The Student Room Group

UCL does't accept non-UK graduates for Medicine?

I have PhD and MSc from UCL, and BSc from non-UK university, I was planning to apply for UCL Medicine but just realised that UCL doesn't accept applicants who don't have A-level from UK :frown: Is that correct?
Reply 1
you could try IB...
Reply 2
Original post by JackFu
you could try IB...

what is IB?
Reply 3
Original post by VensSky
what is IB?

It is an A level equivlant that is normally taught in foreign countries e.g. China. But If you havent done that then u dont have the right qualifications for an Bsc degree or BA.
Reply 4
It could be easier just to email them and find out
Original post by VensSky
I have PhD and MSc from UCL, and BSc from non-UK university, I was planning to apply for UCL Medicine but just realised that UCL doesn't accept applicants who don't have A-level from UK :frown: Is that correct?

You should contact and ask and see if they are willing to waive the degree criteria, considering your higher degrees from there.
In terms of A levels it says should and not must, so you are going to have to impress them with your Biology and Chemistry credentials. The odds are against you though.
Reply 6
Original post by 999tigger
You should contact and ask and see if they are willing to waive the degree criteria, considering your higher degrees from there.
In terms of A levels it says should and not must, so you are going to have to impress them with your Biology and Chemistry credentials. The odds are against you though.

Thanks. I contacted them and here is the reply:
"From the information provided you do not meet our graduate entry requirements since non-UK undergraduate degrees do not fulfil our entry requirements. However, since you have completed a postgraduate programme in the UK we would consider an application if you complete your PhD, have a minimum 2.1 standard in your non-UK first degree, show evidence of your pre-university level qualifications which are equivalent to our entry requirements for graduates (ABB at A Level) and you will need to complete the below qualifications.
Graduate applicants must fulfil all academic entry requirements (including A level and GCSE requirements) in order to be eligible to apply. In order to be eligible to apply you will need to complete A level Biology and Chemistry, pass the Practical element of the A levels if you are studying the new linear A levels, and achieve A*A (in either order) and fulfil our GCSE requirements."

I am confused! If I prove them the equevalents, why they need A-level and GCSC again?!!
Reply 7
Original post by JackFu
It could be easier just to email them and find out

"From the information provided you do not meet our graduate entry requirements since non-UK undergraduate degrees do not fulfil our entry requirements. However, since you have completed a postgraduate programme in the UK we would consider an application if you complete your PhD, have a minimum 2.1 standard in your non-UK first degree, show evidence of your pre-university level qualifications which are equivalent to our entry requirements for graduates (ABB at A Level) and you will need to complete the below qualifications.
Graduate applicants must fulfil all academic entry requirements (including A level and GCSE requirements) in order to be eligible to apply. In order to be eligible to apply you will need to complete A level Biology and Chemistry, pass the Practical element of the A levels if you are studying the new linear A levels, and achieve A*A (in either order) and fulfil our GCSE requirements."

I am confused! If I prove them the equevalents, why they need A-level and GCSC again?!!
Original post by VensSky

It sounds more like an application from admin. Get on the phone and speak to them .
The odds imo are against you, but they have discretion.

I agree the point about A levels is contradictory, unless they are envisaging a scenario where your pre degree A level equivalents were of the required standard and they require you to have taken A levels subsequently. Only they can tell you.

I would phone, or at least seek clarification on their statement.
Reply 9
Original post by JackFu
It is an A level equivlant that is normally taught in foreign countries e.g. China. But If you havent done that then u dont have the right qualifications for an Bsc degree or BA.

THanks a lot.
Also if UCL are being silly to you why not apply to other universities who will actually appreciate all the work youve done already

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending