sana-1
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Hi,
I'm Scottish and considering studying undergraduate primary education in England, however I would like to move back to Scotland after qualifying. Does anyone have any experience of doing this and could share if its easy to make the move?
I know England have a 3 year degree but Scotland has 4, so does it make a difference?
Also, does England have the equivalent of a probationary year after graduating?

Thanks
04MR17
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by sana-1)
Hi,
I'm Scottish and considering studying undergraduate primary education in England, however I would like to move back to Scotland after qualifying. Does anyone have any experience of doing this and could share if its easy to make the move?
I know England have a 3 year degree but Scotland has 4, so does it make a difference?

Thanks
Hiya.

Lots of Primary Education BA courses in England are 4 years and come with QTS (Qualified Teacher Status) which means that a PGDE wouldn't be needed - assuming this is what you mean by a probationary year.

Some Primary Ed courses do not come with QTS though so be careful - these are more likely to be the 3 year courses too.

Hope this helps.
Muttley79
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Hi,

Thanks
There used to be a rule that you had to study the teaching qualification in Scotland to teach there; has that been changed?
Muttley79
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Found this on TES: https://www.tes.com/articles/moving-...ching-scotland
sana-1
Rep:
?
I’ve been looking into Leeds Beckett uni, and the course is titled primary education with recommendation for QTS and it’s a 3 year course. However I’m unsure if that means I’d be fully qualified to teach or I’d need to a probation/induction year following this.
sana-1
Rep:
?
I thought that too that you had to study where you want to work, but many have said teaching qualifications are transferable.
04MR17
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I’ve been looking into Leeds Beckett uni, and the course is titled primary education with recommendation for QTS and it’s a 3 year course. However I’m unsure if that means I’d be fully qualified to teach or I’d need to a probation/induction year following this.
Email them and ask.
1AlanM
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
The info you need will be on the GTCS website.
The requirements vary as to which qualification you get and whether or not you’ll be registered with a professional body.

If you currently live in Scotland and want to teach in Scotland you’re best doing your teacher training in Scotland as you’ll have no fees to repay and the courses are geared to the Scottish education system.

If you live elsewhere in the U.K. you may be better moving to Scotland and getting a PSA position for a couple of years then going to Uni here. You’ll then qualify for free tuition and have lots of relevant experience.
Last edited by 1AlanM; 1 year ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (588)
33.97%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (718)
41.48%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (346)
19.99%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (79)
4.56%

Watched Threads