nikiej028
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Hello, I'm currently Year 11 and have absolutely no idea when to begin revision.

I've looked at previous forums but all the advice is different so I'm not sure what's best. Some people recommend beginning revision right at the beginning of year 11 whilst some say the Christmas holidays is the best time to start and others say February half term.

I've spent a few days a week (2-4) creating flashcards using BBC Bitesize, watching videos or making notes in notebooks I've bought. I've been doing this for a few weeks now and all of a sudden I've started getting headaches whenever I attempt revision. Is this a bad sign already?

I'm looking to achieve higher grades (predicted 9s for English, 8 for RS and the rest 5s,6s,7s) and I'm worried I won't cover everything in time if I don't start early but I don't want to develop lazy habits if I allow myself to rest.

Does anybody have some advice which might help me out?
Rolls_Reus_0wner
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by nikiej028)
Hello, I'm currently Year 11 and have absolutely no idea when to begin revision.

I've looked at previous forums but all the advice is different so I'm not sure what's best. Some people recommend beginning revision right at the beginning of year 11 whilst some say the Christmas holidays is the best time to start and others say February half term.

I've spent a few days a week (2-4) creating flashcards using BBC Bitesize, watching videos or making notes in notebooks I've bought. I've been doing this for a few weeks now and all of a sudden I've started getting headaches whenever I attempt revision. Is this a bad sign already?

I'm looking to achieve higher grades (predicted 9s for English, 8 for RS and the rest 5s,6s,7s) and I'm worried I won't cover everything in time if I don't start early but I don't want to develop lazy habits if I allow myself to rest.

Just start now!
Allmysmiles
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago

Make your flashcards before christmas and start revising after a Christmas
Inspiringvisons
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago

Okay honestly it depends on what you know right now. If you know almost all the topics and have been working hard from the beginning of y10 then you are okay to start revision in December or later

but if you are not in that fortunate situation and have basically zoned out for the past couple of years then you need to start right now.

Also health over revision, I think your brain is looking for rest but it might also be due to vision problems. So you might want to make an appointment soon.
Infinite Series
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Start right now.

Try doing some work everyday after school and increase the workload as you get closer to exams.
ay_shayy
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Well what you don't want to do is start revising two weeks before your GCSEs started, giving you only around two days to revise for each exam, and then spend the entire summer panicking about how you probably failed all your exams... which is what I did. (Surprisingly, I passed with four 9s, five 8s, and an A. Must have been flukes if I'm being honest). You have plenty of time before your exams start though, so there's no need to worry, but you can start making revision material now if you wanna get a head start, and then go over the revision starting from Jan/Feb. If not, then you could just start the material in Christmas and revise a little everyday, frequently and regularly. You said you had been getting headaches, so you should probably take a break. Good luck mate
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 19 Oct '19
  • Coventry University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 19 Oct '19
  • University of Birmingham
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 19 Oct '19

Why wouldn't you turn to teachers if you were being bullied?

They might tell my parents (19)
6.6%
They might tell the bully (29)
10.07%
I don't think they'd understand (44)
15.28%
It might lead to more bullying (106)
36.81%
There's nothing they could do (90)
31.25%

Watched Threads