The Student Room Group

History or classical civilisation? (A level)

Hiya im currently in year 11 studying history. I want to go into some sort of journalism career... maybe fashion? Im hoping to take 4 a levels and my three other choices are photography, media and english language. However, im stuck deciding between history and classics. I already have knowledge about the history topics and i like there is some coursework. I really like the topics of classics but i dont know how i feel about the texts and if its too much like emglish literature. If anyone has something to say about these topics would really help. If anyone takes both, please tell me which you prefer. Thanks!
Original post by Student2943
Hiya im currently in year 11 studying history. I want to go into some sort of journalism career... maybe fashion? Im hoping to take 4 a levels and my three other choices are photography, media and english language. However, im stuck deciding between history and classics. I already have knowledge about the history topics and i like there is some coursework. I really like the topics of classics but i dont know how i feel about the texts and if its too much like emglish literature. If anyone has something to say about these topics would really help. If anyone takes both, please tell me which you prefer. Thanks!

Academically History imo is a bit stronger, but Classics is well respected and traditional.
Classics is a mix of History, Sociology and Literature. Its good fun. The literature is very contextual, so its a lot more than what the plot is, it has a social and historical context plus you get all the mythology as well. Different from English.
History is known for having a large volume which can be painful, but its easier to manage if you are actually interested in History. Very good if you are curious and have an opinion. History would be the easiest.

They are both cool subjects.

Quick Reply

Latest