How to spot signs of abuse early on?

Watch
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
My parents were psychologically abusive to me and this caused me to be socially inept growing up. I'd like to build new relationships, make friends or one day have a romantic relationship.
I notice that friends I had in the past were emotionally abusive to me, and want to know how I can break out of this circle. I just can't seem to spot the abuse from the beginning, because it's all I know. They say the relationships you build in life will reflect the relationship you have with your parents, but I don't want that to happen
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
bump
Anonymous #2
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
My parents were psychologically abusive to me and this caused me to be socially inept growing up. I'd like to build new relationships, make friends or one day have a romantic relationship.
I notice that friends I had in the past were emotionally abusive to me, and want to know how I can break out of this circle. I just can't seem to spot the abuse from the beginning, because it's all I know. They say the relationships you build in life will reflect the relationship you have with your parents, but I don't want that to happen
How do you know they we abusive and not just strict? Your current relationship history doesn’t mean you were abused, it means you just have an unhealthy idea of relationships, that usually comes from your mum and dads relationship with each other and how you percieved their relationship. There are also so many other causes. I wouldn’t cancel out your relationship with your family until you know for sure it’s toxic. It’s normal to not have a great relationship, abuse is definitely psychologically damaging but the main thing is that it causes massively massively low self esteem. Along with tons of other stuff. Idk man therapy?
Pathway
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I'd suggest therapy.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Following the government's announcement, do you think you will be awarded a fair grade this year?

Yes (106)
50.72%
No (103)
49.28%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed