The Student Room Group

Sleep deprivation at college

Okay so basically I go to a college that is quite far away from where I live so I have to get up fairly early (6:45) which I know isn't early for some people but it's an hour earlier than I used to get up.

My issue is that I have been going to bed at the same time as I used to and I'm just so tired all the time. I don't really understand why I'm so tired when it's only an hour less sleep. In case you're wondering, I go to bed at about 23:15 which should give me about 7 hours sleep which I think is a good amount. However I am as I said constantly tired and it's actually affecting my grades.

I keep doing badly on tests because of silly mistakes caused by me being really tired. I am struggling to stay awake in lessons and I'm finding it hard to absorb the information. I do 4 A levels (maths physics chemistry and biology) so that might be why idk.

Basically, I'm wondering if it's normal to be this tired after only getting an hour less sleep? I know exhaustion could point to other health issues which is why I'm asking. Also, has anyone experienced a similar thing? And how do I get more sleep?
Original post by Nihilisticb*tch
Okay so basically I go to a college that is quite far away from where I live so I have to get up fairly early (6:45) which I know isn't early for some people but it's an hour earlier than I used to get up.

My issue is that I have been going to bed at the same time as I used to and I'm just so tired all the time. I don't really understand why I'm so tired when it's only an hour less sleep. In case you're wondering, I go to bed at about 23:15 which should give me about 7 hours sleep which I think is a good amount. However I am as I said constantly tired and it's actually affecting my grades.

I keep doing badly on tests because of silly mistakes caused by me being really tired. I am struggling to stay awake in lessons and I'm finding it hard to absorb the information. I do 4 A levels (maths physics chemistry and biology) so that might be why idk.

Basically, I'm wondering if it's normal to be this tired after only getting an hour less sleep? I know exhaustion could point to other health issues which is why I'm asking. Also, has anyone experienced a similar thing? And how do I get more sleep?

See GP.

Sleep in at the weekend.

Start going to bed at 9:15.

Learn to sleep on the bus or alternatively do homework there.

Change college.
Original post by 999tigger
See GP.

Sleep in at the weekend.

Start going to bed at 9:15.

Learn to sleep on the bus or alternatively do homework there.

Change college.

I don't want to see a GP. My GPs surgery is always full and it's really difficult to get an appointment. I don't think he could really do much about it anyway.

I already do that lol but by the middle of the week I'm completely exhausted

I get the train but I get two short trains rather than one long one so there isn't enough time to sleep on the train as I have to get off to get the other train.

I can't go to bed that early because I literally do not have time. My family does things really late like has dinner really late etc so it's hard to go to bed early.

I definitely don't want to change college as the college I go to is really good and I think once I've sorted my sleep out it will be better for me there than at any other college.
My family does things really late like has dinner really late etc so it's hard to go to bed early.

Have you asked to have dinner earlier? Failing that, ask to cook yourself something separate earlier.
I don't want to see a GP. My GPs surgery is always full and it's really difficult to get an appointment. I don't think he could really do much about it anyway.

I get the train but I get two short trains rather than one long one so there isn't enough time to sleep on the train as I have to get off to get the other train.

I can't go to bed that early because I literally do not have time. My family does things really late like has dinner really late etc so it's hard to go to bed early.

I definitely don't want to change college as the college I go to is really good and I think once I've sorted my sleep out it will be better for me there than at any other college.

You dont seem interested in taking practical steps to resolve your own issues. You are just all can't or don't want.
You arent the first student to commute.
You arent the first student to have work to do.
regarding gp, you should see him/her or any doctor/nurse at that point, you could have something generally wrong with you causing this type of mood/feeling

Have a look on your Surgery website and see if they have the ‘Ask a Doctor’ facility. It’s useful if you are worried about something but you don’t feel comfortable making an appointment or can’t make time. My surgery has it and I find it really useful. You sign up with an email address and password. You can go on it 24/7 and state your issue and ask if the doctor can advise you. Usually a response within a few hours but less than 24 hours. They will respond with advice, tell you to make an on the day appointment to see the doctor or nurse, advise a blood test etc. Saves a lot of time and hassle.
Original post by Seamus123
Have a look on your Surgery website and see if they have the ‘Ask a Doctor’ facility. It’s useful if you are worried about something but you don’t feel comfortable making an appointment or can’t make time. My surgery has it and I find it really useful. You sign up with an email address and password. You can go on it 24/7 and state your issue and ask if the doctor can advise you. Usually a response within a few hours but less than 24 hours. They will respond with advice, tell you to make an on the day appointment to see the doctor or nurse, advise a blood test etc. Saves a lot of time and hassle.

Okay I'll see if they offer this. Thank you

It's pretty simple for me - seven hours sleep is not enough for someone your age. Answer: get more sleep. (there is no other answer...)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending