Mosalah11
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Hi, I am currently studying A level Biology and Chemistry it is challenging but I am willing to work hard to make it possible. Although I have taken up A levels in Science I don't know exactly what I wan to study at university but definitely something science based a lot of people have been telling me that doing BTEC actually gets you into uni for courses like optometry, radiography and nursing despite being mostly coursework and a lot less challenging.
I have done a lot of research and many universities include BTEC options in their entry requirements which made me wander whether Levels are worth doing? Is it accepted more and easier to get into universities with better Alevels in comparison to BTEC?
999tigger
Badges: 19
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Mosalah11)
Hi, I am currently studying A level Biology and Chemistry it is challenging but I am willing to work hard to make it possible. Although I have taken up A levels in Science I don't know exactly what I wan to study at university but definitely something science based a lot of people have been telling me that doing BTEC actually gets you into uni for courses like optometry, radiography and nursing despite being mostly coursework and a lot less challenging.
I have done a lot of research and many universities include BTEC options in their entry requirements which made me wander whether Levels are worth doing? Is it accepted more and easier to get into universities with better Alevels in comparison to BTEC?
A levels generally accepted everywhere and for all courses if you have the grades.
BTEC accepted most places, but certain courses like Medicine will not and others insist you have one or two A levels as well.

Do your research and if you find your course generally accepts them , you are sure thats the course for you and you think you will get a better grade, then its a viable option. It is then your choice. A levels are all well and good if you get the grades, but you have to assess where you stand the best chance and what suits you most.

Nursing should be enough on BTEC alone
Optometry is mixed they will accept BTEC but only if you have A levels for the top unis [ Manchester] whereas some of the lower down ones will accept BTEC alone [UWE].
Radiography BTEC alone sufficient.
hxnnxh4476
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Even if universities say that they accept students with BTECs, A levels are regarded much more highly. As long as you think that you can get good grades in A levels (check this with your teachers) I would definitely recommend A levels.
Mosalah11
Rep:
?
(Original post by hxnnxh4476)
Even if universities say that they accept students with BTECs, A levels are regarded much more highly. As long as you think that you can get good grades in A levels (check this with your teachers) I would definitely recommend A levels.
Thank You!
That is the reason I have decided to stay on with doing A Levels because I also have the option of applying at universities like Manchester.
Mosalah11
Rep:
?
(Original post by 999tigger)
A levels generally accepted everywhere and for all courses if you have the grades.
BTEC accepted most places, but certain courses like Medicine will not and others insist you have one or two A levels as well.

Do your research and if you find your course generally accepts them , you are sure thats the course for you and you think you will get a better grade, then its a viable option. It is then your choice. A levels are all well and good if you get the grades, but you have to assess where you stand the best chance and what suits you most.

Nursing should be enough on BTEC alone
Optometry is mixed they will accept BTEC but only if you have A levels for the top unis [ Manchester] whereas some of the lower down ones will accept BTEC alone [UWE].
Radiography BTEC alone sufficient.
Thank you so much for the advice x
2childmum
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I assume you are doing a 3rd A level alongside biology and Chemistry? Unis need 3
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    PGCE Open day Postgraduate
    Sat, 29 Feb '20
  • Edinburgh Napier University
    Postgraduate Drop-in Brunch Postgraduate
    Sat, 29 Feb '20
  • Teesside University
    All faculties open Undergraduate
    Sat, 29 Feb '20

Do you get study leave?