The Student Room Group

I hate pop music, try and change my mind.

I’m not talking about 80s and 90s pop they aren’t too bad, I hate modern pop and all the pop songs you see trending on YouTube or in the charts or on the radio.
Try and change my mind.

Scroll to see replies

No Sinon, I won't change your mind cos I agree with you

Seriously its terrible. Makes my ears bleed.
Reply 2
Original post by JoshDarnIt
No Sinon, I won't change your mind cos I agree with you

Seriously its terrible. Makes my ears bleed.

Thank goodness, someone who understands 🙂
What kind of music do you listen to (and are you a fan of SAO by any chance?) 🙂
Original post by Icykitten
I’m not talking about 80s and 90s pop they aren’t too bad, I hate modern pop and all the pop songs you see trending on YouTube or in the charts or on the radio.
Try and change my mind.

What about EDM and R&B ? ._.
Thank goodness, someone who understands 🙂
What kind of music do you listen to (and are you a fan of SAO by any chance?) 🙂

I mainly listen to rock/metal but I enjoy piano and violin type music from time to time. Basically if it has emotion behind the music or/as well as meaninful lyircs then I'm sold.

(Yessss I love it! Can't wait for Season 3)
modern pop was probably not made for you anyway. i've always liked modern pop - ariana grande, khalid, alessia cara, rita ora, charlie puth, halsey.. talented artists imo with incredible vocals. i mean on the charts right now there are some respected artists along with some edm, rap, grime and/or indie rock songs so it's a bit varied too. i was losing faith in modern pop during 2014-15 but now there are many successful artists who i can't stop listening to and while many TSRians despise it, I quite like it. it's music you can dance to and it's creative and fun. it's arguably annoyingly repetitive and it seems to be losing originality but i love chart music in general.
Get Pharrell's last album, Outkast's Speakerboxxx/The Love Below and Chrvches debut album.

Maybe look for some Charli XCX and PC Music, and Justin Timberlake's 20/20 Experience (first one).

All of these are highlights in modern pop music for me.

Also Arianna Grande has some good tracks, check out Honeymoon Avenue and Be My Baby (with Cashmere Cat).

Jorja Smith & Preditah - On My Mind was a great pop record also.
Original post by Wilfred Little
Get Pharrell's last album, Outkast's Speakerboxxx/The Love Below and Chrvches debut album.

Maybe look for some Charli XCX and PC Music, and Justin Timberlake's 20/20 Experience (first one).

All of these are highlights in modern pop music for me.

Also Arianna Grande has some good tracks, check out Honeymoon Avenue and Be My Baby (with Cashmere Cat).

Jorja Smith & Preditah - On My Mind was a great pop record also.

It's 'Ariana' not 'Arianna' :cry:
Reply 8
Original post by Missradioactive
What about EDM and R&B ? ._.

I have never heard of it, what do you suggest I listen to?
Reply 9
I mainly listen to rock/metal but I enjoy piano and violin type music from time to time. Basically if it has emotion behind the music or/as well as meaninful lyircs then I'm sold.

(Yessss I love it! Can't wait for Season 3)

I’m a big metal and rock fan too, I barely know anyone who listens to it other than me.
I’m a big metal and rock fan too, I barely know anyone who listens to it other than me.

Omg same. I'm literally the only person who listens to it other than my dad. What are your fave bands?
Reply 11
Original post by rainclouds-
modern pop was probably not made for you anyway. i've always liked modern pop - ariana grande, khalid, alessia cara, rita ora, charlie puth, halsey.. talented artists imo with incredible vocals. i mean on the charts right now there are some respected artists along with some edm, rap, grime and/or indie rock songs so it's a bit varied too. i was losing faith in modern pop during 2014-15 but now there are many successful artists who i can't stop listening to and while many TSRians despise it, I quite like it. it's music you can dance to and it's creative and fun. it's arguably annoyingly repetitive and it seems to be losing originality but i love chart music in general.

In my opinion it’s hard to tell whether these artists have good vocals because their music is 99% auto tune and little talent at all (speaking for the artists I’ve heard of, never heard of about half of them)
I really hate rap and grime and all that stuff too, in some ways it’s worse than pop.
I understand that it’s catchy and all that but most modern pop/rap/grime songs have literally no lyrical meaning
I am posting from my phone and it autocorrected. I do apologise, most sincerely.

Please forgive this careless error.

Thank you.

Original post by Missradioactive
It's 'Ariana' not 'Arianna' :cry:
Reply 13
Omg same. I'm literally the only person who listens to it other than my dad. What are your fave bands?

Too many to list but here are a few:
Slipknot
Metallica
Iron maiden
Foo fighters
Nirvana
Queens of the Stone Age
Avenged sevenfold
Guns and roses
Linkin Park
Asking Alexandria
Bring me the horizon
Marilyn Manson
Pearl jam
Muse
Red hot chilli peppers
The killers
Of mice and men
Black veil brides
Pink floyd
Alice in chains
Nickelback
Motionless in white
(edited 5 years ago)
In my opinion it’s hard to tell whether these artists have good vocals because their music is 99% auto tune and little talent at all (speaking for the artists I’ve heard of, never heard of about half of them)
I really hate rap and grime and all that stuff too, in some ways it’s worse than pop.
I understand that it’s catchy and all that but most modern pop/rap/grime songs have literally no lyrical meaning

yeah I mean we used to have some really vocally talented artists so I understand the quality of pop music has deteriorated considerably over the years.
I still like it. I mean I imagine I'll be that adult who moans about modern music soon but we'll see until then :')
I agree harmonies and background vocals have been replaced by repetitive lyrics and autotune that diminishes the quality - for the worse not for the better.
The generalisation is probably true. Still we have a couple of political statement songs every now and then or diss tracks that peak the charts and they are quite meaningful. Can you provide some examples of songs with no lyrical meaning? I know it's painstakingly obvious still I'm wondering what songs have led you to this judgement.
Original post by Wilfred Little
I am posting from my phone and it autocorrected. I do apologise, most sincerely.

Please forgive this careless error.

Thank you.

Whoops, why give such an apology ? I didn't mean to 'accuse' you :smile:

I have never heard of it, what do you suggest I listen to?

I would suggest you to start with:

'All night' - Lauren Jauregui and Steve Aoki (EDM genre)

'Love lies' - Khalid ft. Normani (R&B genre)

:h:
Too many to list but here are a few:
Slipknot
Metallica
Iron maiden
Foo fighters
Nirvana
Queens of the Stone Age
Avenged sevenfold
Guns and roses
Linkin Park
Asking Alexandria
Bring me the horizon
Marilyn Manson
Pearl jam
Muse
Red hot chilli peppers
The killers
Of mice and men
Black veil brides
Pink floyd
Alice in chains
Nickelback
Motionless in white

You've got damn good taste! I like just about every band on there :biggrin:
Reply 17
Original post by rainclouds-
yeah I mean we used to have Pixie Lott and others so I understand the quality of pop music has deteriorated considerably over the years.
I still like it. I mean I imagine I'll be that adult who moans about modern music soon but we'll see until then :')
I agree harmonies and background vocals have been replaced by repetitive lyrics and autotune that diminishes the quality - for the worse not for the better.
The generalisation is probably true. Still we have a couple of political statement songs every now and then or diss tracks that peak the charts and they are quite meaningful. Can you provide some examples of songs with no lyrical meaning? I know it's painstakingly obvious still I'm wondering what songs have led you to this judgement.

Examples of songs with no lyrical meaning like:
Dua lipa - new rules
Pillowtalk - Zayn
Guici gang - lil pump

Tbh I don’t know most of the names or artists of the songs...
(edited 5 years ago)
Examples of songs with no lyrical meaning like:
Dua lipa - new rules
Pillowtalk - Zayn
Guici gang - lil pump

Tbh I don’t know most of the names or artists of the songs...

But 'New rules' has some meaning, like it's about the aftermath feelings of a breakup ? 🤔

I agree with you on the Gucci gang thing real hard though ! :fuhrer:
Reply 19
Was not a fan of the one by khalid but the other one wasn’t too bad lyrically, I just don’t like love songs much tbh
(edited 5 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest