The Student Room Group

Hard complex numbers question (De Moivre's)

A) Express e^ix/2 - e^-ix/2 in terms of sin x/2

Fairly simple

B) Hence, or otherwise, show that 1/(e^(ix) -1) = -1/2 - i/2 (cot (x/2)).

Have no clue, obviously you can simplify the cot to give i/2tan(x/2) but other than that not sure really, especially with the hence.

Help appreciated

NOTE: I know I post a lot but it's only because 1. I love maths and 2. I do a lot of questions
Original post by psycholeo
A) Express e^ix/2 - e^-ix/2 in terms of sin x/2

Fairly simple

B) Hence, or otherwise, show that 1/(e^(ix) -1) = -1/2 - i/2 (cot (x/2)).

Have no clue, obviously you can simplify the cot to give i/2tan(x/2) but other than that not sure really, especially with the hence.

Help appreciated

NOTE: I know I post a lot but it's only because 1. I love maths and 2. I do a lot of questions

I'd start with the lefthand side.

How can you you use part A? Clearly it relates to the denominator. So, what could you multiply the top and bottom of the fraction by to get the denominator in the form of part A?...
(edited 5 years ago)
rearrange your answer to part A to get an expression for e^ix in terms sin(x/2), substitute this into B and replace i/2tan(x/2) by i/2sin(x/2)/cos(x/2) and simplify.
Reply 3
Original post by ghostwalker
I'd start with the lefthand side.

How can you you use part A? Clearly it relates to the denominator. So, what could you multiply the top and bottom of the fraction by to get the denominator in the form of part A?...

Multiply top and bottom by e^-ix/2?
Original post by psycholeo
Multiply top and bottom by e^-ix/2?

Yep, and then you can sub in from part A, etc. (I assumed you'd go ahead and do it).

Quick Reply

Latest