The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Some people lose weight, some people gain weight... it's normally made up for during the holidays. It's a natural part of being in a new environment.
Reply 2
I've gained quite a lot
at least 6 pounds, and have mini wings now lol
self catered
Reply 3
I've lost a bit... not sure how much. 3kgs?
And I'm in catered.
well it can be controled lol - if you regulate your diet you wont put on or gain - but hey what do i know I was 16 stone and have gone down to 11
Reply 5
its nonsense. you dont put on weight uness u keep eating bad foods. i lost weight cos i was not very good at cooking. if u drink a lot of larger and cider though, u may put on a pound or 2. but all this 15lb on average is just not true. u may put on weight if u just buy snacky foods etc but u dont just automatically put weight on if u go to uni. its all about what u put in your body!!
My brother lost about 10kg in his first catered year...in the 2nd year he found some good food around so he didn't lose any...in the 3rd year he went to live in a house with his friends and came back having gained weight (plus the amount he gains when he got back here [thailand]).

It depends what kind of person you are...if you're fussy, you'd more likely lose weight...if you're not fussy (like me) you'd probably gain weight because i like food, and any new food i like to try just about anything....and british food is more fattening than asian food....i hope the additional walking will keep my weight in check.
Reply 7
It depends how you eat / drink lol

I personally put on weight, but because I want to.
I spent a week in halls and lost half a stone (walking up stairs in a block of flats helped lol).

I have noticed on facebook that quite a few people from my 6th form have piled on the pounds. My ex (evil) best girl-friend went to uni a size 12, and now she's a size 22. LOL.
Reply 9
I guess in catered accommodation you're eating full meals and can have as much as you like I suppose, but that could also work for self catered, Im thinking because you can buy as much as you want and cook as much as you want, and theres always snacks and stuff because you do the shopping and there aren't any real set meal times, or, and this applies to me because I'm really not much of a cook, I could see myself eating a load of rubbish food because I can't cook anything healthy! You know beans on toast, microwave meals etc....not the best food ever!
I guess you have more control when you're in self catered, so its easier to diet, perhaps even resist the puddings, harder to do when they're right in front of you!
Reply 10
Well I lost 3 stone cos I was eating what I wanted and not all the junk my mum buys :smile: I've known other people to lose weight but quite a lot I know put weight on cos they just cook stuff like pizza and chips.
Reply 11
i lost a stone in my first term of uni, alot of vodka and no money for food! but since then i've put on about 1/2 a stone :frown:
I think i lost the weight because at home things arent great and i eat for comfort and also when im bored but at uni you just dont get bored and things are always great!! Im hoping to lose another stone by the summer!
Reply 12
Ilora-Danon
I spent a week in halls and lost half a stone (walking up stairs in a block of flats helped lol).

I have noticed on facebook that quite a few people from my 6th form have piled on the pounds. My ex (evil) best girl-friend went to uni a size 12, and now she's a size 22. LOL.

Eeeargh! Sounds horrendous. Yeah people seem to either lose or gain a LOT. I'm going into self catered, I can't cook, I don't eat much unless it's cooked for me and I don't like alcohol, also I rather like certain appetite supressing illegal substances so I'm hoping I'll lose weight rather than balloon...
Reply 13
My brother is in catered and he's lost a little weight, I think that's just due to generally being busy and not making time to eat though.
Reply 14
I've put on weight :frown: I haven't really eaten more than I did at home, probably a lot less infact, but at home I get healthy home cooked meals and eat loads of fruit and veg but at uni it's all takeaways and ready meals and just general junk. I really need to get into shape over the summer and hopefully next year i'll manage to eat a bit healthier!
Yuffie
Eeeargh! Sounds horrendous. Yeah people seem to either lose or gain a LOT. I'm going into self catered, I can't cook, I don't eat much unless it's cooked for me and I don't like alcohol, also I rather like certain appetite supressing illegal substances so I'm hoping I'll lose weight rather than balloon...

I gained about half a stone (catered), and I was intentionally eating more than I do at home.
I've gone from 9.5 stone to 11 stone during my 1 and a half years as a student :frown:. I lose a little bit in the hols but it always comes back when term starts. I blame my inability to cook anything other than chili con carne and pasta. I also live 5 mins from campus. Still I'm planning to join a gym this time round and learn how to cook healthy stuff. Trouble is healthy food tends to cos me a fortune.
In catered I lost a stone.

The food is really that foul and the portions were TINY!
Reply 18
sunnysummer
its nonsense. you dont put on weight uness u keep eating bad foods.[\QUOTE]

Not necessarily, you can put on weight (fat and muscle) by eating the "right" foods, especially if you were underweight before hand.

My brother, in his first year at Sheffield, put on some weight and grew about two inches. This was at a quite late age (20). That came down to actually eating good meals at regular intervals. He never used to have meals before hand. Was never in the house.

Since moving out into private accomofation though he's gained weight, this time the wrong kind of weight. He's got quite a beer belly lol.

I stayed at home for two of my years at uni, the third year I lived in a house and put on some weight (too many pizzas). For my final year I'll be in college accomodation (self-catered) and will probably be losing somd e, given that I only have £8 a week to spend on food!
Reply 19
I put on about a stone in my first year of uni due to too much alcohol and eating too much crap. The post club food didn't help either.

I started to work to lose it all about a year ago and have lost it plus a little extra and have kept it off this year by improving my habits.

Latest

Trending

Trending