QTS Skills Tests - Cannot Pass Maths, Have other qualifications so lost what to do: Watch

Olden1000
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 months ago
Hello,

I am looking for some advice really,

I have been working at a special needs school for 8 years as a teaching assistant. I have a first class BA (Hons) degree in Special Education and a Masters degree in Child Development. My goal is to become a teacher but I cannot pass the maths QTS skills tests.

Even with tutoring I am just not able to do so due to the mental maths part and the rest is ridiculously weak. It's embarrassing.

I even tried to do a PGCE in Post-Compulsory Education and get QTLS (Qualified Teaching Learning Skills Status) which has parity of pay/standard to QTS. I did this because it had no skills tests. But it felt wrong and of course not a primary teaching route/only transferable to secondary teaching as a loop hole, but ultimately for colleges/sixth forms.

I've looked at Early Years Teacher Status (EYTS) but that also has the same skills tests attached so I might as well choose the primary route with the QTS.

I am at a loss. I feel I have a range of qualifications, wealthy experience and knowledge but cannot get onto the "proper" route of a one year course to prove it all.

I now feel overly qualified to be a TA and like I will never get to where I want to be. It does not pay well and with a BA (Hons) and MA I just don't know what to do about it all.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated
Sceptical_John
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
Why not just go the QTLS route? I know a couple of people are in procress or have done this. Not neccesarily to avoid skills test but it seems perfectly legit.

12. What is the relationship between QTLS and QTS and can I teach in primary and secondary schools if I have QTLS?

Since April 2012, teachers and trainers holdng QTLS who are also members of SET have been recognised in legislation as equivalent in status to teachers with QTS in schools. They are able to teach across all subjects and all ages on equal pay and conditions, opening up career development and wider employment opportunities.
airfixfighter
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by Olden1000)
Hello,

I am looking for some advice really,

I have been working at a special needs school for 8 years as a teaching assistant. I have a first class BA (Hons) degree in Special Education and a Masters degree in Child Development. My goal is to become a teacher but I cannot pass the maths QTS skills tests.

Even with tutoring I am just not able to do so due to the mental maths part and the rest is ridiculously weak. It's embarrassing.

I even tried to do a PGCE in Post-Compulsory Education and get QTLS (Qualified Teaching Learning Skills Status) which has parity of pay/standard to QTS. I did this because it had no skills tests. But it felt wrong and of course not a primary teaching route/only transferable to secondary teaching as a loop hole, but ultimately for colleges/sixth forms.

I've looked at Early Years Teacher Status (EYTS) but that also has the same skills tests attached so I might as well choose the primary route with the QTS.

I am at a loss. I feel I have a range of qualifications, wealthy experience and knowledge but cannot get onto the "proper" route of a one year course to prove it all.

I now feel overly qualified to be a TA and like I will never get to where I want to be. It does not pay well and with a BA (Hons) and MA I just don't know what to do about it all.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated
I don't know where you are, but you don't have to do the skills test to train in Wales. Although you do need a B in Maths and English GCSE (and science for Primary) get on the course.
Claudette
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
You must have passed GCSE maths in order to think of applying? How did you get on with that?
Now I’m going to sound like a right mum here but there is no such word as can’t.
I can say that because I thought myself I can’t ever pass gcse maths and I did, it took 22 years, I worked my socks off and I did it. I have dyscalculia, Scotopic sensitivity and processing disorder. I get it, it’s hard when you have extra hurdles to climb but with practice and self belief you can do this. If I can anyone can.
Please don’t give up on your dream, you have come this far and have excellent qualifications and experience just keep ploughing on, That’s what I’m going to do and although I think it might take me a few times I am determined to do it.
Reality Check
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by Claudette)
Now I’m going to sound like a right mum here but there is no such word as can’t.
:lol: TSR is in great need of more 'mums', to whip the self-entitled brats into shape.

I totally agree with your sentiments, by the way.
username1039383
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
All I can say is YOUTUBE HELPED ME PASS THE SKILLS TEST!!
theres soooo many helpful videos on the content and vids about the test (they even show ways you can save time)
kmatthewd89
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Omg I am the same. I am so over qualified now with 5 yrs as a teaching assistant and one year as a qualified English teacher and I have been unable to pass the skills test in numeracy since 2015!!!!

I am ready to commit!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have a food intolerance or allergy?

Yes - a food intolerance (97)
14.85%
Yes - a food allergy (71)
10.87%
Yes - an autoimmune disorder (i.e coeliac, colitis) (16)
2.45%
Yes - I have an intolerance and allergy (18)
2.76%
No (451)
69.07%

Watched Threads