Adam Jan
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
hey guys, this is an essay question for Meta Ethics (OCR) which I find difficult to answer or find "For and Against" points for.

Please someone help, I'm really stuck.

Thanks
Gwil
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I'm not familiar with the OCR syllabus, but for an essay of this kind, you might be expected to evaluate the challenges to the meaningfulness of ethical language that have been made by the fasification principle and the verification principle, along with the responses to these challenges. Most important is your own opinion; most of us believe that moral statements have meaning, so you should be able to explore why you feel that way and let your convictions drive the points you make.
absade
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Heyy,
For this question you need to look at the different perspectives and what they say eg.
Logical Positivist - AJ Ayer
Ethical Naturalist - G.E. Moore - definition of Goodness, can’t be identified for example, you can’t describe yellow to someone
Then evaluate their claims
G.E. Moore for example says - Ethical language is meaningless “good is good and that’s all” . This gives objectiveness to goodness as we cannot give it a definition. However, this fails to take into account the subjectiveness of goodness, if good is good why does the idea of goodness varies amongst us ?. Ethical language can then be argued to be meaningful because they are required in ....
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you confident you could find support for your mental health if you needed it in COVID-19?

Yes (29)
19.46%
No (120)
80.54%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise