Juxtaposition12
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Hello, I’m currently a gap year student ( this is my second gap year) applying for university this year and I’m worried about my future.

I recently resat my a levels this year and I went from 3 Bs to A*AA plus an A* in Sociology A level which I picked up fresh in my first gap year. So my final results are A*A*AA

My question is, would I be able to bypass the filters that ask for AAB at A level? Either because I achieved them with my resits or because my results in first sitting are A*BBB despite doing Sociology in a different sitting to the others( for the firms which ask for UCAS points)?

Would it be beneficial to do another A level (I have an A at AS in Government and Politics) in hopes of achieving an A/A* so I had A*ABB in ‘first sitting’?

Thank you

Edit: I had no mitigating circumstances that led me to achieve 3 Bs.
999tigger
Badges: 19
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Juxtaposition12)
Hello, I’m currently a gap year student (second gap year) applying for university this year and I’m worried about my future.

I recently resat my a levels this year and I went from 3 Bs to A*AA plus an A* in Sociology A level which I picked up fresh in my first gap year.

My question is, would I be able to bypass the filters that ask for AAB at A level? Either because I achieved them with my resits or because my results in first sitting are A*BBB despite doing Sociology in a different sitting to the others( for the firms which ask for UCAS points)?

Would it be beneficial to do another A level (I have an A at AS in Government and Politics) in hopes of achieving an A/A* so I had A*ABB in ‘first sitting’?

Thank you

JSP is the person to speak to as thats their job.

My input is it depends what the firm asks for as to whether you meet the requirements.

1. Resits are ok if they just ask for grades.

2. Resits not applicable if they ask for at first sitting.

3. In situations of equivalent UCAS points, then you dont meet the criteria, but you can contact them and ask if they will consider your application based on UCAS points. They say yay or nay.
Ak4753
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Hello, I’m currently a gap year student (second gap year) applying for university this year and I’m worried about my future.

I recently resat my a levels this year and I went from 3 Bs to A*AA plus an A* in Sociology A level which I picked up fresh in my first gap year.

Thank you

If a firm asks for first sitting and you had no mitigating circumstances (like, none that a doctor/school will verify) you'll most likely be filtered out. It's that simple.

If they don't (many don't by the way) then I'd just mention your top 3 grades.
Juxtaposition12
Rep:
?
(Original post by 999tigger)
JSP is the person to speak to as thats their job.

My input is it depends what the firm asks for as to whether you meet the requirements.

1. Resits are ok if they just ask for grades.

2. Resits not applicable if they ask for at first sitting.

3. In situations of equivalent UCAS points, then you dont meet the criteria, but you can contact them and ask if they will consider your application based on UCAS points. They say yay or nay.
Thank you for responding! Would my A* in sociology that I achieved a year after count toward achieving a levels in first sitting? So my best 3 would be A*BB. Cheers!

J-SP
Juxtaposition12
Rep:
?
(Original post by Ak4753)
If a firm asks for first sitting and you had no mitigating circumstances (like, none that a doctor/school will verify) you'll most likely be filtered out. It's that simple.

If they don't (many don't by the way) then I'd just mention your top 3 grades.
It truly is an unforgiving field! Do you think picking up 1/2 extra a levels and hopefully achieving As in them would boost my chances at bypassing the ‘first sitting’ filter?
999tigger
Badges: 19
Report 2 years ago
Thank you for responding! Would my A* in sociology that I achieved a year after count toward achieving a levels in first sitting? So my best 3 would be A*BB. Cheers!

J-SP
The firm can make up any criteria it likes. if unclear then only the firm can tell you.. That is why you ask them before wasting an application.
Your uni grades can put you in a better place.
Ak4753
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
It truly is an unforgiving field! Do you think picking up 1/2 extra a levels and hopefully achieving As in them would boost my chances at bypassing the ‘first sitting’ filter?
Technically you'd pass the stage but I wouldn't do it. You'd probably still need to provide the dates you took the exams. 3 years after gcse could be forgivable (again, mainly for ext circs) but receiving a qualification 4 years after? It'd be essentially useless to them.

My advice is to apply where you qualify with your current A-Levels and forget about taking more.
Juxtaposition12
Rep:
?
(Original post by 999tigger)
The firm can make up any criteria it likes. if unclear then only the firm can tell you.. That is why you ask them before wasting an application.
Your uni grades can put you in a better place.
Thank you! Well hopefully I’ll be able to perform well at uni
Juxtaposition12
Rep:
?
Technically you'd pass the stage but I wouldn't do it. You'd probably still need to provide the dates you took the exams. 3 years after gcse could be forgivable (again, mainly for ext circs) but receiving a qualification 4 years after? It'd be essentially useless to them.

My advice is to apply where you qualify with your current A-Levels and forget about taking more.
I see! I didn’t really have any extenuating circumstances really just one bad exam in each subject.

Thank you for your advice
Ak4753
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Hello, I’m currently a gap year student ( this is my second gap year) applying for university this year and I’m worried about my future.

I recently resat my a levels this year and I went from 3 Bs to A*AA plus an A* in Sociology A level which I picked up fresh in my first gap year. So my final results are A*A*AA

Thank you

The other issue you'll face is the best law programs want first sits as well. It's a competitive course. So there's that.

If you some how manage to hack a top law program then your a levels will become markedly less important for the firms that don't have that filter. But that's just it; without circs, it's not really likely you will.
Juxtaposition12
Rep:
?
The other issue you'll face is the best law programs want first sits as well. It's a competitive course. So there's that.

If you some how manage to hack a top law program then your a levels will become markedly less important for the firms that don't have that filter. But that's just it; without circs, it's not really likely you will.
Hopefully that shouldn’t be a problem I hope to do the GDL or whatever the conversion is now - SQE?

Applying for a non law course ! Thank you for the warning though
Juxtaposition12
Rep:
?
(Original post by J-SP)
Depends on the organisation you are applying to.

A lot of firms don’t have the filter you think they do.

Those that do, will typically want it across three full A-levels sat in the same year and on first sitting. So your idea of taking another A-Level isn’t a good one.

But there will be some that will allow resits.

You are just going to need to be proactive in contacting firms at the point of applying and checking their stances on this rather than just firing off applications and hoping for the best.
Thank you! I will definitely bear that in mind. It’s nice to know my interest in law isn’t totally unrealistic (based on my current academics only).
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (343)
55.86%
I don't have everything I need (271)
44.14%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise