? e.g. someone dumps a "wall of text" which contains some OK content but has some mistakes, maybe a bit of bad grammar, bad formatting, etc. Alternatively, what happens to articles whose content is essentially useless?

I'm not trying to be negative in any way here, I like the idea. I can see the potential for this feature to result in a lot of noise/clutter being generated and think it'd be a shame if that happened - maybe even if most people have the best of intentions, there's still a decent chance of attracting a lot of 'fluff' which nobody ever reads, or endless articles all saying the same things in slightly different ways. A lot of people might not really be 'cut out' to write a decent article. I'm wondering whether TSR have thought about how to stop that happening, or whether it's something that matters?
Reality Check
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Nice - more free content from members to monetise with zero cost by TSR Ltd.
Retired_Messiah
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Imma echo winterscoming here, I too am not quite sure what this is really meant to be used for. I just used the tool to produce this bad boy:

Can't say I'm sure that this really does anything that I couldn't already just do in a post.
the bear
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
i thought it meant that TSR was going to change to an ornate typeface

04MR17
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by winterscoming)
So, a few comments, not really feedback, maybe devil's advocate?
  • What is the intended goal of this? i.e. what kinds of articles does TSR actually want? Something similar to the kinds of articles which TSR staff produce?
  • Is it supposed to be for anyone to write pretty much any old rubbish, does it matter if they treat it like a blog, etc?
  • Will TSR be in editorial control over the articles being submitted? if not, how will quality and signal-to-noise ratio be kept in-check?
  • Should all articles be factual/objective? If so, what happens if an article is filled with opinions or contentious facts?
  • What about controversial topics? Also, what about trolls?
  • How would articles be handled if they're just almost-duplicates of other existing stuff? e.g. 2 different people (with the best of intentions) both writiing more-or-less the same thing on the same topic?
  • What happens to articles which need more work? e.g. someone dumps a "wall of text" which contains some OK content but has some mistakes, maybe a bit of bad grammar, bad formatting, etc. Alternatively, what happens to articles whose content is essentially useless?

I'm not trying to be negative in any way here, I like the idea. I can see the potential for this feature to result in a lot of noise/clutter being generated and think it'd be a shame if that happened - maybe even if most people have the best of intentions, there's still a decent chance of attracting a lot of 'fluff' which nobody ever reads, or endless articles all saying the same things in slightly different ways. A lot of people might not really be 'cut out' to write a decent article. I'm wondering whether TSR have thought about how to stop that happening, or whether it's something that matters?
Have you ever seen or heard of the TSR wiki? This is basically the same as that, but less 2006. It's a concept the site has had for years as being "more than a forum". So there isn't anything particularly new about this.

A lot of the problems you've listed are problems which the wiki could have jad previously. But TSR has either gotten around them, or the trolls cannot be bothered to use articles.

The Community Team have articles that only they can edit, on your point about editorial control.
winterscoming
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by 04MR17)
Have you ever seen or heard of the TSR wiki? This is basically the same as that, but less 2006. It's a concept the site has had for years as being "more than a forum". So there isn't anything particularly new about this.
There's a TSR wiki??? Maybe I'm being dense, but where on earth is that hidden? :lol:

A lot of the problems you've listed are problems which the wiki could have jad previously. But TSR has either gotten around them, or the trolls cannot be bothered to use articles.
But is that also because noone has any idea how to access it and it's protected by obscurity? (Or is that just me? )

The Community Team have articles that only they can edit, on your point about editorial control.
If everything is being moderated by the community team then I guess that'd probably solve most of the problems
04MR17
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by winterscoming)
x
www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki
:yy:
You will find some old wiki articles linked to in the "useful resources" tab on the right hand side on the side bar when you're within some forums.
shooks
Rep:
?
Prize draw bump (see OP)
chloenm
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
actually liked the article
AnayaS101
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
when i tried to upload an article i was emailed that it was moved to draft??
jemima0103
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Worked really well, I created an article about my trip to Berlin
username3506416
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Who won???
shooks
Rep:
?
(Original post by Ariel2611)
Who won???
We've got 23 entrants. The prize draw is about to happen...stay tuned...
shooks
Rep:
?
OK, our first winner is...

Cntin01 ... Come on down!
shooks
Rep:
?
Winner #2 is...

Ariel2611 ... Come on down!
shooks
Rep:
?
Aaaand, winner #3 is...

chloenm ... Come. On. Down!!
shooks
Rep:
?
That's a wrap, folks. Thanks everyone for all your help and feedback - and look out for the updated and upgraded version of TSR Articles very, very soon.

For our three winners - keep an eye on your PMs for your Amazon code
Cntin01
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Thank you so much and I hope that you start adding more features that can improve our experience on this platform. Again thank you so much Shooks (Original post by shooks)OK, our first winner is...

(Original post by shooks)
OK, our first winner is...

username3506416
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by shooks)
Winner #2 is...

Ariel2611 ... Come on down!
Oh my! Wow! Thank you!!!!!!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

People at uni: do initiations (like heavy drinking) put you off joining sports societies?

Yes (117)
63.59%
No (67)
36.41%

Watched Threads