username4287288
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Hii

I'm Daniel and I'm in Year 12. I started sixth form just over a month ago, and I thought I'd make this thread to keep track of my progress and to ensure I stay on top of my work.

GCSE Grades:
Spoiler:
Show
English Language: 8
English Literature: 8
Maths: 9
Biology: 9
Chemistry: 9
Physics: 9
Geography: 9
Religious Studies: 9
French: 8

A Level Subjects:
Spoiler:
Show
Biology
Chemistry
Maths
Further Maths

Year 12 Targets:
Spoiler:
Show
Biology: A
Chemistry: A
Maths: A
Further Maths: A

Future Plans:
Spoiler:
Show
I'm not 100% sure - most things sound interesting to me. The things that I'm currently looking into are careers related to maths, science or criminology/law enforcement.

Extra Academic Stuff:
Spoiler:
Show
I'm going to start teaching myself French, Spanish, Italian and German. Obviously not all at once - I think I'll start with French and Italian.

In November I'm sitting the UKMT Senior Maths Challenge. I've never done it before so it should be fun

I really enjoy reading. I used to read entire novels in a couple of days but now I only manage about 1 every week or two. I read anything from George Orwell to The Hunger Games to "Talking With Psychopaths". Everything just interests me, I guess.

About Me:
Spoiler:
Show
- I listen to music quite often, and I enjoy most genres.
- I love the TV show "Criminal Minds". I think I have an unhealthy addiction to it (totally haven't watched 8 episodes today ).
- At some point I'll probably have a diagnostic assessment for Asperger's Syndrome. It's been suspected for ages but never officially diagnosed.
- I struggle with anxiety quite a bit, which has a detrimental impact on certain areas of my life.
- I really dislike the education system, but I guess there's nothing I can do about that.
- I think pineapple on pizza is the best thing to ever exist.

I'll try to update this weekly
nyxnko_
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
best of luck with year 12! :rave: do you know which exam boards you're on?
Ooh! if you're on memrise/duolingo, please add me: I think I'm @rainynightclouds on Duolingo and @nyxnko_ on Memrise :yes:
I'm doing the SMC too! :five:
Pineapple on pizza!! :gah:
username4287288
Rep:
?
(Original post by nyxnko_)
best of luck with year 12! :rave: do you know which exam boards you're on?
Ooh! if you're on memrise/duolingo, please add me: I think I'm @rainynightclouds on Duolingo and @nyxnko_ on Memrise :yes:
I'm doing the SMC too! :five:
Pineapple on pizza!! :gah:
Thanks!
I'm on AQA for Biology and Chemistry, OCR for Maths and Edexcel for Further Maths.
I'll add you on Duolingo as soon as I make a new account - I forgot what my old email and password are :rolleyes:
Cool!
nyxnko_
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by danîel)
Thanks!
I'm on AQA for Biology and Chemistry, OCR for Maths and Edexcel for Further Maths.
I'll add you on Duolingo as soon as I make a new account - I forgot what my old email and password are :rolleyes:
Cool!
funny how you've got different exam boards for maths and fm :/
will follow you back :yes:
:rofl: I do that all the time too
sadforsadboys
Badges: 18
Report 2 years ago
Best of luck! :danceboy: Can you please tag me? I also have a GYG if you wanna check it out.
username4287288
Rep:
?
06/10/18

Just gonna update with everything I've done at sixth form and at home so far for each subject. I study independently by making detailed notes for each sub-topic. I'm quite far ahead in my studies because I really enjoy learning and everything is so interesting

Biology:
Spoiler:
Show
Lessons:
So far in lessons we've looked at cell structure, mitosis, transport across cell membranes and cell fractionation. We've also done two assessed required practicals on osmosis and mitosis. I really enjoy the content, but I'm not too sure about my teacher

Independent Study:
- Carbohydrates
- Lipids
- Proteins
- Enzyme Action
- Factors Affecting Enzyme Activity
- Enzyme-Controlled Reactions
- DNA and RNA
- DNA Replication
- Water
- ATP
- Inorganic Ions
- Eukaryotic Cells and Organelles
- Prokaryotic Cells
- Viruses

Chemistry:
Spoiler:
Show
Lessons:
We've done atomic structure and ionisation energies. My lessons are pretty slow paced which doesn't suit my style of learning, but apart from that I'm enjoying it a lot.

Independent Study:
- The Atom
- Models of Atomic Structure
- Relative Atomic Mass
- Mass Spectrometry
- Electronic Structure
- Ionisation Energy
- Trends in First Ionisation Energy
- The Mole
- Equations and Calculations
- Titrations
- Yield and Atom Economy
- Ionic Bonding
- Covalent Bonding
- Shapes of Molecules
- Polarisation and Intermolecular Forces
- Metallic Bonding
- Properties of Materials
- Enthalpy Changes
- Calorimetry
- Hess's Law

Maths:
Spoiler:
Show
Lessons:
We've finished about half of the AS Maths content: proof, algebra and functions, coordinate geometry, sequences and series, trigonometry. I enjoy it, but at the same time it's extremely boring in comparison to Further Maths.

Independent Study:
- Proof
- Indices and Surds
- Polynomials
- Algebraic Division
- Quadratic Equations
- Simultaneous Equations
- Inequalities
- Cubics
- Modulus
- Graph Transformations
- Functions
- Geometry of Lines and Circles
- Binomial Expansion
- Angles, Arc Length, Sector Area
- Trig Formulas and Identities

Further Maths:
Spoiler:
Show
Lessons:
My absolute favourite subject We've done all of the complex numbers unit and we're currently halfway through matrices.

Independent Study:
- Proof
- Complex Numbers
- Complex Roots of Polynomials
- Argand Diagrams
- Modulus-Argument Calculations
- Complex Loci
- Matrices
- Matrix Transformations

I also received the results for my first set of Key Assessments in my subjects.

Key Assessments - Set 1:
Spoiler:
Show
Biology: A*
Chemistry: A*
Maths: A
Further Maths: A

Dead happy with these

Extra Stuff:
Spoiler:
Show
This week I've started reading "One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest", and I'm liking it so far. Last week I finished "Talking With Serial Killers", which earned me some strange looks whilst I was reading it in the sixth form cafeteria

Also, I pre-ordered "Trench" by Twenty One Pilots ages ago and it came yesterday! It's amazing and I've been listening to it non-stop since last night because I'm a cool kid :cool:

I've started playing chess too. I've never played before but it's great.

I think that's everything... I think I'll try to update this thread every Sunday, so I can do a weekly summary of my lessons and independent study for each subject. Byeee

Tags:
Spoiler:
Show
nyxnko_
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Glad you're enjoying Year 12! :woo:
Indeed Maths is a bit of a joke when you compare it to FM.. :sad:
I'm horrible at chess.. but i'm glad you like it!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (3)
3.75%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (11)
13.75%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (14)
17.5%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (9)
11.25%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (29)
36.25%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (14)
17.5%

Watched Threads