The Student Room Group

Urgent - ucas personal statement

I am one line over the limit of 47.

So should I cut the spaces out and make it like a big block of text. Would universities recommend that, feel it is negative or what?

Many thanks
Just try to make two small paragraphs a big one
Reply 2
Original post by Rolls_Reus_0wner
Just try to make two small paragraphs a big one

That is going to be difficult, as the paragraphs are big
Original post by TurboZX453
That is going to be difficult, as the paragraphs are big

dont worry, it will be fine.
don't try to start combining any paragraphs. you want to show admission tutors you can structure your personal statement and not create blocks of text which can come across boring or lazy. Cut down a paragraph, rephrase words. You're gonna have to get desperate, I just fixed like forty sentences to cut down a line which was tenuous, even if it cuts down 2 characters because this will shorten paragraphs. cut down phrases like in addition or also unless u really need them which u wont i only have like 3 sentences starting with this. you can cut down, just be smart about it.
I know loads of people who remove the lines due to lack of space. It doesn’t massively impact admissions tutors opinion of you. They understand you’re working to a limit
Reply 6
Original post by saffarinda
I know loads of people who remove the lines due to lack of space. It doesn’t massively impact admissions tutors opinion of you. They understand you’re working to a limit

Would you like to read a wall of text, after yet another wall of text?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
As others have said, your statement demonstrates your English prowess, and should show that you're able succintly summarise important information that is easy to read - a large chunk of text with no break is not easy to read. But honestly, this depends a lot on what course/univerasity you're applying for. For non-competitive courses, for example Harry Potter Studies at Loughborough, I doub't admissions would blink an eye, compared to a course like PPE at Oxford where it definitely will matter!

If you can reword/restructure certain parts to ensure that your paragraphs are explicitely independant of one another, then I'd highly advise that!
Original post by Doonesbury
Would you like to read a wall of text, after yet another wall of text?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Not particularly in a regular essay. Constrained to 4,000 characters I could understand it and prioritise content. Many people do it and still get offers at top universities, including Oxbridge. It isn’t a priority within the admission’s process.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending