?
Report 2 years ago
Sussex! (#1 on my list haha)
artful_lounger
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Taking the cue from Doonesbury, if engineering is your aim, Strathclyde and Heriot-Watt are extremely notable universities in that area that aren't in the RG (which are actually "targeted" by employers which is less common in engineering on the whole anyway, which tells you a lot about their courses' worth).

From the other suggestions above, both within engineering and generally, Loughborough is quite notable. Bath is extremely prestigious (for whatever it's worth) generally, although I'm not that familiar with their engineering courses specifically (although I think they offer some connections between architecture, civil engineering, and architectural engineering which are less common at the undergraduate level, so that might be notable - they're also very well known for their technical oriented architecture course). St Andrews is similarly highly prestigious although I don't even know if they offer engineering. Sheffield is also good generally and I believe their engineering courses are fairly well regarded (they also have architecture/civil/architectural engineering connections, if that's of interest or relevance).

I could also name a few universities in the Russell Group who are considerably less prestigious than the RG tag might suggest if you take it on face value, both generally and for engineering specifically, including one from personal experience regarding engineering in particular...I would suggest focusing less on the supposed merits of the Russell Group (a research consortium, i.e. nothing to do with undergrads other than having perhaps more options to choose between) generally and as Doonesbury says, especially for engineering where it's so far out of the realm of relevancy (unless you want to do a PhD and you know that now...in which case you might get some earlier exposure to research at an RG uni compared to some others, although e.g. L'boro and Bath will be the same in that regard anyway and there are plenty of other exceptions).
Picnic1
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Leicester

Reading

Aberdeen - General Engineering, Law,

Bath - Accounting & Finance, Architecture, Chemical Engineering, Economics, Electrical & Electronic Engineering, Italian, Mathematics, Mechanical Engineering, Politics, Psychology, Sociology,

Loughborough - Accounting & Finance, Business & Management Studies, Geography, Mechanical Engineering, Psychology, Sociology,

Lancaster - Accounting & Finance, Art & Design, Biological Sciences, Chemical Engineering, Drama Dance & Cinematics, English, French, Geography, German, History, Physics & Astronomy,

East Anglia - American Studies, Nursing,

Dundee - Art & Design, Biologial Sciences, Dentistry, Education, Law,

Sussex - American Studies, Anthropology, Drama Dance & Cinematics,

Essex - Drama Dance & Cinematics,

Royal Holloway

Surrey - French, Music, Nursing,

Heriot-Watt

Swansea - Medicine

Strathclyde - Accounting & Finance, Architecture, Chemical Engineering, Civil Engineering, Electrical & Electronic Engineering, General Engineering, Mechanical Engineering

Stirling - Education

St Andrews - Biological Sciences, Business & Management Studies, Chemistry, Classics & Ancient History, Computer Science, Economics, English, French, Geography, German, History, History of Art, Architecture & Design, Mathematics, Philosophy, Physics & Astronomy, Politics, Psychology,

Which is every university that's top 40 on https://www.thecompleteuniversitygui...ables/rankings

Next to each one, I've now put some well known 'classic' subjects for which it particularly ranks top 5 on that site - or top 10 if more than 20 universities teach that subject. The ones with no subjects next to them did not rank in those positions this year.
RichPiana
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
London Met
username3890778
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
City uni London
Notoriety
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Sheffiled.
death07/08/17
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Picnic1)
Leicester
Reading
Aberdeen
Bath
Cardiff
Dundee
Sussex
Essex
Loughborough
Royal Holloway
Surrey
Heriot-Watt
Swansea
Strathclyde
Stirling

Basically, anything that's top 40 on https://www.thecompleteuniversitygui...ables/rankings

I'm not saying St Andrews as I regard it mainly as a finishing school for the rich, including rich internationals.
Cardiff is definitely RG
Notoriety
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Picnic1)
Leicester
Reading
Aberdeen
Bath
Cardiff
Dundee
Sussex
Essex
Loughborough
Royal Holloway
Surrey
Heriot-Watt
Swansea
Strathclyde
Stirling

Basically, anything that's top 40 on https://www.thecompleteuniversitygui...ables/rankings

I'm not saying St Andrews as I regard it mainly as a finishing school for the rich, including rich internationals.
Does that mean St Andies is not 'good'? Considering OP is specifically asking about good unis.
Picnic1
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by RichPiana)
London Met
131st on https://www.thecompleteuniversitygui...niversity+Name .
RichPiana
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Name:  3763C7E2-D784-4654-8EF2-6F4EC6061978.png
Views: 361
Size:  9.7 KB
Picnic1
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by RichPiana)
Name:  3763C7E2-D784-4654-8EF2-6F4EC6061978.png
Views: 361
Size:  9.7 KB
Sorry, it went over my head that it's the very lowest ranked because I'd alphabetically ordered it. I was aware that it wasn't in the top 40, say. However, research quality-wise, it's not terrible- better than Hull and Sunderland for that, for instance.
username738914
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
St Andrews and Bath are equivalent to top (but not Oxbridge/LSE/Imperial top) brand RGs like Edinburgh, Bristol, Warwick, Durham, Exeter etc

Loughborough, Leicester, Sussex, SOAS, Lancaster are about equivalent to mid-tier brand and lower brand RGs like Birmingham, Manchester, York, Leeds and Liverpool, Cardiff, QMUL, QUB etc

Then the likes of Heriot Watt, RHUL, UEA, Surrey, Aberdeen, Strathclyde, Aston, Kent, Dundee, Reading, Coventry, City, Brunel etc round out the top 40-45 or so. Maybe Swansea (if you're doing engineering..)

Then the alright ex-polys and less recognised non-RGs like Stirling, DMU, Portsmouth, Bangor, Northumbria etc

Obviously this is for general "brand" which is more important in some industries (finance, politics, law, journalism, consulting etc) than others (engineering, design, media, business support functions, etc)
Picnic1
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Princepieman)
St Andrews and Bath are equivalent to top (but not Oxbridge/LSE/Imperial top) brand RGs like Edinburgh, Bristol, Warwick, Durham, Exeter etc

Loughborough, Leicester, Sussex, SOAS, Lancaster are about equivalent to mid-tier brand and lower brand RGs like Birmingham, Manchester, York, Leeds and Liverpool, Cardiff, QMUL, QUB etc

Then the likes of Heriot Watt, RHUL, UEA, Surrey, Aberdeen, Strathclyde, Aston, Kent, Dundee, Reading, Coventry, City, Brunel etc round out the top 40-45 or so. Maybe Swansea (if you're doing engineering..)

Then the alright ex-polys and less recognised non-RGs like Stirling, DMU, Portsmouth, Bangor, Northumbria etc

Obviously this is for general "brand" which is more important in some industries (finance, politics, law, journalism, consulting etc) than others (engineering, design, media, business support functions, etc)
Sadly, Leicester and Reading seem to have been slipping in recent years. Leicester has a problem in that it doesn't really have a single subject in which it is a 'must go' place. It's more a general sense of the vibe/architecture of the campus / student village that attracts people I think- and that it has some history e.g it was a college nof the University of London, DNA fingerprinting, David Attenborough was born on the campus, Philip Larkin was a librarian there for a bit before he went to Hull etc, it has a James Stirling building and eye catching brutalism... Historically, Leicester was very good for medicine, on a par with Kings College London, but places catch up. It's also got a small handful of good niche departments, like for Victorian Literature and American Studies.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (13)
7.34%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (29)
16.38%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (29)
16.38%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (25)
14.12%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (48)
27.12%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (33)
18.64%

Watched Threads